Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Lady Gaga signs NYTimes Gun-Control Petition

Americano

Featured Posts

Something like this is so predictable. Celebrities endorsing this movement to help make a cultural impact and use this tragedy to remove the American's right to bear arms... Their opinions are really on the same level as anyone else. They may be able to reach more minds, but they aren't that important, just people with money and fame... Those are as common as happy meals in this day and age and people who think for themselves will not be so easily swayed.

We're giving these wackjobs too much power to make sweeping changes like this. Although I do agree with an assault weapons ban to reduce the potential of these situations, I am against the removal of all weapons. I'm sorry if you think that is irrational but if we know anything from history from China and other tyrannical governments, taking away a person's right to defend themselves will open to door to more controlling and invasive policies. Freedom is a priceless commodity and if this sort of thing is considered, it should be through all three branches of government along with open communication with the public.

I think people forget how governments so easily abuse their power from the past. Remember how the British had little to no respect for the early colonials? Stationing troops at people's homes and the corruption at those levels of authority?

Guns in the people's hands is sort of the same situation as the nuclear standoff between nuclear armed nations. The fear of reprisal keeps the opposing powers in check. If a crook knows you have a shotgun ready to take his face off, he might think twice before invading your home. Cops are great when they are reliable, but that is not always the case.

People think we live in a world that is all unicorns and rainbows? No, this is about survival and protection of one's own being in this cruel and ****ed up world and that should be anyone's right. No one has the authority or the right to take that away. I feel terrible about those lost to tragedies like this. However, people die like this all the time all over the world. Don't let anyone take advantage of your emotions to make you give up your precious rights is all I'm trying to say.

I don't even own a gun, but I respect a person's right to have one.

Silence those demons... . 🖤

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Stranger

YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS FINALLY GOOD LORD I AM SHAKROIE$&*RJFJFJFJFJFA*RU(UIAEJFKEL THE BEST THING I EVER HEARD A TRUE LEGEND THIS SHOULD OF HAPPENED YEARS AGO :worship:

Morphine Prince

Something like this is so predictable. Celebrities endorsing this movement to help make a cultural impact and use this tragedy to remove the American's right to bear arms... Their opinions are really on the same level as anyone else. They may be able to reach more minds, but they aren't that important, just people with money and fame... Those are as common as happy meals in this day and age and people who think for themselves will not be so easily swayed.

We're giving these wackjobs too much power to make sweeping changes like this. Although I do agree with an assault weapons ban to reduce the potential of these situations, I am against the removal of all weapons. I'm sorry if you think that is irrational but if we know anything from history from China and other tyrannical governments, taking away a person's right to defend themselves will open to door to more controlling and invasive policies. Freedom is a priceless commodity and if this sort of thing is considered, it should be through all three branches of government along with open communication with the public.

I think people forget how governments so easily abuse their power from the past. Remember how the British had little to no respect for the early colonials? Stationing troops at people's homes and the corruption at those levels of authority?

Guns in the people's hands is sort of the same situation as the nuclear standoff between nuclear armed nations. The fear of reprisal keeps the opposing powers in check. If a crook knows you have a shotgun ready to take his face off, he might think twice before invading your home. Cops are great when they are reliable, but that is not always the case.

People think we live in a world that is all unicorns and rainbows? No, this is about survival and protection of one's own being in this cruel and ****ed up world and that should be anyone's right. No one has the authority or the right to take that away. I feel terrible about those lost to tragedies like this. However, people die like this all the time all over the world. Don't let anyone take advantage of your emotions to make you give up your precious rights is all I'm trying to say.

:clap: I am so glad you are part of this forum :legend:

:worship:

if we could pass this law and everyone would follow it, then of course. but there is no way in hell that will happen.

After I read some posts here,I totally see how right the view on Americans is in the movie ''Bowling for Columbine''

After I read some posts here,I totally see how right the view on Americans is in the movie ''Bowling for Columbine''

What is the view of Americans in that movie?

I promise I won't be offended. I don't consider myself very American.

My name isn't Timmers

What is the view of Americans in that movie?

I promise I won't be offended. I don't consider myself very American.

I can't describe it. It's like that Americans think that having a gun is American and that a gun is for ''protection''.

But I can say that in Europe,where guns are illegal, less people die.

You can watch the movie online

I can't describe it. It's like that Americans think that having a gun is American and that a gun is for ''protection''.

But I can say that in Europe,where guns are illegal, less people die.

You can watch the movie online

I'm on the anti-gun side of things, but the U.K. is the size of just one state. I tried using the "less deaths in the UK" argument on Facebook, and I got beat down with "The U.K. is the size of Wisconsin."

Edit: But yes, most Americans are gun-huggers, and many gun-huggers are what we Americans call rednecks.

My name isn't Timmers

Morphine Prince

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

Don't know in what context he said it, but I think it can apply.

I'm on the anti-gun side of things, but the U.K. is the size of just one state. I tried using the "less deaths in the UK" argument on Facebook, and I got beat down with "The U.K. is the size of Wisconsin."

Edit: But yes, most Americans are gun-huggers, and many gun-huggers are what we Americans call rednecks.

You could say EU,the EU has the nearly size of the USA. (:

You could say EU,the EU has the nearly size of the USA. (:

What are those gun death statistics? The statistic I found was that there were 68 deaths by gun, including suicide, homicide, and accidental, in 2008 in the U.K compared to 60,000 in the United States the same year. I don't know the statistics of the EU.

My name isn't Timmers

What are those gun death statistics? The statistic I found was that there were 68 deaths by gun, including suicide, homicide, and accidental, in 2008 in the U.K compared to 60,000 in the United States the same year. I don't know the statistics of the EU.

I only found a map

_42812111_gun_deaths_glob_map416.gif

I don't even know why people are flipping out about this. There will not be a complete ban on guns. It's not going to happen. And yet my pro-gun friends are having a meltdown. Their irrationally melodramatic reactions are telling, though--indicative of individuals who know they support increasingly untenable and questionable positions. Fear not, though. You can stop freaking out: the government isn't going to ban all weapons. Even if that evil, liberty-hating commie Obama wants to. (#sarcasm)

The fact is the statistics are murky. Saying that violence has increased after stricter gun laws...well, let's just say the corrrelation isn't clear. Just because violence (in this case in the UK) has risen after the banning of weapons doesn't mean those particular statistics actually inform one another in deep or meaningful ways. Just as Nicole can come back and correctly cite the statistic that gun laws seem to have worked and decreased the rate of certain violent crimes in Australia. The truth is that so many things inform violence and violent crime rates--so many sociocultural factors influence these things--that parsing out clear correlatives is extremely difficult.

Here's a fairly good and unbiased collection of relevant statistics that seem to indicate--not surprisingly--that stricter gun control does, indeed, lead to less gun violence: http://www.washingto...-united-states/

What most people are now saying is "it's time to have discussions about stricter gun control laws"--not bans on ALL firearms. And this is not only an understandable dialogue to have--it is an essential one. Weapons SHOULDN'T be easy to obtain. And there are certainly specific classifications of weapons that have NO PLACE in civilian hands (I come from southern roots--farm country. I understand how engrained in some peoples' lives firearms are. For hunters, for instance. And one could even argue they're necessities for farmers, who do still sometimes have to protect crops and livestocks from being preyed upon). I'm okay with people owning guns. But it is definitely an item with very limited use, and there is nothing wrong with the government keeping a close eye on the trading of such things.

What's really ridiculous is people learning about this situation, and instead of saying "okay, maybe we should at least have the gun-control conversation" or "maybe we need to re-evaluate the way we understand, react to, and treat mental health in this country" have instead immediately declared the need for more guns ("arm the teachers!") or more God (which is just such an obvious deflection from the fundamentalists that it's not even worth rebutting). That those are the first impulses of so, so many people is reflective of a fundamentally flawed logic, and a refusal to understand that THE ANSWERS WON'T BE EASY.

It's not going to go away by arming teachers or being a more Christian nation. It's going to go away when we understand and admit that these things are caused by an incredibly complex interrelation of factors. It will require legislation, yes--but more than that. It will require a deep and difficult re-evaluation of our priorities as a country, and our understanding of our "American" character. We need to look at gun laws, mental health, and a whole slew of sociocultural factors (starting, perhaps, with economic disparity, which is inextricably connected to overall crime rates).

Archived