šŸ’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA šŸ’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Billy Porter hits out at Vogue

Teletubby

Featured Posts

Chlorine Sevigny

Heā€™s absolutely justified to feel that way, I just would have kept it to myself because it makes him look bitter when the whole point of starting a conversation is soā€¦ people can participate in that conversation.Ā :poot:

He wants the recognition and itā€™s understandable, but again, doesnā€™t come off great when youā€™re putting your own ego ahead of theĀ movement.Ā 

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Suspiria

Isn't itĀ gatekeeping to say that wearing dresses and stuff is for queer people. Like isn't the goal that everyone should feel comfortable wearing anything, regardless of gender or sexuality?

Surely a straight (idk if Harry is straight but I'm talking from Billy's perspective) cis man wearing a dress is the most extreme end goal, and therefore a great choice for a cover person?

Suspiria
2 hours ago, bionic said:

Yes we should but Harry is praised for it while Billy etc are still judged for it. Harry gets to take the costume off but for other people it is their lives and people still don't understand and accept it.

Sorry but way more people judged Harry than Billy. I actually don't personally recall ever seeing anyone ever mock Billy for wearing a dress.

But anyway - what do you mean Harry can 'take the costume off'. We're talking about clothing here, anyone can take it off, it's their choice. Why does Billy have any more right to claim dresses than Harry?

Not every man that wears dresses is queer, I think we moved on from this old toxic masculinity idea, straights can wear dresses and heels too and must be encouraged that it's awesome and great and gays should stop act like a jealous bitches.

Je ne parle pas franƧais but I can padam if you like

Reality
6 hours ago, enissa11 said:

we're aĀ dissent community, in this world you straight until you get out of the closet, that's the reality, we need more representation in the media, you can'tĀ conclude he's queer if he doesn't says so and give up the privileges of straight ppl. maybe he f*cks some guys in private but in the end what does it matter really?

But who are you, or anyone else for that matter,Ā to say whether or not he should come out if he is in fact queer? We need more representation in media, absolutely, but coming out is also a deeply personal choice that someone choose to make. So what about all theĀ non-famous people out there in the world that are queer but have not come out yet? Are they "benefitting" from straight priviledge? No. They just have not chosen to come out yet for personal reasons. Just because Harry is a celebrity doesn't change the fact that he still needs to come out when he feels like he's ready (IF he is queer).

yes you're completelyĀ right but also let's not put these people in the places that deserveĀ the ones that really have the courage to live their truth in this judgemental and discriminatory social system, that's billy's point.

At the end of the day though, Harry still represents the shifting gender norms in society. He's certainly not the ONLY person to do that (hell, Bowie did that in the 70s and 80s), but it's not like that's inherently a bad thing. Billy Porter can (and should) be more recognized as well. It's not an either/or scenario. You can highlight both people.Ā 

I also have the problem with the statement, "...the ones that really have the courage to live their truth in this judgemental and discriminatory social system." Being LGBTQ, in general, is a personal journey that people take on their own time and in their own set of circumstances. Pain and trauma are relative and I have a big problem with people thinking that one kind of experienceĀ is "worse" than another. We shouldn't be analyzing different people's personal experiences and saying, "well,Ā thisĀ person had more courage and actually dealt with real stuff whileĀ thatĀ person's experiences aren't as traumatic, so it's whatever."

i think he is actually...

Harry just doesn't strike me as someone who's trying to maliciously use the LGBTQ community in order to profit off of it. He may or may not be queer himself, so who's to say he's appropraiting queer culture?Ā Ā 

Besides, isn't the whole point of "genderfluid", androgynous fashion the fact thatĀ anyoneĀ could wear it? The appeal of gender-defying fashion is to inform people that at the end of the day, these are just pieces of fabric. A boy can wear a dress if he wants to and it shouldn't matter because they're just clothes. That's part of changing into a more progressive society.Ā 

šŸƒšŸ–¤šŸ‘¹

Reality
3 hours ago, BradleyCooper said:

I totally get what youā€™re saying, but itā€™s just a little odd from my perspective only cause Iā€™ve always tried to be proud of my sexuality and not necessarily define myself with it, but instead celebrate it so that those who are struggling with the same things find comfort in knowing there are others like them and that you can be yourself and not have to hide anything to be accepted. But I understand that not everyone is like that and some people would rather be private. I think thatā€™s why I like Lil Nas X so much because he just doesnā€™t care and is so open about it, especially considering how homophobic the rap community can be.

I think that's the point though. Harry can wear dresses and feminine clothing and decide not to disclose his sexuality because at the end of the day,Ā they're just clothes.Ā They're just pieces of fabric sowed together. You don't need to be queer to wear "gender-defying" clothing. Just wear whatever you want to wear and identify with whatever you want to identify with. Isn't that what we, the LGBTQ community, have been fighting for for decades? Just making things normalized...?

šŸƒšŸ–¤šŸ‘¹

chromaticainmyhead

Being salty about it is not the elegant way to handle this situation but his feelings are justified nevertheless. It's sad that the one who paved the way for people like Harry feels unseen in his legacy. He deserves recognition on such scale as well and his skin colour definitely pays a big role in this situation. On the other hand - speaking about politics - reactions on such topics like his'Ā are more and more the reason whyĀ this will never break the bubble of the leftĀ and reach theĀ people who need to be touched with these picture - whoĀ can at any time abolish gender-fluid fashion and bending gender norms. Conservative / right wing people need to be touched by a strong and unified left. This is not the way to get us unified

fan-tas-tique, chic, freak, slaaaay

elijahfan
4 hours ago, bionic said:

Yes we should but Harry is praised for it while Billy etc are still judged for it.

Is he really?Ā :triggered:Ā I'm sorry, but that sounds dishonest. Saying Harry didn't receive backlash, or much less than Porter, is a flat out lie.

Brad Pitt and Kurt Cobain wore dresses on the cover of magazines 20 years ago, Harry is following in their footsteps.

Billy is wonderful, but he absolutely did not "create the conversation about non-binary fashion."Ā  That is pure ego talking.

Suspiria

I think the fact we are talking passionately about this an entire year after the cover came out, is very strong proof that Harry was an excellent choice for this cover.

HEARTSTOP
6 hours ago, alsemanche said:

His frustration is totally justifiableĀ 

But this is a reach. Did he contribute to making the conversation mainstream? sure, but he definitely did not create itĀ 

Exactly this. I get his point, but his entitlement is completely out of proportion.

IDGAF

RenegAde
6 hours ago, bionic said:

I would be salty too if my gender-forward fashion was sidelined in favor of a watered-down version by a straight white man

Exactly my thought, people like Billy crawled so that people like Harry could walkĀ 

Archived