Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
movie

Eternals - Marvel film dubbed 'most disappointing' MCU movie

CyanDante

Featured Posts

CoolTrainerTerry
1 hour ago, LG2008 said:

Mess... I bet it's not that bad. Like, there are some bad movies in the MCU and they got better RT scores. This has to be a disaster and there's no way that's happening

Exactly. People have been asking Marvel to do something outside of their usual formula, but now they're complaining it's too different? Like, really? Or the reviews saying it's too serious and not that funny when they've been complaining about Marvel movies not being serious enough and trying too hard to be comedic. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. 

And it's not that I don't think they could have legitimate problems with the movie. It's just weird to me that this is the type of movie people have been wanting from Marvel - slightly more serious, not following the MCU formula, etc. - and now those same people are complaining it doesn't follow the traditional MCU model. I mean, come on. Worse reviews than The Dark World and The Incredible Hulk? Is this going to be the cool thing to do now?

Whatever. I'm going to see the movie, and I'm going to love the hell out of it. 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
salty like sodium
On 10/25/2021 at 2:13 PM, Eido said:

Are they the same critics who criticized Invasion on Apple TV for being too "pretentious" because they killed the only white American on the first episode and because the show is not set on the USA only but on the whole planet?? :huntyga:

wait this really happened? :huntyga: i can't imagine people actually complaining about that when show's sole poc characters often get killed off first and consistently and no one actually cares. the double standards are seriously ridiculous 

MCU is always cheesy, corny, and you can guess the ending pretty easily, the conflict is boring, the villains are boring, the characters are underwhelming, the heroes are boring and cookie-cutter. That's why I like DC more, even if some movies were not perfect, at least it's interesting, it has some interesting themes, it's darker, the new Batman looks like it will have a mystery/investigation, with an actual villain that scares you, and a hero that's not cookie-cutter and actually has layers. That's what's interesting in a superhero movie. Not for them to be perfect or predictable all the damn time. For me the first Spiderman in MCU with Tobey but also Andrew were great, it had touching characters, and an entertaining plot. The rest is just so bad, but so successful weirdly

James Gibson

I watched it yesterday, best Marvel film I've ever watched since I usually don't like them lol. Chloe Zhao is a true talent.

Angelina, Barry Keoghan and Lauren Ridloff were my favorites. Just wonderful.

Was meh about the final scene and post credits clips tho ngl

CoolTrainerTerry

Yeah, saw it last night. It was incredible. The ending was...I guess strange is a good word for it, but I still loved it. Like, I honestly do not understand the "complaints" the critics had. 

B2theRich33

Saw it last night…. First half dragged a little too long… second half was great. I’m really interested to see what’s going to happen now. 

MelbHawker

I just saw the film & I was flawed at the direction taken by Zhao & co. Without spoiling anything - I really applaud them for *not* following the cliche superhero movie formula.. sure, the ‘save the world’ theme was there but in a completely different way when you compare the film to previous MCU films. You don’t leave the cinema feeling entirely satisfied for where the heroes (or Earth) end up because the plot isn’t resolved nor are the conflicts - in truth, this film raises more questions than gives answers. 

The casting was perfect. I loved the diversity of the actors involved, & how they translated it on screen - it felt seamless & refreshing. Ridloff & Keoghan had such amazing chemistry, as did Jolie & Lee - in a really platonic way. Madden (god he is so sexy) & Chan weren’t as strong IMO chemistry-wise, but were so great as Sersi & Ikarus so I can forgive. I so want to see more of these characters. The Celestials portrayal was epic - the Deviants less so IMO. The latter felt like somewhat of an afterthought but I also understand why given the plot. 

I love how Zhao celebrates the beauty of our planet in her work - the locations chosen as backdrops for the conflicts were stunning to look at. Makes me really miss traveling. I also found the jumping-between-time storytelling to be really engaging. The flashbacks fueled the plot & the present day scenes were almost like watching the characters goes through therapy. I need to see it again but my initial thoughts re: it are that it was a nuanced epic. 

Saw it last night and loved it! Felt like such a breath of fresh air within the MCU. The audience score on RT is at 86% now btw, so many people seem to love it too. Poor critics, they only want to see Captain America's and Iron Man's while instead they now have a beautiful & diverse cast to love. Their loss :ohwell:

KevinLeto

Don’t understand why the critics hate this movie. I’ve just seen it and absolutely love everything about it!!!

I'm the spirit of my hair, it's all the glory that I bare

half psychotic

I just watched this and I really wanted to like it but I felt like it just dragged on too long and I didn't really feel invested in anything that was happening throughout the movie.

StarstruckIllusion

The reaction from fans has been so sad. As someone who doesn’t care about Marvel, I really liked this movie and hope a sequel comes out… but now I’m not too sure :(

Archived