💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Adele Responds To Racist and Cultural Appropriation Allegations

Blastertoyo

Featured Posts

Blastertoyo

"This hair is totally unnecessary," one person wrote. "Stop appropriating Black culture. Bantu knots are not for you."

"I could see comments being like, 'The nerve to not take it down,' which I totally get," she told British Vogue. "But if I take it down, it's me acting like it never happened. And it did. I totally get why people felt like it was appropriating."

"If you don't go dressed to celebrate the Jamaican culture — and in so many ways we're so entwined in that part of London — then it's a little bit like, 'What you coming for, then?'" she said. "I didn't read the f*cking room."

In her own words, karma was only around the corner anyway, as she finished: "I was wearing a hairstyle that is actually to protect Afro hair. Ruined mine, obviously."

Full: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/benhenry/adele-vogue-cultural-appropriation-response

please enlighten me to death

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad she addressed it, albeit a bit late, but it's good. It's true that in the UK during those festivals everyone is dressed up and completely immersed in sharing beautiful Jamaican culture, but I can also totally see how that can horribly mistranslate over in America. I don't think her intentions were bad, but the timing was. Glad she's educated herself, go on queen.

NichuuB
18 minutes ago, Fanta said:

I'm glad she addressed it, albeit a bit late, but it's good. It's true that in the UK during those festivals everyone is dressed up and completely immersed in sharing beautiful Jamaican culture, but I can also totally see how that can horribly mistranslate over in America. I don't think her intentions were bad, but the timing was. Glad she's educated herself, go on queen.

yeah, it was most badly seen by Americans than the other countries. And this is, i think, due to the fact that american society is too racially divided. As for English people, including black English people, it wasn't that big deal 

Property of @Whale

Blastertoyo
6 minutes ago, Simon said:

Wow, how rude. Culture, ideas everything is fluid. There's so many things invented by white people, other by black, other by asians etc etc etc... In technology, culture, in every aspect of our life and we shouldn't say things like that. 

You have to understand why black peoples feel threatened when non black propel use these hairstyles though. When anyone else does it it’s seen as “cool” “edgy “fresh” and “new” “trendy” but when black people do it, it’s “unprofessional” or “ghetto”.

Adele doing it in this context is obviously different because it’s a cultural event and a cultural intention, there’s no way one could claim she’s doing it to look cool and edgy when the context is literally an event where they embrace Jamaican culture.

Its also not your place if you’re not black to tell people how they are and aren’t allowed to respond when things are borrowed from their culture.

NCgaga

Oh god. This again. Seriously more serious things in the world to worry about then Adele wearing Bantu knots AT A JAMAICAN FESTIVAL a year ago. Every culture appropriates and borrows from other cultures- and it’s been that way since the beginning of time. Welcome to Humanity. 

BlingNotTheMusic

I totally support people questioning this

However

The conversation I'm interested in is what about the black hairstylists and music producers who do these styles on white people or push these white artists using hip hop beats or influences. To be clear, I'm NOT justifying it. I'm genuinely curious.

This isn't something I've seen discussed before....

JohnWayne92
22 minutes ago, Blastertoyo said:

You have to understand why black peoples feel threatened when non black propel use these hairstyles though. When anyone else does it it’s seen as “cool” “edgy “fresh” and “new” “trendy” but when black people do it, it’s “unprofessional” or “ghetto”.

Adele doing it in this context is obviously different because it’s a cultural event and a cultural intention, there’s no way one could claim she’s doing it to look cool and edgy when the context is literally an event where they embrace Jamaican culture.

Its also not your place if you’re not black to tell people how they are and aren’t allowed to respond when things are borrowed from their culture.

I feel like this only applies in USAs climate. Just because we are broken as a country doesn’t mean everyone else is. 

HuffsAhoy

These fake outrages are just one of the many reasons why the USA is not taken seriously anymore. Woke and cancel cultures have truly become their own cancer to society. 

You remind me that it's such a wonderful thing to love.

Blastertoyo
7 minutes ago, JohnWayne92 said:

I feel like this only applies in USAs climate. Just because we are broken as a country doesn’t mean everyone else is. 

So you’re gonna tell me the Jesy Nelson thread that’s trending right now only exists because Jesy learned black fishing from American culture 

:huntyga:

Economy
33 minutes ago, Simon said:

Wow, how rude. Culture, ideas everything is fluid. There's so many things invented by white people, other by black, other by asians etc etc etc... In technology, culture, in every aspect of our life and we shouldn't say things like that. If we were to limit culture, stop spreading it, and everyone sat in their culture bubble, we would regress as a humanity. I hate snowflakes, and cancel culture

Thats what i was trying to get at in my other comment

Like theres stuff that deeply rooted in some backgrounds. It can have religious roots, traditions etc and such wear of clothing and styles would be offensive if stuff like that has historical value gets put on as a casual dress by someone whos history that doesnt belong to. So obviously theres boundries

But if were talking just regular styles that happen to be more popular in one culture than another but dont necessairily hold some holy or deep value, then i think trying to segregate who can wear what based on race is not only dumb but actually makes racial problems worse

Im a strong believer that non whites living as citizens in white dominant Nations have as much of a right to be influential as everyone else in culture because they are now part of that culture too

By putting a barrier and saying on this race or that one can wear this hair or that clothing the intent may be to be racially "sensitive" but other than a good intention, in reality the actual effects is ur taking away influential power from minorities

Yet minorities are said to not have the same power in culture as white ppl. Well, were not making it any better with these regressive new woke standards that are disguised as progressive and i dont think ppl even realize the effects of what they promote tbh

30 minutes ago, Blastertoyo said:

OK, then it's my place. Nobody in the UK could care any less about this if they tried.

Social media, Americans mostly, are so bent out of shape over hairstyles for literally no reason.

To embrace a culture (whatever a culture is, how long must it be present to make it culture?) Is to celebrate it.

Economy
1 minute ago, KORG said:

OK, then it's my place. Nobody in the UK could care any less about this if they tried.

Social media, Americans mostly, are so bent out of shape over hairstyles for literally no reason.

To embrace a culture (whatever a culture is, how long must it be present to make it culture?) Is to celebrate it.

Thats what im saying

Not to mention these double standards the user was talking about would actually be helped if a style is normalized

Those double standards shouldnt exist at all period, but i dont think segregating styles by race is helping racists be more racially blind. If anything it over emphasizes race as what defines ur identity

Race is part of ur identity (heritage in many cases of u already grew up in another Nation). But it should not be made out to be ur entire identity

1 minute ago, Blastertoyo said:

So you’re gonna tell me the Jesy Nelson thread that’s trending right now only exists because Jesy learned black fishing from American culture 

:huntyga:

British City culture is very mixed. Has been for about 30 years, its not tea and crumpets it's Bangladeshi shops and Caribbean markets. Multiple generations, born in the UK, going to school and blending cultures.

The Jesy Nelson thread is about her adopting a total black style to start her solo career, even though that's literally how every British girl in the city is. "Blackfishing" is indeed an American tantrum in this instance.

And Adele dressing appropriately for a festival is also fine. The real travesty was her makeup.

Archived