💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

*Spoiler* I just can't get over this.

SharkmanthaC

Featured Posts

SharkmanthaC

I just got back from seeing HOG for the second time.

There is a minor part of the movie that bothers me. In the Christmas scene with Patrizia and Maurizio and their daughter, Maurizio gives Patrizia a Bloomingdale's gift card.  But gift cards weren't even really a thing yet. Even imdb has this listed as an anachronism. It just bothers me that they made this mistake....it was obvious to me when I watched it the first time. I tried to think that maybe it was just that Bloomingdale's had gift cards before every other store, but I don't think that's the case.

That's all, I'm off my soapbox now.

Gaga is still amazing and the movie is still great. 

she/her/hers

Pennywise

now let us stop this discourse before stan twitter gets a hold of it :poot:

close-door-shut-door.gif

YOUR GOD IS NOT HERE MICHAEL NOR WILL HE EVER BE

BlingNotTheMusic

Lmao this is the second time I'm reading this from a user :ladyhaha: According to Google they became popular in late 1994 when Blockbuster started doing them. So based on the fact she was arrested in Jan 1997, Maurizio was murdered March 1995. therefore theoretically, it could make sense. 

Does anyone know if this happened in the book?

EDIT: NVM Maurizio split from Patrizia in 1985. We should be OUTRAGED :neyde:

Also, apparently he packed a bag and has A FRIEND tell Patrizia that he wasn't coming back. What a douche. Why is the movie so different from the actual story?!

SharkmanthaC
6 minutes ago, Nano said:

5 minutes ago, WheresMy911Alice said:

Lmao this is the second time I'm reading this from a user. According to Google they became popular in late 1994 when Blockbuster started doing them. So

Which would have been after their divorce. The timeline doesn't make sense.

And I remember just from when I was younger...gift cards didn't really start becoming popular until I was in high school really. Which would have been around 1999-2003.

she/her/hers

ProfessionalClown

If I’m not mistaken it was more of a certificate which I think a lot of stores had, especially high end stores where you would go in and basically use a paper or card that was the equivalent of money, but it was more for rich people kinda like how black cards are. They were only for select people and obvi the head of Gucci would be able to get one. 

gift certificates were invented in the 1930’s at retail boutiques and other stores, and I think Bloomingdales was definitely one that did it alongside neiman Marcus who created the gift card in 1994 while blockbuster normalized it.

BlingNotTheMusic
11 minutes ago, SamanthaC said:

Which would have been after their divorce. The timeline doesn't make sense.

And I remember just from when I was younger...gift cards didn't really start becoming popular until I was in high school really. Which would have been around 1999-2003.

I edited my comment to reflect my Google research :zilla:

it's funny because in the book it, on their last Christmas together Maurizio actually gets Patrizia an antique watch, which she hated, and a keychain :laughga:  She got him some cufflinks. 

I can see why they would make it something more obviously disappointing, like a gift certificate, though. I never really thought about it being not right for the period!

SharkmanthaC
19 minutes ago, ProfessionalClown said:

If I’m not mistaken it was more of a certificate which I think a lot of stores had, especially high end stores where you would go in and basically use a paper or card that was the equivalent of money, but it was more for rich people kinda like how black cards are. They were only for select people and obvi the head of Gucci would be able to get one. 

This part makes sense and is the explanation I'm going to go with. :ladyhaha:

she/her/hers

SharkmanthaC
31 minutes ago, WheresMy911Alice said:

Lmao this is the second time I'm reading this from a user :ladyhaha: According to Google they became popular in late 1994 when Blockbuster started doing them. So based on the fact she was arrested in Jan 1997, Maurizio was murdered March 1995. therefore theoretically, it could make sense. 

Does anyone know if this happened in the book?

EDIT: NVM Maurizio split from Patrizia in 1985. We should be OUTRAGED :neyde:

Also, apparently he packed a bag and has A FRIEND tell Patrizia that he wasn't coming back. What a douche. Why is the movie so different from the actual story?!

7 minutes ago, LaLa said:

it's funny because in the book it, on their last Christmas together Maurizio actually gets Patrizia an antique watch, which she hated, and a keychain :laughga:  She got him some cufflinks. 

I can see why they would make it something more obviously disappointing, like a gift certificate, though. I never really thought about it being not right for the period!

Like @LaLa said, in the book it's a watch and keychain. But yes, he has a friend tell her he's not coming back. The whole story is sick and twisted. The movie doesn't even mention the second daughter. I think it's one of those "based on real events" where they took Hollywood liberties and made it how they wanted it to appear. I'm not through the book yet, but would recommend it. I will probably read it a second time because there are so many details. 

she/her/hers

Archived