💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Tom Ford criticizes Jared Leto's performance

Featured Posts

Tom Ford has criticised Jared Leto’s performance in House of Gucci.

In the film, which was released last week to mixed reviews, Leto plays Paolo Gucci, the one-time chief designer of the Italian fashion company.

Ford, who worked for Gucci between 1990 and 2004, condemned Leto’s take on the late fashion designer.

He said: “Paolo, whom I met on several occasions, was indeed eccentric and did some wacky things, but his overall demeanour was certainly not like the crazed and seemingly mentally challenged character of Leto’s performance.”

Ford – who, as well as being a fashion designer, has directed two films in A Single Man and Nocturnal Animals – added that Leto’s acting was “literally buried under latex prosthetics”.

He further said that the film was the “Saturday Night Live version” of the Gucci family.

As well as Leto, Ford also criticised Al Pacino’s performance as Aldo Gucci, the chairman of the fashion company for over three decades. He said: “Both performers are given license to be absolute hams – and not of the prosciutto variety.”

Having experienced the events of the film first hand, Ford was also critical of the cartoonish nature of the film: “It was hard for me to see the humour and camp in something that was so bloody. In real life, none of it was camp. It was at times absurd, but ultimately it was tragic.”

While critical of the film, Ford praised the performances of Lady Gaga and Adam Driver and also said House of Gucci had “impeccable costumes, stunning sets, and beautiful cinematography”.

House of Gucci portrays the relationship between Maurizio Gucci and Patrizia Reggiani. It explores how Reggiani plotted plotted Gucci’s assassination in 1995 while Ford was creative director of the iconic fashion label.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/tom-ford-jared-leto-house-of-gucci-b1966125.html

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there's something to say about using true crime stories to make hollywood dramas....maybe we shouldn't. Gaga's even said in interviews that she has to live with patrizia's children probably not liking the movie and the experience being bad for them. There's not really a world where a movie about something like this is praised by the people it really happened to. 

Healed My Heart

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I also disliked Jared Leto's performance. It felt very off from the tone of the rest of the movie to me. It felt like everyone else played their characters seriously, and with reverence, and he just felt like a caricature. After seeing it, I'm really surprised there has been talk of an Oscar for his performance.

Also, I can't believe he had a "don't drop the soap" joke in 2021.

She/her 💗💜💙

BlingNotTheMusic
1 hour ago, AnnaNicoleSmith said:

House of Gucci had “impeccable costumes, stunning sets, and beautiful cinematography”.

This along with the acting (imo) made it great. He's right about a lot but I loved Jared Leto's performance.

Surprised he didn't come for the script or plot lol 

Lady Gaga Ok GIF by House of Gucci

Mother of Puppies
2 minutes ago, Healed My Heart said:

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I also disliked Jared Leto's performance. It felt very off from the tone of the rest of the movie to me. It felt like everyone else played their characters seriously, and with reverence, and he just felt like a caricature. After seeing it, I'm really surprised there has been talk of an Oscar for his performance.

I have to agree.... there were some moments where it was ok - like when he said "Gucci is my name too" but the moments when he was being serious were rare. I wasn't the biggest fan of his performance, because like you said, all the other characters were serious in their roles and his performance, to me, felt a bit over the top. (Trying too hard to be funny)

(That's just my taste)

Call me LADY MOP & I'll mop the floor with you 🧹

BlingNotTheMusic
4 minutes ago, Healed My Heart said:

I totally get this, but I took him as the comedic relief amongst the high camp and dramatic events that were happening left and right. It was a breath of fresh air amongst the intensity of the rest of the film. But many people agreed with you actually so :bear:

3 minutes ago, Healed My Heart said:

He was so over the top but there was something very fun for me about it, it was fun to watch, and in moments where I was a bit bored it kinda kept me going with the movie

BlingNotTheMusic
Just now, AnnaNicoleSmith said:

He was so over the top but there was something very fun for me about it, it was fun to watch, and in moments where I was a bit bored it kinda kept me going with the movie

I'm so sad his "It's a-CHIC-UH" didn't make it into the film :fail:

1 minute ago, WheresMy911Alice said:

I'm so sad his "It's a-CHIC-UH" didn't make it into the film :fail:

omg yeah i also noticed they didnt put that one cut in lol

6 minutes ago, Healed My Heart said:

Yes i also disliked JL's performance. It made me cringe everytime he was on the screen.

I don't know if the real Paolo was this annoying, childish and weird but it totally wore down the vibe of such an amazing movie.

Healed My Heart
2 minutes ago, WheresMy911Alice said:

It totally get this, but I took him as the comedic relief amongst the high camp and dramatic events that were happening left and right. It was a breathe of fresh air amongst the intensity of the rest of the film. But many people agreed with you actually so :bear:

1 minute ago, AnnaNicoleSmith said:

I get that! For me, I enjoyed the humorous moments that felt more natural, like Adam just being cute and silly. Jared felt like he was trying too hard to me. But he got a lot of laughs at my theatre for sure!

She/her 💗💜💙

1 minute ago, Healed My Heart said:

I get that! For me, I enjoyed the humorous moments that felt more natural, like Adam just being cute and silly. Jared felt like he was trying too hard to me. But he got a lot of laughs at my theatre for sure!

That reminds me there was a man in the cinema I went to who was laughing at almost every scene, it was such a vibe :ladyhaha: he seemed to enjoy himself a lot

Archived