💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Grammys address controversial nominations (Manson, C.K, DaBaby, Chappelle)

alsemanche

Featured Posts

alsemanche

President and CEO of the Recording Academy Harvey Mason Jr. has responded to the controversial Grammy nominations of artists like Marilyn Manson and Louis C.K., telling TheWrap that personal and criminal history won’t be taken into account for eligibility of its awards. Instead, the Recording Academy will exercise control over Grammy night invitees.

“We won’t restrict the people who can submit their material for consideration,” Mason Jr. said. “We won’t look back at people’s history, we won’t look at their criminal record, we won’t look at anything other than the legality within our rules of, is this recording for this work eligible based on date and other criteria. If it is, they can submit for consideration.”

He continued by explaining how the Academy could exercise discretion over who attends their events. Mason Jr. added, “What we will control is our stages, our shows, our events, our red carpets. We’ll take a look at anyone who is asking to be a part of that, asking to be in attendance, and we’ll make our decisions at that point. But we’re not going to be in the business of restricting people from submitting their work for our voters to decide on.”

https://consequence.net/2021/11/grammys-nominations-controversy-ceo-reacts-marilyn-manson-louis-ck/ 

Soft, soothing, and succulent

alsemanche

The level of idiocy in this response... Expected nothing better from the Grammys anyway 

Soft, soothing, and succulent

edengowon

dababy and marilyn only got nominated through kanye's album though, right? it's not like they actively sought to nominate those two, they just happened to get nominated because of their contribution to a popular album. 

don't know about the rest though.

the artist formerly known as melancholia

If they won't look at people's criminal record, they could nominate also a killer if we take it to the extreme? That answer is simply stupid

bloody g

this is so dumb, let's give hitler a grammy too right?? art and artist should not be separated

『𝐟𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐛𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐝』

salty like sodium
45 minutes ago, alsemanche said:

The level of idiocy in this response... Expected nothing better from the Grammys anyway 

I mean ... Not really. If they are going to start banning everyone with a criminal record from applying, then quite a lot of musicians would be unable to submit their material for consideration. I think even Jay-Z wouldn't be eligible, and he's one of the most nominated performers in History ... I think preventing people from submitting work for consideration is the wrong kind of censorship, because ultimately the voters are the ones who will determine who the winner is so it makes no sense that the academy would be able to dictate who the voters should be allowed to vote for or not. Where their control lies is in terms of who they invite to attend the ceremony and perform on the stage, so everything they said makes sense to me. But maybe that's just me. 

The grammys are absolutely flawed in loads of other ways though lmao. Just I don't think this decision is that ridiculous, personally. 

BlingNotTheMusic

Sad. Grammy's been over for a while now tho. The 2017 snubs of all the great female musicians was enough for me.

BUtterfield 8

So they’re basically saying that controversial ppl can be nominated but they won’t able to attend the award shows?

Bleachella
2 minutes ago, salty like sodium said:

I mean ... Not really. If they are going to start banning everyone with a criminal record from applying, then quite a lot of musicians would be unable to submit their material for consideration. I think even Jay-Z wouldn't be eligible, and he's one of the most nominated performers in History ... I think preventing people from submitting work for consideration is the wrong kind of censorship, because ultimately the voters are the ones who will determine who the winner is so it makes no sense that the academy would be able to dictate who the voters should be allowed to vote for or not. Where their control lies is in terms of who they invite to attend the ceremony and perform on the stage, so everything they said makes sense to me. But maybe that's just me. 

The grammys are absolutely flawed in loads of other ways though lmao. Just I don't think this decision is that ridiculous, personally. 

I don’t think anyone is asking people with any criminal records to be excluded from nominations but perhaps rapists and sexual predators would be a decent idea to exclude. Spotify did it, removing R Kelly and X from their official playlists. It’s not hard 

I understand what he's saying, that it would be difficult to police everyone submitting. But it sure would be nice if the members voting for the nominations would consider just who they're voting for. That's where more work needs to be done -- too many people don't care that their peers are acting in harmful ways. And then it's shocked pikachu when you end up with an industry rife with predators. 

Archived