tech

Is your phone spying or listening to you?

Featured Posts

dojo

I found this a very interesting read... Zoom tho.

RDT-20211013-0851508769369726024171111.j

ᶜᵃʳᵃᵛᵃᵍᵍⁱᵒ ⁱⁿ ᵃ ᶜᵒʳⁿᵉʳ ˢᵗᵒʳᵉ...
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dojo

• bionic

• dove

• StrawberryBlond

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was once talking to my grandma (RIP) about something she saw on shopping channel. Didn't Google it, didn't have any apps open, wasn't even using phone at time. A day later I kept getting ads constan

I read it, I just don't believe it! (that is to say, I do believe what they are saying happens does happen, but it's not the only thing that happens). There is NO WAY my phone would have guessed to se

im sure they would but you literally posted an essay written for mice sweetie

bionic

I was once talking to my grandma (RIP) about something she saw on shopping channel. Didn't Google it, didn't have any apps open, wasn't even using phone at time. A day later I kept getting ads constantly for the specific product we were talking about, even tho we didnt mention brands etc at all

buy bionic
  • Like 3
soularpower
9 minutes ago, bionic said:

I was once talking to my grandma (RIP) about something she saw on shopping channel. Didn't Google it, didn't have any apps open, wasn't even using phone at time. A day later I kept getting ads constantly for the specific product we were talking about, even tho we didnt mention brands etc at all

Sometimes it can be based on your own local devices and how they interact with each other. If your grandma had searched it at all on her device, her device is now interacting with yours in the same space. It’s been found in other instances where someone goes to their relative’s house, where they use a specific brand of toothpaste. Neither of them discuss it and the visitor doesn’t search for it, but the relative had been using apps to purchase it online from their device. The two devices come in contact with each other repeatedly, and algorithms learn the two interact often. The data is shared, and then seemingly without cause, the visitor begins receiving ads for that particular toothpaste on their own devices—all which stemmed from their data being exchanged, an algorithm recognizing two people interacting, and then consequently showing them ads for products that the other is already routinely buying. The idea is simple, that “what’s good for the goose is good for the gander” idea that people who interact often will tend to purchase the same items over time. Very interesting when you look into how all of this works, albeit scary.

before all else i am an nctizen
  • Like 2
dojo

29 minutes ago, Logan said:

The Baader-Meinhof phenomenon factors into this as well. 

Real Housewives Of Atlanta Meme GIF by Identity

Edited by dojo
Glamourpuss

Around lockdown time my next door neighbour had a friend talking to them through the window. I could barely hear what was being said but could make out that they were talking about his recent stay in a cabin in the Lake District. 

As soon as I picked up my phone I was getting ads for cabins in the Lake District. I was shocked because normally I get ads for things I've looked at on Asos for example and this confirmed to me that my phone was listening. 

• Like 2
RAMROD

Of course they do, haven't you heard the name Snowden who opened the eyes of the people?

EC64M6AU4AAyMmI.jpg

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ BLACKLIGHT SHINES ON (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡
LaLa

Yep, once my husband and I were joking about something to do with a Diaper Genie.... we don't have kids, hadn't googled that or any other baby products, nothing, but I started getting ads for a damn Diaper Genie on my phone very quickly. 

It doesn't happen that specifically often, but I know it's definitely listening 

• Like 2
FATCAT

Y'all litterally have Siri on, listening all the time for a catch phrase, I don't know why anyone would be surprised haha

Purr more, hiss less.
  • Like 2
dojo
8 minutes ago, Glamourpuss said:

Around lockdown time my next door neighbour had a friend talking to them through the window. I could barely hear what was being said but could make out that they were talking about his recent stay in a cabin in the Lake District. 

As soon as I picked up my phone I was getting ads for cabins in the Lake District. I was shocked because normally I get ads for things I've looked at on Asos for example and this confirmed to me that my phone was listening. 

1 minute ago, LaLa said:

Yep, once my husband and I were joking about something to do with a Diaper Genie.... we don't have kids, hadn't googled that or any other baby products, nothing, but I started getting ads for a damn Diaper Genie on my phone very quickly. 

It doesn't happen that specifically often, but I know it's definitely listening 

Screenshot-20211013-094127-Chrome.jpg

let's read the OP luvs.

• Like 1
LaLa
Just now, dojo said:

Screenshot-20211013-094127-Chrome.jpg

let's read the OP luvs.

I read it, I just don't believe it! (that is to say, I do believe what they are saying happens does happen, but it's not the only thing that happens). There is NO WAY my phone would have guessed to serve me those ads. None. You'll never convince me otherwise lol

• Thanks 3