science

Queen Elizabeth I's advisor used magic mirror with mystical Aztec origin

FfFfFfFF

Featured Posts

FfFfFfFF

01-obsidian-mirror.jpg

A “spirit mirror” believed to have been used by Queen Elizabeth I’s famed political advisor John Dee was crafted in Aztec Mexico ar05-obsidian-mirror.jpg?w=636&h=846ound 500 years ago, researchers have discovered.

The find, published today in the journal Antiquity, strengthens the idea that the mirror was used by the Elizabethan occultist in his attempts to communicate with angels.

02-obsidian-mirror.jpg?w=300&h=361Researchers used a portable x-ray fluorescence scanner to examine John Dee’s mirror, as well as three other obsidian objects—two almost-identical circular mirrors and a polished rectangular slab—acquired by the British Museum from collectors in Mexico in the 1800s. 

Because chemical elements glow differently under x-rays, the scanner was able to determine a geochemical “fingerprint” for each obsidian object based on the proportions of titanium, iron, strontium, and other substances each contained.

The results show the obsidian in John Dee’s mirror and one of the other mirrors could only have come from the Pachuca region of central Mexico. The other mirror and the obsidian slab, likely a portable altar, came from the Ucareo region, about 150 miles farther west.

S0003598X21001320_figAb.png?pub-status=lurn:cambridge.org:id:binary-alt:20211001urn:cambridge.org:id:binary:202110010909urn:cambridge.org:id:binary:20211001090904667-0150:S0003598X21001320:S0003598X21001320_fig5.pngurn:cambridge.org:id:binary:202110010909

Source - https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/article/magic-mirror-elizabethan-court-mystical-aztec-origin

Edited by FfFfFfFF
►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • Like 4
  • LMAO 1
  • Love 1
  • Shook 2
dojo

all the presents she got from spanish colonizers before they both went to war.

please correct my english, xx
  • Like 1
  • LMAO 2
CannaeDrive

Although the Aztecs were pretty much brutal, I've been fascinated by their civilization.

James Joyce to the man asking to shake the hand that had written Ulysses: “It’s done a lot of other things as well.”
FfFfFfFF
18 hours ago, dojo said:

The study says she possibily got it via the Habsburg Empire (John Dee used to live in Bohemia, present day Czechia, at one point)

►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • Thanks 1
dojo
6 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

The study says she possibily got it via the Habsburg Empire (John Dee used to live in Bohemia, present day Czechia, at one point)

well i'm sure they r wrong :triggered:

please correct my english, xx
  • Shook 1
FfFfFfFF
2 minutes ago, dojo said:

well i'm sure they r wrong :triggered:

The Habsurgs didn't have colonial posessions outside of Europe (even though they did unsuccessfully try to established some colonies). The implication seems to be that before the Habsurgs had it it was probably in the hands of the Spanish. :oprah:

• Shook 1
Shipper

And now that they know where it came from, will they return it to Mexico?

💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕
  • LMAO 1
  • YAAAS 1
  • Thanks 2
Varys
14 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

The Habsurgs didn't have colonial posessions outside of Europe (even though they did unsuccessfully try to established some colonies). The implication seems to be that before the Habsurgs had it it was probably in the hands of the Spanish. :oprah:

I could be wrong but weren’t the Spanish also Habsburgs?

Banned 04/19/2020 - 04/19/2020
FfFfFfFF
Just now, Varys said:

I could be wrong but weren’t the Spanish also Habsburgs?

I can see why you'd say that, but technically no. Spanish weren't Habsburgs, but Spain was once ruled by monarchs of the House of Habsburg. However, Spain was never part of the Habsburg Empire, its territories were mostly in Central and Eastern Europe (modern-day Austria, Hungary, Czechia, Slovakia, Ukraine, Romania, Croatia, Bosnia etc).

RAMROD

Wait?? Is this where Germany got Queen Grimhilde inspiration from? Or did she inspired from Grimhilde? :bradley:

Edited by RAMROD
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ 𝔹𝕖𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕀𝕟 𝕋𝕠𝕥𝕒𝕝 ℂ𝕠𝕟𝕥𝕣𝕠𝕝 𝕆𝕗 ℍ𝕚𝕞𝕤𝕖𝕝𝕗 (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡
bionic
19 hours ago, dojo said:

Wasn't England at war with like every country in Europe at various points in that time

buy bionic
FfFfFfFF
On 10/12/2021 at 4:40 PM, bionic said:

Wasn't England at war with like every country in Europe at various points in that time

EinmGTFXkAcEs_l.jpg:large

Neroneau
17 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

EinmGTFXkAcEs_l.jpg:large

Off topic because I want to correct that Chile hasn’t invaded by the British empire :)) 

FfFfFfFF
2 hours ago, Neroneau said:

Off topic because I want to correct that Chile hasn’t invaded by the British empire :)) 

The word 'invasion' seems to be used lossly, is more about countries more being at war and/or being attacked by the UK at one point in history (also the world had completely different countries in the times of the British Empire, some that don't have a clear succesor). My guess is that the basis of Chile being included is the fact that the Brithis attacked Spanish ships in Chile (when it was still not independent and part of the Spanish Empire).

• Like 1