💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Billy Porter hits out at Vogue

Teletubby

Featured Posts

YourEvilTwin

Billy's working from the assumption that Vogue was trying to "make history" by publishing a nonbinary cover, and hence they were wrong to choose a straight white man.

But I don't think that was the case at all. I think they simply decided that it was okay now to put a man in a dress on the cover. In other words, they didn't choose Harry Styles to represent nonbinary people, but rather they chose him because he was Harry Styles, and it was okay now to have him in a dress.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pharamon

All the Harry Styles stans laughing at this...while all he said was facts...Harry does nothing and gets praised to Gods.

gagaisitalian

Grammy-winning musician with millions of devoted passionate fans or the guy who was in the new Amazon Prime Cinderella

This is not a race issue

Blastertoyo
1 hour ago, SKANK said:

Brad Pitt and Kurt Cobain wore dresses on the cover of magazines 20 years ago, Harry is following in their footsteps.

Billy is wonderful, but he absolutely did not "create the conversation about non-binary fashion."  That is pure ego talking.

This. 
also also 

the conversation is about breaking gender barriers in fashion and billy is making it about sexuality. Straight people can identify as non-binary too, a lot of the conversation I’ve seen here is speculation on whether Harry is “queer” or not because he hasn’t disclosed whether or not he likes men. He can be queer simply because he doesn’t identify with traditional gender norms, non-binary people are part of the queer community too, even if they are t one of the letters in LGBTQIA+.That’s not the point of the magazine cover, it’s a f a s h i o n magazine, Harry wearing a dress following in the footsteps of these other men you mentioned (and Billy and others) pushes the gendered f a s h i o n narrative. Would it have been nice for them to also break down the sexuality barrier and put someone who’s visibly LGBTQIA+? Definitely, but they made the choice not to and the silver lining in that is that they can still put a visible gay man on the cover for the first time. :enigma:

Billy (and many here) are making it about “straight clothing” vs “queer clothing” and that isn’t even what this is about.

:huntyga:

please enlighten me to death

KevinLeto
8 hours ago, DanielM said:

It's just clothes, but okay, go ahead, act like wearing a dress is gonna solve the problems of the world :saladga: So rude and unnecessary.

It’s not just clothes though. Clothes have always been political.

I'm the spirit of my hair, it's all the glory that I bare

Maybe they chose him because they wanted to show a straight white male in a dress? Nothing wrong with that.

if youre a traditional str8 white guy = toxic maculinity

if youre anti that, an ally and embrace ur feminine side = you’re pandering to the gays and taking their jobs lol  

rasclautmangos

So what he's saying is that he wears dresses for attention and is mad that Harry also wears dresses for attention?

gypsy101
5 hours ago, Reality said:

So what about all the non-famous people out there in the world that are queer but have not come out yet? Are they "benefitting" from straight privilege?

yes. if you’re gay and pass as straight then you benefit and implying you don’t is ridiculous.

Porter is so unnecessarily bitter. Maybe he should hire a publicist who can make a deal to be on the cover next time.

Also, maybe they would have Porter on covers if he wasn't such a bitter cry baby about everything.

I think Lil Nas X would be a much better cover star than Porter though if we want to talk about a black queer person.

pachinko
11 hours ago, dojo said:

LIL NAS X was a better choice than Harry. 

I think the decision was based taking sales in considerstion. Vogue is a big mag that depends on advertising and Harry is very popular.

If you asks those brands who'd rather have on the cover they would easily pick the option with most following to reach a higher audience.

They chose Harry because he is white.

pachinko
3 hours ago, Pharamon said:

All the Harry Styles stans laughing at this...while all he said was facts...Harry does nothing and gets praised to Gods.

That has a name...it is called white privilege.

6 minutes ago, pachinko said:

They chose Harry because he is white.

They chose Harry over Billy because Harry is white? That's the only reason? Oprah Winfrey Reaction GIF

Side-eying a LOT of you in this thread. I'm taken aback at how many of you get extra mad and sensitive when POC speak up for themselves or white people are called out for being placed on a pedestal. Red flags indeed.

I don't like Billy Porter but I am definitely on board with what he's saying. Didn't St*les refuse to even acknowledge his sexuality? Please correct me if I'm wrong though. The media does LOVE to highlight white LGBTQ individuals doing the bare minimum, and what Billy said is not shocking. St*les is basic and brings nothing to the table, and it wouldn't be the first time a white masc-presenting man wore a dress. Nothing groundbreaking about that.

I do hate how outside of drag queens who do what they do for a living, many fem gay/non-binary individuals are excluded from the overall conversation even though they were always consistently on the front lines when championing for LGBTQ inclusivity, equality and rights. But that's a conversation for another day.

10 hours ago, PunkTheFunk said:

He has valid points, but at the end of the day, putting Harry Styles on the cover is going to sell magazines. The same can't be said for Billy.

But that tells you exactly what you need to know. A basic white man in a dress will sell (yes, I know he has a dedicated fanbase), but an openly queer black man who is known for pushing the envelope when it comes to fashion will not sell.

Didn't Anna Wintour say that when she chose K*m and K*nye for the Vogue cover she knew it was controversial but a representation of the times? Billy, even though I don't care for him, definitely made headlines for his red carpet fashions (which are iconic) and deserves a Vogue cover over Harry painting his nails occasionally and wearing a dress once. 

SwissMonster

I am conflicted, I love Billy and there is „some“ truth to what he said and I also do think that Harry is in fact using the LGBTQ+ Community to some extend but why can‘t a straight white men wear a dress? I don‘t know why he is focusing on the queer aspect of it. That doesn’t help the issue but rather creates/adds to the conflict. I might understand him wrong but I don‘t get what his message is by this statement? Only queer people are allowed to wear dresses? Hmmm

SwissMonsterÂźïž - Creating controversy since 1999

Archived