💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Grammys have ruled Kacey Musgraves ineligible for the Country categories

Teletubby

Featured Posts

Stupid Grammys, the artists should ban them 

Inb4 they will decide that L4S is  not traditional pop enough and move it to pop

edit: changed from jazz to traditional pop lol

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

StrawberryBlond

I'm not surprised. The trailer for the movie and the intro song was a sign that this was going to be a more pop-centered album and that was definitely the case. I was confused that it was still being categorised as country, even if it was country pop. You can see from the music videos alone that she's wanting to branch out and hope it will expand her fanbase and sales but that should come with no longer being in country categories. If it happened to Taylor with 1989, it can happen to her. A big name like hers on the country scene can play to her advantage when it comes to winning awards which isn't really fair if that isn't really the type of music she's making this time.

Chromatica

I’d say “if they had done this to Red” but honestly Red at least had some country songs, star-crossed really doesn’t. Camera Roll, Hookup Scene, and Keep Lookin’ Up are the only songs that feel country and even then they’re just as pop. 

Sucks for Kacey though because I imagine this was going to be her Red moment and the next album was going to be the pop explosion, which would’ve worked a lot better if this album was still considered “country.”

star-crossed has a lot of country influences and roots, but it is essentially a pop record (a good one at that), so this is fair. 

Guess AOTY alone should suffice :yennefer:

StrawberryBlond
2 minutes ago, River said:

Inb4 they will decide that L4S is  not jazz enough and move it to pop

L4S will probably be under traditional pop. That's where C2C was so I don't see why this one wouldn't be. I don't know why they aren't put under jazz either but I don't quite understand a lot of their genre categorisation as it is. Maybe it's because it's all covers and most traditional pop nominees are cover albums?

James Gibson
5 minutes ago, River said:

Inb4 they will decide that L4S is  not jazz enough and move it to pop

But it was never contending in Jazz, but Traditional Pop Album lol.

That category is reserved mostly for music tracing back the time of the Great American Songbook or what was once the popular music of olden days. There's where Tony's music always fit. Still the individual songs compete in Pop solo and Pop duo/group categories (where Tony was nominated and won before).

If you look at the Jazz categories you will notice it's vastly different from the music Gaga and Tony do together, but it sure influences it.

Grammys have many flaws but it's not much of a stupid decision when Kacey's latest album is very borderline pop and blurs the definition (tho it clearly aimed a more pop audience and was released under Interscope). It's a similar case to Taylor's Red which IMo should've competed in Pop. But the letter still makes an interesting point.

10 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

L4S will probably be under traditional pop. That's where C2C was so I don't see why this one wouldn't be. I don't know why they aren't put under jazz either but I don't quite understand a lot of their genre categorisation as it is. Maybe it's because it's all covers and most traditional pop nominees are cover albums?

2 minutes ago, James Gibson said:

But it was never contending in Jazz, but Traditional Pop Album lol.

That category is reserved mostly for music tracing back the time of the Great American Songbook or what was once the popular music of olden days. There's where Tony's music always fit. Still the individual songs compete in Pop solo and Pop duo/group categories (where Tony was nominated and won before).

If you look at the Jazz categories you will notice it's vastly different from the music Gaga and Tony do together, but it sure influences it.

Grammys have many flaws but it's not much of a stupid decision when Kacey's latest album is very borderline pop and blurs the definition (tho it clearly aimed a more pop audience and was released under Interscope). It's a similar case to Taylor's Red which IMo should've competed in Pop. But the letter still makes an interesting point.

So lets say traditional pop instead of jazz just to go by my narrative lol

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

high culture

I’m a lot more interested in listening to this album now lol I don’t really like country so I haven’t listened

Lighter

but wasn’t they bragging about this crossover pop next taylor swift moment she’s gonna have lol pick a side

Flawless

The Grammy's are totally right, it's a pop album. Given that, I doubt she will make the cut for the nominees, this field will have a lot of big competition

the scars on my mind are on replay.

Glamourpuss

It still sounds like a country album to me and I'm a little bit bitter about it because I was hoping it would be a strong contender and be eligible for a country album of the year nomination. 

To me it's the best album of the year (which is funny because I hated it on the first two listens) and I'll be sad if it doesn't get the recognition it deserves. 

I haven't been able to get Camera Roll out of my head particularly that dreamy ethereal bit about half way through. :flutter:

Lona Delery

this is so dumb. the way they can just decide what category they nominate the albums for is sooo stupid

just like they always put Lana in pop although shes always submitting for alternative

Sometimes it feels like I've got a war in my mind, I wanna get off but I keep riding the ride

Archived