💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Billy Porter hits out at Vogue

Teletubby

Featured Posts

Teletubby

mag.jpg

Billy Porter has hit out at Vogue's decision to use a straight, white male for their first gender neutral fashion shoot. Harry Styles in Gucci dress made history as the first solo male cover star of US Vogue in its 127 years.

Billy Porter- who often wears dresses at red carpet events - explained  'I created the conversation [about non-binary fashion] and yet Vogue still put Harry Styles, a straight white man, in a dress on their cover for the first time.

'I’m not dragging Harry Styles, but he is the one you’re going to try and use to represent this new conversation? He doesn’t care, he’s just doing it because it’s the thing to do. 

'This is politics for me. This is my life. I had to fight my entire life to get to the place where I could wear a dress to the Oscars and not be gunned now. All he has to do is be white and straight.'

source source

i'm just a baby and @Juanlittlem is my ❀*·ꕤ. ☁️eternal enemy🌩️。˚❀

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/17/2021 at 2:58 PM, Teletubby said:

This is politics for me. This is my life. I had to fight my entire life to get to the place where I could wear a dress to the Oscars and not be gunned now. All he has to do is be white and straight.'

source source

This :applause:

Edit: I am seeing a lot of white people saying Billy Porter should get over it and that is making me so mad. They don't know the struggle of being POC, especially being black, but are out here telling brown and black people how to feel after cashing in on the progress that mainly brown and black queer men and women have enabled for all of us.

It's incredible what Harry is doing, but you cannot deny that someone like Billy, who's been breaking boundaries for centuries amidst big adversity, deserves just as much praise and success.

DanielM

It's just clothes, but okay, go ahead, act like wearing a dress is gonna solve the problems of the world :saladga: So rude and unnecessary.

LIL NAS X was a better choice than Harry. 

I think the decision was based taking sales in considerstion. Vogue is a big mag that depends on advertising and Harry is very popular.

If you asks those brands who'd rather have on the cover they would easily pick the option with most following to reach a higher audience.

Reality

Isn’t Harry Styles queer though?

I understand his frustration. A lot of the times, media will tend to highlight white LGBTQ people instead of LGBTQ POC because it’s more “politically or socially advantageous” to do so; however, Styles isn’t just “doing it just because it’s the thing to do.” He’s queer himself and he genuinely likes the fashion.

What I find really interesting, and kinda sad, is this weird flip-flop mentality when it comes to queer men. Y’all praised Lil Nas X for expressing his sexuality, but then a couple of weeks ago, I saw a thread where like 80% of the comments called him “annoying” and that he was “trying to hard.” Y’all praised Harry Styles for, again, expressing his sexuality, but now some of y’all are like, “Yeah! What Harry Styles is doing isn’t even that big of a deal. He’s just following a trend”. Like what???

EDIT - I also think that this brings up a different conversation in the LGBTQ community about what it means to express “being gay” or just “being queer” in general. I feel like so many times, you’re either “too gay” or “not gay enough,” and sadly a lot of those times, those labels come from within the community itself.

Dress how you want, wear makeup if you want, do whatever you want to express yourself, but at the end of the day, choosing to do those things doesn’t define your inherent romantic or sexual feelings. 

🖤👹

thatfoxyfeeling

Yeah go off Billy cause you haven’t been wearing dresses to red carpets for attention. He needs to get over himself, firstly saying that Harry is straight and secondly saying he doesn’t care. Who is he to say that about someone else, so hypocritical and does more harm than good to the community. 

elijahfan

He’s so salty…. Get over yourself, Porter.

A straight man being unafraid to show his queer side is absolutely the way to go. If your problem is missing out on being the first male in a dress on the cover of Vogue, I suggest you check your sense of priorities. And don’t accuse others of not caring when you’re literally whining over yourself.

bionic
Just now, elijahfan said:

He’s so salty…. Get over yourself, Porter.

I would be salty too if my gender-forward fashion was sidelined in favor of a watered-down version by a straight white man

buy bionic

enissa11
17 minutes ago, Reality said:

Isn’t Harry Styles queer though?

no, he's straight ally, he's never define himself as queer or bi, it's just that there have been a lot of speculation scrutiny of his sexuality, and gay men obsessed with him, just like Shawn Mendez etc

Mad Architect of Light

alsemanche

His frustration is totally justifiable 

30 minutes ago, Teletubby said:

'I created the conversation [about non-binary fashion]

But this is a reach. Did he contribute to making the conversation mainstream? sure, but he definitely did not create it 

Soft, soothing, and succulent

Archived