💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Why are GP so tolerant towards Adele?

GipJo

Featured Posts

Basically this, this is not a flame post, just curiosity, why are GP so tolorant towards Adele, when she releases the same tune over and over and over again?

It intrigues me that GP never be that tolorant towards other popular female artists who stayed the same, their popularity would plump and they would flop unless they change, why is that?

Easy On Me for me is a huge disappointment, not only it's the same sound she had all those years, but it's also a down grade compares to 25, let alone 21/19. The vocal got worse, the songwriting got boring af, the production is average if not below average.

If she releases a record with songs like this, will she still be the GP darling like she always be?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TSUNAMI

GP likes ballads. 

It's easier for GP to connect with a song about a heartache than metaphorical message about stopping your alcohol abuse in "Rain On Me".Also, Adele is one trick pony and people love their uncontroversial legends.  

HuffsAhoy

Because she continues to put out great music, with amazing vocals, and relatable lyrics. 

You remind me that it's such a wonderful thing to love.

NFRatwell
4 minutes ago, GipJo said:

this is not a flame post

4 minutes ago, GipJo said:

Easy On Me for me is a huge disappointment, not only it's the same sound she had all those years, but it's also a down grade compares to 25, let alone 21/19. The vocal got worse, the songwriting got boring af, the production is average if not below average.

If she releases a record with songs like this, will she still be the GP darling like she always be?

Sure Jan GIF

Adele is like Downtown Abbey, Like Pumpking Spice Lattes, or Comfort Food

It's made for massive consumption among the gp of all ages and all demographic, to have it as a background music at the local chilly's 

Just now, NFRatwell said:

Sure Jan GIF

I mean I don't mean to flame her personally, it's just my opinion to the song, it's not about her as person.

1 minute ago, dojo said:

Adele is like Downtown Abbey, Like Pumpking Spice Lattes, or Comfort Food

It's made for massive consumption among the gp of all ages and all demographic, to have it as a background music at the local chilly's 

So another point to be made, since ballads about heartbreaking are easy to consume, why isn't there more Adele? I'm sure music industry can create many more like her if it's that easy, so what's her secret sauce besides this?

Bradley
24 minutes ago, TSUNAMI said:

GP likes ballads. 

It's easier for GP to connect with a song about a heartache than metaphorical message about stopping your alcohol abuse in "Rain On Me".Also, Adele is one trick pony and people love their uncontroversial legends.  

This. I mean the GP would eat up emotional ballads. Million Reasons has one of the most simplistic videos but it has like 276 million views when a beautiful video like 911 has 60 million. Stupid Love has 140 million.

Gaga also benefited from this tendency of the GP, just look at A Star Is Born. She literally won 4 Grammys from that album alone.

LilyLark

What @dojo said...there's a reason Starbucks is so popular even if you can get better coffee elsewhere (and I'm not trying to shade Adele, even though I realize it comes across that way).

I like Adele a lot and I adore the new song. But yeah, she's not breaking any barriers. What helps her is that a) her songs are appealing to a very broad audience...even more so than Taylor and b) she can belt and has a very rich, emotive voice even if her technical skills aren't on part with Ariana, Bey, Gaga, etc. and c) related to my first point, her songs have universal themes, avoid explicit language, and generally stay away from more difficult topics like slut shaming, mental health troubles, depression, etc. and d) Adele's personality and even her physical appearance is likeable and non threatening to the GP.

She has a formula that works and she sticks towards it. I'd also note that while the GP adores her the critics have always liked (but never loved) her. I'm pretty sure she's never had an album score above the low 70s on metacritic and even a lot of the good reviews for her music note that her song writing is not particularly strong.

In some ways, though, I do find it interesting that Taylor-who broke out only a few years before Adele and is only 2 years younger than her-has taken far more risks with her music (both lyrically and in terms of her sound) even though the GP views Taylor more as a Pumpkin Spice Latte white girl instead of Adele.

Teletubby
1 minute ago, GipJo said:

I'm sure music industry can create many more like her if it's that easy, so what's her secret sauce besides this?

It might sound weird but I think that UK is spending a lot of money to promote their artists like Adele, Ed Sheeran. They are talented but there are many talented people in other countries but these with worldwide career from Europe are mostly british.

i'm just a baby and @Juanlittlem is my ❀*·ꕤ. ☁️eternal enemy🌩️。˚❀

LilyLark
8 minutes ago, GipJo said:

So another point to be made, since ballads about heartbreaking are easy to consume, why isn't there more Adele? I'm sure music industry can create many more like her if it's that easy, so what's her secret sauce besides this?

Good point. I'm surprised the labels aren't trying to create new Adeles (e.g. steer someone towards doing heavy ballads). I suspect the labels would have been happy to have Ariana and Gaga go down that path (Ariana circa 2016 and Gaga after ASIB). I think they sort of tried that with Bey for a hot minute with I Am Sasha Fierce, too. But I feel like a lot of musicians don't necessarily want to do soft piano ballads with fairly tame themes (again, no offense to Adele). Most artists (appear) to like tackling more difficult themes (Bey with her miscarriages, Jay's infidelity, racism in America, Gaga with her mental health struggles, Ariana with dealing with her trauma, etc.). And at the end of the day, lables do let the bigger artists have a certain degree of artistic freedom.

Blastertoyo

It also helps that the GP literally just discovered her with 21 and she disappeared after Skyfall

25 was guaranteed to smash the same way born this way (single) was

now with 30, she really has to work a bit harder, the lead is gonna smash regardless but she’s coming back now as a nostalgia act and not so much a hyped act everyone is waiting for (after the lead from the reception I’ve seen) 

like I’ve said before, her next album is for sure susceptible to the 4th album curse because most people found her through 21

please enlighten me to death

Chlorine Sevigny

Adele has that kind of magic where you cry to her songs and they become a part of your life and defining that era in your memory. It's “soundtrack of your life” type of music which many modern mainstream artists don’t make. It feels like she’s from a different era, where musicians wrote and sang about real things going on in their lives and it was very personal, and that was it. No gimmick. Not trying to do the quick hit song or what’s current. And that’s why I think people love her. Her music feels like she is building a timeless catalogue of songs, it is intentional, meaningful, slow paced, and quality.

At the same time, she doesn’t take herself too seriously either. Even the end of the new video where we see them end the shot and laugh it’s like a reminder that this is all in service of what she’s singing about and the emotion of it. It’s uncomplicated and unpretentious which is refreshing when you have a lot of stars doing the most just for the sake of it. 

edengowon

i adore adele. 25 is one of my favourite albums of all time and she's one of the only artists who has followed me for so many years. however... she's like fast food. she's an amazing vocalist and an amazing songwriter, but her music is very easy to digest, very easy to relate to and very uncomplicated. i don't think it's a surprise that her most complicated songs lyrically (river lea, i miss you, tired, can't let go etc.) are her least successful ones, and the ones with the very simple messages (someone like you, make you feel my love, chasing pavements) are the biggest.

the artist formerly known as melancholia

• Admin locked this topic

Archived