GipJo

Featured Posts

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
StrawberryBlond
22 hours ago, CameltoeKween said:

tiffany pollard GIF by RealityTVGIFs

Just go listen to something else then, instead of writing a dissertation on why you don’t like Adele :awkney:

She clearly captivates and inspires a massive audience, it isn’t a fluke and people aren’t celebrating mediocrity. The fact that it bothers you enough to write that essay is low key hilarious.

And don’t even get me started on you complaining about how all her music supposedly sounds the same when you have a Lana Del Rey user pic :ladyhaha:

Hardly a dissertation, this is among some of the shorter opinions I've given about singers. I write this stuff as someone who's been studying music for over a decade. I'm always conducting think pieces about many artists, regardless of whether I like them or not. And I wondered if someone was going to pull up me liking Lana as if that's at odds with what I'm saying. I'm aware that Lana likes to stay in a comfort zone herself but she's changed a lot since her debut, I feel a lot of people still base their judgement of her on that when she's really moved on. She's always been introducing new elements to her music and every album has a different feel. Even if a lot of her music stays in a similar melody, her lyrics elevate it. Many ballad-driven artists have similar sounding songs so in order to get away with it, their lyricism has to be excellent. To me, Adele's lyrics are far too basic to make up for the familiar production. I want to know why people prefer her ballads over anyone's else's. Ballad-driven female artists haven't lasted long in the public consciousness for quite some time. From the late 90's onwards here are some female artists who are famous for having very ballad-driven works who all faded considerably after initial success: Dido, Alicia Keys, Norah Jones, Katie Melua, Leona Lewis, Ellie Goulding, Susan Boyle, Lana Del Rey, Emeli Sande. My question is, why have they faded and Adele stays around with her larger than life success? What is she doing that they didn't?

21 hours ago, RAMROD said:

So funny when people denies that Adele's songs are timeless, but yet, you can hear it every damn time, even in some small random cafes or malls, and that people kept singing it on talent shows :billie:

We weren't denying they were timeless. We were pointing out that just because something is timeless doesn't automatically make it good. I was pointing out that to call something timeless isn't really the compliment we think it is. For something to be timeless, it must be simple, not overly exciting, un-challenging, not break the mould or any boundaries because then it would offend people who are too conservative or close-minded. It doesn't exactly sound like a positive when you break down what being timeless really means, isn't it? What you're talking about is being relatable and popular among different generations, which is quite different.

11 hours ago, NCgaga said:

Wow at they gays that ARE SO MAD that Adele isn’t doing generic rap pop with choreo in her videos. What Adele does is Quality- with real vocals and instruments. Real emotion that thE GP can easily attach to. Her voice is extremely recognizable and she is a great singer .WHY ARE SOME OF YOU SO MAD? Did y’all expect Etta James, Patsy Cline, Norah Jones and countless other female Vocalist/songwriters to titillate your Choreo  “bop” needs? EXPAND YOUR HORIZONS! 

I'm a 31-year-old straight woman, Adele's main demographic, and I don't get the hype. I don't need dance music, choreo, etc. to make a song good, I can appreciate a ballad as much as any Adele fan. But I have high standards for ballads. I don't know why the fact she sings well with real instruments is such a novelty for people. There are literally hundreds of artists across all genres who do this, what's so impressive about it? Nor is she the only singer with emotion in her songs. I don't get why an easily recognisable voice helps you to be successful either. It's because I expanded my horizons that I found music better than Adele's, there's so much better music of this style out there. I'm surprised more people haven't tried to find a similar artist to Adele to fill the void between her albums by this point or another label hasn't tried to create a copy of her because what she does is far from unique and not hard to find.

FameHookah
12 hours ago, SpadesToStart said:

Ok but OP told no lies about Easy On Me. Listened last night for the first time. The song is fine, but it’s not even in the same league as Hello, RITD, or Someone Like You.

Yeah i listened to it twice and its not even catchy or singable like her other hits.. idk its very underwhelming.

WTF is MDNA

1 hour ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Hardly a dissertation, this is among some of the shorter opinions I've given about singers. I write this stuff as someone who's been studying music for over a decade. I'm always conducting think pieces about many artists, regardless of whether I like them or not. And I wondered if someone was going to pull up me liking Lana as if that's at odds with what I'm saying. I'm aware that Lana likes to stay in a comfort zone herself but she's changed a lot since her debut, I feel a lot of people still base their judgement of her on that when she's really moved on. She's always been introducing new elements to her music and every album has a different feel. Even if a lot of her music stays in a similar melody, her lyrics elevate it. Many ballad-driven artists have similar sounding songs so in order to get away with it, their lyricism has to be excellent. To me, Adele's lyrics are far too basic to make up for the familiar production. I want to know why people prefer her ballads over anyone's else's. Ballad-driven female artists haven't lasted long in the public consciousness for quite some time. From the late 90's onwards here are some female artists who are famous for having very ballad-driven works who all faded considerably after initial success: Dido, Alicia Keys, Norah Jones, Katie Melua, Leona Lewis, Ellie Goulding, Susan Boyle, Lana Del Rey, Emeli Sande. My question is, why have they faded and Adele stays around with her larger than life success? What is she doing that they didn't?

We weren't denying they were timeless. We were pointing out that just because something is timeless doesn't automatically make it good. I was pointing out that to call something timeless isn't really the compliment we think it is. For something to be timeless, it must be simple, not overly exciting, un-challenging, not break the mould or any boundaries because then it would offend people who are too conservative or close-minded. It doesn't exactly sound like a positive when you break down what being timeless really means, isn't it? What you're talking about is being relatable and popular among different generations, which is quite different.

I'm a 31-year-old straight woman, Adele's main demographic, and I don't get the hype. I don't need dance music, choreo, etc. to make a song good, I can appreciate a ballad as much as any Adele fan. But I have high standards for ballads. I don't know why the fact she sings well with real instruments is such a novelty for people. There are literally hundreds of artists across all genres who do this, what's so impressive about it? Nor is she the only singer with emotion in her songs. I don't get why an easily recognisable voice helps you to be successful either. It's because I expanded my horizons that I found music better than Adele's, there's so much better music of this style out there. I'm surprised more people haven't tried to find a similar artist to Adele to fill the void between her albums by this point or another label hasn't tried to create a copy of her because what she does is far from unique and not hard to find.

Lol- your reasoning is so off here. People have their faves. There aren’t “hundreds of singers like Adele”. In fact, the music industry is severely lacking in good song writing, instrumentation and emotion.there have been a few, but not many singers who have put out similar music in the past twenty years to Adele(Amy Winehouse, Duffy) Adele is comparable to other singers that have a similar style to her, and have big success. I too am a fan of Lana. I prefer Adele’s songs over Lana’s. They are melodically more pleasing and not as obscure. Adele’s songs are more straight to the point. Her sound is timeless. You can’t listen to her songs and think, “oh that’s so 2012”- where as singers like Demi, Halsey, Rihanna, and even Gaga have noticeable audio time stamps. 

ProfessionalClown
50 minutes ago, FameHookah said:

Yeah i listened to it twice and its not even catchy or singable like her other hits.. idk its very underwhelming.

To me the vocals are the highlight and the melody to me is so catchy idk. It’s a great return imo 

Chromatican

I think the trick was Adele had a few very good songs (Rolling In The Deep, Set Fire To The Rain) released at the right time and then the media marketed her as the greatest vocalist of all time. The GP bought into it hook, line and sinker. 

StrawberryBlond
15 hours ago, NCgaga said:

Lol- your reasoning is so off here. People have their faves. There aren’t “hundreds of singers like Adele”. In fact, the music industry is severely lacking in good song writing, instrumentation and emotion.there have been a few, but not many singers who have put out similar music in the past twenty years to Adele(Amy Winehouse, Duffy) Adele is comparable to other singers that have a similar style to her, and have big success. I too am a fan of Lana. I prefer Adele’s songs over Lana’s. They are melodically more pleasing and not as obscure. Adele’s songs are more straight to the point. Her sound is timeless. You can’t listen to her songs and think, “oh that’s so 2012”- where as singers like Demi, Halsey, Rihanna, and even Gaga have noticeable audio time stamps. 

Of course people are allowed their faves. I just want to know: why Adele and why only her? Why didn't her success inspire a resurgence in ballads in general becoming big again? Why are people happy to wait for years of ballad drought until she comes back instead of looking for others in the meantime? What is so captivating about her that she keeps people loyal for this length of time? I never said there were hundreds of singers like her, I said there were hundreds who could sing well and use real instruments and that can be present in all genres, so it's not a novelty in the general sense. Amy is dead and Duffy has all but given up on making music and is widely considered a one hit wonder so bringing them up to compare to Adele is kinda pointless as Adele's wealth of material outstrips theirs. Sure, Adele's songs are straight to the point...a bit too much. To the point where they're too generic, too paint-by-numbers, too similar to other songs. As much as I like it, I can't get over how similar the theme of Someone Like You is to the entire theme of I Will Always Love You, right down to "I wish nothing but the best for you too." Basically, it's hard to hear something in an Adele song that you haven't already heard elsewhere. And again, why is timeless in and of itself a positive? I get it, when something is full-on dated, it can lose its appeal, but most music does sound roughly of its time, yet can still sound good years later. Timeless is just a compliment we give without really wondering how much weight it really carries. And it's easy for a ballad to sound timeless anyway, it's not a great feat. Just stick to the cliches, don't put in swearwords or modern references, don't put in a dance break and you have a timeless ballad, it's not hard. When Adele makes a timeless uptempo pop song, then you can say she's got an unusual gift for creating timeless music.

15 hours ago, Chromatican said:

I think the trick was Adele had a few very good songs (Rolling In The Deep, Set Fire To The Rain) released at the right time and then the media marketed her as the greatest vocalist of all time. The GP bought into it hook, line and sinker. 

Something happened before then, though. I remember when her name was first announced on the radio back when she'd just come out and the radio announcer didn't think much of her, saying that her being marketed as soul was all wrong. She had mild success in the UK but even I wasn't overly aware of her. All I'd heard was Chasing Pavements. Then I register that Rolling in the Deep is her next single and is a big hit and pre-orders are big for her album and overnight, she became a worldwide sensation. I don't know what happened in that in between time to make people care to this extent. She wasn't even heavily promoting, so I don't know. Like I said before, she must have a very strong marketing team. There's only so far that the whole "she was an oasis in a sea of EDM at the time" reasoning can go.

On 10/15/2021 at 9:10 AM, GipJo said:

Easy On Me for me is a huge disappointment, not only it's the same sound she had all those years, but it's also a down grade compares to 25, let alone 21/19. The vocal got worse, the songwriting got boring af, the production is average if not below average.

Could not agree less. Easy on me is a beautiful song, she is the only mpg who does what she does and I'd rather she didnt change up to do synth pop (and now pop rock / whisper indie-pop) with dancing like 90% of them that do it well today, and keep doing what she does best, because sometimes thats the music we need.

On 10/15/2021 at 4:30 AM, LilyLark said:

What @dojo said...there's a reason Starbucks is so popular even if you can get better coffee elsewhere (and I'm not trying to shade Adele, even though I realize it comes across that way).

I like Adele a lot and I adore the new song. But yeah, she's not breaking any barriers. What helps her is that a) her songs are appealing to a very broad audience...even more so than Taylor and b) she can belt and has a very rich, emotive voice even if her technical skills aren't on part with Ariana, Bey, Gaga, etc. and c) related to my first point, her songs have universal themes, avoid explicit language, and generally stay away from more difficult topics like slut shaming, mental health troubles, depression, etc. and d) Adele's personality and even her physical appearance is likeable and non threatening to the GP.

She has a formula that works and she sticks towards it. I'd also note that while the GP adores her the critics have always liked (but never loved) her. I'm pretty sure she's never had an album score above the low 70s on metacritic and even a lot of the good reviews for her music note that her song writing is not particularly strong.

In some ways, though, I do find it interesting that Taylor-who broke out only a few years before Adele and is only 2 years younger than her-has taken far more risks with her music (both lyrically and in terms of her sound) even though the GP views Taylor more as a Pumpkin Spice Latte white girl instead of Adele.

It’s the lane she’s in. Taylor is competing squarely in the modern pop lane which necessitates changing up the image every album, Adele kind of exists in a vacuum that straddles adult radio and modern top 40.

tyler k

if you think adele releases the same song over and over you're an actual clown and that's a FACT:flop:

mmmy name ~isn't~ aliceee

Because she’s reliably a quality artist who’s style stands alone, AND the GP doesn’t get burned out on her because she takes time in between projects to make us miss her.  

Nathaniel Arven

it's just a girl and a piano. Music is only 12 notes. Nobody's original. 

Ps : easy on me is a beautiful message. 

Christopher Rolas
On 10/15/2021 at 5:28 AM, Monster7 said:

It's difficult for the GP to be tired of an artist who gives them 10 songs every 5 years

That's a good point cause even tho the sound it's the same 
after a while it feels like it's new.

It's what we're seeing now with all these artist that are bringing back the 80's sounds. 

Maestro play me your symphony I will listen to anything Take me on a trip DJ free my mind

On 10/15/2021 at 12:14 PM, HuffsAhoy said:

Because she continues to put out great music, with amazing vocals, and relatable lyrics. 

End thread.

• Admin locked this topic

Archived