💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Is It A Red Flag When Someone Only Have White Artists In Their Faves List?

RAMROD

How Many POC (Black, Asian, Latino, Etc.) Artist In Your Faves List?  

211 members have voted

1. 1. How Many POC (Black, Asian, Latino, Etc.) Artist In Your Faves List?

• About A Couple
    • None
    • More than 5

Featured Posts

Gagas lil monster

I think the notion that you have to listen to music based off of an artists race is strange. 

While, not listening to an artist because of their race is, undeniably, racist, simply not listening to an artist because their music doesn't appeal to you is not in anyway.

I think it becomes dangerous to label critisism of the music as "racist" or it simply not being your taste as "racist". 

I'd just like to add that this is coming from a person who does listen to many artists of many ethnicities. 

So, to answer your question, as long as someones not purposely avoiding an artist because of race, it is not racist 

With Peace and love

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
alsemanche

Well there's a difference between someone actively avoiding artists who aren't why and coincidentally listening to mostly white artists. If someone makes sure they only listen to white artists, that's definitely a red flag. But if someone's playlist just happens to be full of white artists then who cares? Personally, I listen to more white artists but it just happens to be that way. I never actively seek to avoid artists who aren't white, and some of my favorite artists (FKA Twigs, Frank Ocean...) are not white. I don't think that makes anyone racist because I (and others like me) am not looking at an artist's race when I discover them, and more often than not, I don't even know what they look like or where they're from upon first listen. 

Soft, soothing, and succulent

Lona Delery

it depends on your reason i guess?

with the genres i like, there are just less black artists than white artists

like... i couldnt think of a single POC artist who is similar to current Lana/Weyes Blood/Joan Baez for example which is what im vibing with a lot rn, but im open for recommendations

Sometimes it feels like I've got a war in my mind, I wanna get off but I keep riding the ride

it's a systemic thing more than a single person issue, but nowadays rap / RnB / all that world (sorry I know nothing about that genre lol) is very en vogue so it is almost impossible to not like music from BIPOC - because the genre itself is strongly linked to Black American identity and culture; but people can not like the genre altogether and then, let's be honest about it, it gets more difficult to listen to soppy pop and find black people, because every genre has its own aesthetic stereotypes and codes and pop is still dominated by white, blonde, skinny women, and people go with the expected.

Of course, if you like only a certain genre, I find it more possible to close yourself to a part of the world - like, I remember my edgy emo years when I obsessively listened to emo screamo and all that jazz and--- that was a very white scene. No surprise that half the people I listened to ended up being exposed as some shade of **** :fail:

Also, more "aged" music can result in a lot of white people listening to white people, because music history has been touched by racism too - like, with grunge: Tina Bell, a black woman, was one of the true founder of the genre, but up until last year no one talked about her in grunge-related articles, even if Kurt Cobain himself was a roadie for her band! And that's true for all "alternative" music imho: the scenes were whitewashed and a lot of bipoc contributors are forgotten.

Jazz music? That's as black as it gets.

Only classical music is predominantly white because - well.

I could go on on this rant forever - I think it's my fever going up lol - but the point is, casual listeners can accidentally exclude BIPOC from their music catalogue because of contingency / ignorance (if they're not WILLINGLY doing it), but if you're interested in a specific genre you will in a way or another find bipoc, even if they're not universally acclaimed, and discover that they were the true zeitgeist setters for that music!

LGBTQIA2+ BIPOC artists have the "luck" of being recognised nowadays and loved by the community, so they're to be excluded by my previous line of thought, I think - racism from the GP is still happening, even queerphobia, but inside the community they're seen, they're expanding the rainbow to colours long forgotten, they bring new perspective, they decolonise music, they bring in new words and languages, and I love that for us!

Генерал Марина Абрамовић

JusKeepBreathin
2 hours ago, ARTVENUS said:

Aaliyah, Sade, Rob zombie

:heart:

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

salty like sodium
8 hours ago, Bleachella said:

most artists are white... huh?????????????????????????

Yes, percentage wise you will notice that like with all industries due to systemic discrimination the results will probably be at least 50% white artists making up the industry, if not more. Don't blame me for society's flaws :messga: In fact, if you look at this report for the UK, 75% of workers in the music industry here are claimed to be white: https://www.ukmusic.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/UK_Music_Diversity_Report_2020.pdf. Also, I'm talking exclusively about the types of artists who live in Western societies and have the funding to become chart blockbusters, because those are likely to be the musicians most people of the GP will listen to (I'm sure there are plenty of women in Africa and Asia who could actually be just as successful as Lady Gaga, but the reality is that she is from the US so she has had a lot more opportunities than them). 

Also, if you google "biggest pop stars of 2020", 8 out of 10 of the results are white people (yes, even Dua Lipa and Ariana Grande are white, surprise surprise): https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=AOaemvKPZS0TsEl7WSeX28YkkIJSnYajJg:1635335217470&q=Biggest+pop+stars+2020&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAOOQMRJLykxPTy0uUSjIL1AoLkksKlYwMjAyiDLIyC9XyE3Mq1QozsxLTwUKJxalAhUlK-TnKZRkpCokZebkJOUnFqUoJGckFpUUn2Lk1U_XNzRMqkirLM5OTofxk81NKwvSy4HyXPq5-gaW6dkplSanGDlBnJQcUzNzqISJuUV8fC6UY1ZuVJxnClVlmlsSXwg3vtzCKLnYAKiQGyRnaFCUZmBe-YtRzAmrPxpYGBex4pC7xSbJcGMml2mYeEzg_OvJdbt0vuwKqvnCzvra9zwA1HafBBoBAAA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwip4ua1wurzAhUlnVwKHa4VBLMQ4qYDegQIIRAJ&biw=1680&bih=847&dpr=2

I listen to indian songs, arabic, european, american, i dont care who u are how u look like if the song is good I will listen to it. But there are some white people mostly in the US, who are into bands that are white, singers that are white, and can't get into anything with soul, Ive never seen it as a red flag per say, to me it would be a red flag if all the movies they watch only has white people in it, like how weird. But some white people just love rock n roll, and a lot of them are white, or they just have that white vibe, only like the beach boys, for rap they only like Beastie Boys. I can't get into that too much personally, does it make me racist??? I don't like rappers who are white, except Eminem, and it's not about them being white, their voices are just bad, and the beats they pick are meh, even Eminem he's one of those rappers who picked such goofy beats & needed Dre to help him out a little bit. They just don't have that spirit. Same for soul and blues, I mean to be honest with you all, the only best singers ever in the world happen to be black, they have soul in them, a lot of it, they just sing so well, everyone tries to recreate it, but for them it's just natural it comes naturally. Every genre in music mostly created by black people, jazz, rock n roll, rnb, rap, and i love all of that. There would be nothing interesting without them, thats why I think I happen to mostly love artists who happen to be black. Marvin Gaye, Sam Cooke, Michael Jackson, James Brown, Prince, Ella Fitzgerald, I mean these were monster talents, MONSTERS. 

TasteLikeWhiskey

Most of the comments on this thread (and this type of thread) is a Red Flag to me :what:

I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong

Sepsami

My most listened to POC is Azealia Banks :mark: Not ideal representation but we all know she has monstrous talent 

JohnWayne92

Good god…the beauty of music is, it’s a voice, and until you put a face to the voice, it has no color. This thread is ridiculous. 

Yes it definitely is

It does not make you a RACIST trumpy person per se but what are your standards which have not allowed people of color to enter?

Your BEAUTY standards, your ART standards... they are all fruit of colonization.

Why are your references so white?

Have you given them a chance without labeling them urban or R&B other than music?

Trevstar4

That’s an awful way to assume someone is racist just because their music tastes don’t involve poc

Archived