Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Does Licorice Pizza rub you the wrong way?

Dennis

Featured Posts

Magic Mike

We’re talking about PT Anderson, such a delicate and thoughtful director, and you guys without even seeing the thing try to cancel him…

Go watch a PTA film.  

lol 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HosedDownGypsy

The one thing I keep thinking bout is how if this was the other way around, a 25yo man and 15yo girl this would never see the light of day, would never be made let alone praised. If released it would have caused a huge shitstorm.

So, it deffinitely shows the hypocrycy of our society.

RAIN ON ME

PartySick
1 hour ago, Dennis said:

Judge Judy Do Not Want GIF

Technically they're right. Pedophilia is a sexual attraction to prepubescent children. Hebephilia is an attraction to minors going through puberty (usually 10-15 depending on sex). What seems to be in this movie though is ephebophilia which is an attraction to minors/young adults between 15-20.

🖤

PartySick
1 hour ago, HosedDownGypsy said:

The one thing I keep thinking bout is how if this was the other way around, a 25yo man and 15yo girl this would never see the light of day, would never be made let alone praised. If released it would have caused a huge shitstorm.

So, it deffinitely shows the hypocrycy of our society.

There's definitely a double standard with age gaps :rip:

Imo, if it's between two consenting adults then no one else really has any room to be commenting on it.

A 15 year old with a 25 year old though? Eh :huntyga: but I can't even watch the trailer right now (at work) so Idk what this movie is about.

🖤

LilyLark
On 11/28/2021 at 1:05 PM, Magic Mike said:

We’re talking about PT Anderson, such a delicate and thoughtful director, and you guys without even seeing the thing try to cancel him…

Go watch a PTA film.  

lol 

I saw it today (I'm in L.A. for the holiday weekend). I'm a big fan of PTA and it wasn't quite as bad as I feared...but it's still pretty awful. Richard Lawson from VF is a critic I trust and he described it as kind of "squicky", which is how I would characterize it.

If the genders were reversed, I suspect the media would be up in arms about this. People normalize this sort of thing with boys way too much. And I'm not particularly squeamish and had no issue with Diary of a Teenage Girl, Call Me By Your Name, Fishtank, etc. but I had a problem with this even though the 'love' story is mostly just flirtation. The main issue is that it kind of acknowledges the age gap with a wink wink, yes, it would be illegal but then proceeds to essentially romanticize it for the most part unlike the other films mentioned above (well, CMBYN romanticized the story but 17 is also legal in many parts of the US and I'm pretty sure it is probably legal in Italy).

I think it would have been less unsettling if they had made him 17 (even tho that's not legal in California). Because even though it seems like a tiny gap, there is a major difference between a 15 year old and a 17 year old. At 17, I was just starting college (university for non-Americans) several hours away from my home. I lived on my own (in a dorm, obvs.), did my own laundry, etc.....I was basically a quasi adult, albeit a young one.  At 15, I couldn't drive and was a high school sophomore and junior and was very much still a child. Also, in the US many 15 year olds are high school freshman (I was young for my grade). Think of it this way—if you live in the UK, a 15 year old isn't even in sixth form.

Archived