đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
new video

Kacey Musgraves - camera roll

COOOK

Featured Posts

Can't listen to this song without crying. Her SNL performance just broke me, especially when she herself seemed overwhelmed. 

I don't understand pineapples, so I don't eat bananas.

Glamourpuss

This is a stunning song and made it to my 'all time favourites' list.  

I'm obsessed with the ethereal "look at me I'm living all alone, and now you're only living in my phone" part. I can't get it out of my head. It's just so perfect. :heart:

3 minutes ago, ProfessionalClown said:

I swear the entire album is a masterpiece and it DESERVES MORE RECOGNITION 

I had a hard time getting into it but the more I pay attention to its lyrics the more it grows on me

Glamourpuss
53 minutes ago, ProfessionalClown said:

I swear the entire album is a masterpiece and it DESERVES MORE RECOGNITION 

You're right it really does deserve more recognition.

I can't believe I posted in the album thread about how I don't like it and won't be returning to it only for it to grow on me about 2-3 days later and now I honestly think it's one of the best albums ever made. I also think it's better than Golden Hour. 

spector

it's one of my favorites off the record. it's hauntingly simple and, at the same time, clever. for instance, the last line alone is a triple entendre, a very kacey-esque word play.

[...] there's one where we look so in love
before we lost all the sun
and i made you take it

(1) take it—taking the photo (saving their memory).

(2) take it—taking the sun away (losing their love).

(3) take it—making the other take their star-crossed predicament (enduring/insisting on/staying in love).

akin to a three-act drama, which kacey mentioned as a framing structure for the album in the apple music  interview, these circular, self-reinforcing stages, i think, take the listener (and the lovers) back to the very beginning of their music (their love), rendering it to act as a swan song that never ends—that lives on.

don't go through your camera roll

(3) don't go—don't take our love away, endure it, stay.

(2) through—our sun is taken away, our love is through.

(1) camera roll—the memory of our love saved in the photos taken.

as such, the song—that is titled camera roll and is about a camera roll—itself acts like a camera roll: it captures something, lets it live within, plays it on repeat, and refuses to let it go. that something is both there and not there, its existence is altered, its presence is both saved and lost. just like the very love that the song thematizes—and just like the very structure of the song itself. very meta.

10-102329_film-vector-free-transparent-p

capturing—taking something out of a state (life), altering it (photo), for which, paradoxically, light is needed (sun). the photo kills, to put it differently. love kills.

stella + elliot = stelliot

ItWasntLaauv

This was such a stand out track, she captures mourning the intricate details of relationships, like the pictures of you two together so well. I’ve been having a hard time lately with that same concept, looking at photos of my last really meaningful relationship and just thinking of how it used to be so amazing and how it’s like we’re worlds apart now, but with that slight connection still being there through memories and pictures.

She made me feel so particularly seen with this song. It’s hard to fully put into words how wonderful her songwriting is at capturing the full spectrum of human emotion. :heart:

Archived