💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
news

Variety raves that Gaga is first real singer/movie star since Cher and Babs

monstertoronto

Featured Posts

monstertoronto

Read this amazing article about Gaga in Variety today. They think she’s a huge movie star. The whole article reads like Variety is campaigning for Gaga to win an Oscar and I’m here for it. Here are a bunch of excerpts: 

…Lady Gaga. Suddenly, she’s ruling the movies like no one else this year.

Black Widow? Godzilla? Venom? Vin Diesel? Michael Myers? James Bond? Well, okay, maybe Bond — or the sandworms in “Dune” — could give Gaga a run for her money. But I’d wager that the current of excitement running through the chatter about Gaga in “House of Gucci” is hitting comparatively higher levels of palpitation. She’s earning her buzz the old-fashioned way, by giving a performance that has to be seen, in a movie that’s being talked about the way movies used to be talked about….

…it’s old-school movie-star acting executed with fire and finesse and command.

There’s no doubt that Gaga is the film’s commercial spark plug. People want to see her; she’s driving the conversation in Hollywood. And who thought that a movie — not a Marvel movie but an actual movie — could drive the conversation anymore? But, of course, Lady Gaga had already done that — in “A Star Is Born,” the film that linked her, almost karmically, to Streisand, the last woman to drive a remake of “A Star Is Born” (she was also the one who converted it into a rock musical). The Lady Gaga/Bradley Cooper “Star Is Born” was a galvanizing movie that went through its own reductive 21st-century media-myopia experience: It was showered with love, until it wasn’t — until the loftier-than-thou pundit culture decreed that the movie, which should have won the Oscar for best picture, was too “soapy” and “déclassé” to deserve that honor. But remember what happened on Oscar night? Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper showed up to sing “Shallow,” and the entire world treated the splendor of their performance as if it were a revelation. One wanted to ask, “Uh, did you happen to see a movie called ‘A Star Is Born’?”

…For years, it was Streisand, more or less alone, who carried the power-actress baton. Even in mediocre movies, she had a radiance, a smart-mouth joy, an inner melancholy, a je ne sais quoi.

And that’s what Lady Gaga has. She’s the greatest pop star of the last 20 years, so you might assume that her fan base would, of course, turn out to see her in a movie like “House of Gucci.” There’s no doubt that’s part of what’s driving the film’s success. But one needs to understand just how rare that is. Pop stars, in theory, should be major draws on the big screen, and you’d think they’d be natural-born actors, but they generally turn out to be neither. There’s a reason: Onscreen, pop stars tend to confuse the impulse to act with the compulsion to pose. Onstage, they are actors, but not intimate actors, and intimacy is what the big screen requires. On rare occasions, a pop star will cross over to become a movie star, but mostly the landscape is littered with music icons who tried and failed to make that leap.

Gaga, I think, has the chance to become a movie star on that rarefied level. It’s not just that she’s as good as Cher (who at her best, in “Moonstruck” and “Mask,” was a powerhouse of an actress), or Wahlberg or Tupac. It’s that she has the potential to do for movies what Streisand did: give them a human center of gravity. 

What makes Gaga a star in “House of Gucci” is her glimmer of innocence, the way that she never lets us stop seeing the small-time striver within the big-time schemer. To me, the most potent part of her performance comes when she’s on the outs: her dressing down of Paola (Camille Cottin), her romantic rival, in St. Moritz, or the scene where she shows up outside Maurizio’s door with a book of family photographs. I confess: I was moved. Even as I chuckled at the fact that Adam Driver’s Maurizio had turned as cold as Michael Corleone in “The Godfather Part II.” No, Gaga doesn’t chew the scenery, but she does enact the desperate drama of getting her just deserts. Even when she’s arranging to have Maurizio killed, it’s not grand opera — she’s haggling over the price. The story that “House of Gucci” tells is undeniably, and thrillingly, outrageous, but Lady Gaga keeps it grounded, genuine, emotionally centered. The movie is her pedestal. A star is borne.

read the whole article:
https://variety.com/2021/film/columns/lady-gaga-is-a-born-movie-star-house-of-gucci-1235120679/amp/

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
StarstruckIllusion

Cher comparisons? Whew I’ll take those over the Madonna ones anyday :legend:

4 minutes ago, StarstruckIllusion said:

I read reviews from top critics that were comparing her performance in HOG to Sophia Loren :giveup:

• monstertoronto changed the title to Variety raves that Gaga is first real singer/movie star since Cher and Babs
ChicaSkas

Try to not put the whole article in the post, we can be dinged for copyright 

Do YOU own the 4' by 6' Perfect Illusion promo Poster? Will pay you for it. Pic: http://i.imgur.com/UWuzumk

monstertoronto
9 minutes ago, Anderson123 said:

Popstar, actress, songwriter, jazz performer. :tony:

…and movie star! 😉

monstertoronto
12 minutes ago, StarstruckIllusion said:

The article actually also says that in the context of becoming a movie star she’s done better than Madonna, Bowie, and the Beatles!

Just now, monstertoronto said:

…and movie star! 😉

And businesswoman! According to the British Vogue interview, Haus Labs rakes in £100m a year :diane:

monstertoronto
4 minutes ago, ChicaSkas said:

Try to not put the whole article in the post, we can be dinged for copyright 

It’s not the whole article, just the best parts! 

7 minutes ago, papergangster said:

Does anyone know how much Gaga was paid for HoG role? 

It hasn’t been revealed yet.

CyanDante

"And that’s what Lady Gaga has. She’s the greatest pop star of the last 20 years"

no-lies-detected-lie-detector.gif

I'm not very good with Social Mediaᵀᴹ

Roronoa

Humility is something Beyoncé and Madonna lack. That’s why they’ll never create that intimacy/ human touch Gaga has on a movie screen. 

Archived