Jump to content
celeb

Adele Responds To Racist and Cultural Appropriation Allegations


Featured Posts

Linus Gaga
16 hours ago, BlueRose said:

stop white epeople from doing techno,stop white people from doing drag...that s cultural appropriation. the kardashians affected a w hole a great deal of the planet  with their choices and treating people like probs is trash

i said the same in the other thread 

should we stop everyone who are not Japanese, cosplaying Japanese anime characters? 

should we not using some cultural traditional recipes to cook something cuz we are not from the culture ?

Hit me a message and say hi !
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Blastertoyo

    13

  • BlueRose

    7

  • Fanta

    5

  • salty like sodium

    5

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh god. This again. Seriously more serious things in the world to worry about then Adele wearing Bantu knots AT A JAMAICAN FESTIVAL a year ago. Every culture appropriates and borrows from other cultur

These fake outrages are just one of the many reasons why the USA is not taken seriously anymore. Woke and cancel cultures have truly become their own cancer to society. 

salty like sodium
3 minutes ago, Linus Gaga said:

i said the same in the other thread 

should we stop everyone who are not Japanese, cosplaying Japanese anime characters? 

should we not using some cultural traditional recipes to cook something cuz we are not from the culture ?

Cosplay and cooking is a different thing imo, even though both do have some issues.

With Cosplay, the issue is more with race, i.e. if you are cosplaying a white manga character that is not perceived as problematic but if you are cosplaying an asian manga character without being asian that's considered as race-bending.

For cooking, this is very interesting because food has actually already been culturally appropriated (or integrated) into global communities. But the interesting thing here is that a lot of foreign foods in western countries actually are not 'cultural traditional recipes' because the recipes were often white-washed :bear: (less spicy, less unusual ingredients, etc.) So that's like just picking the parts of the culture you like and throwing away the parts you don't like, which is a different kind of issue altogether. 

  • LMAO 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Linus Gaga
14 minutes ago, salty like sodium said:

Cosplay and cooking is a different thing imo, even though both do have some issues.

With Cosplay, the issue is more with race, i.e. if you are cosplaying a white manga character that is not perceived as problematic but if you are cosplaying an asian manga character without being asian that's considered as race-bending.

For cooking, this is very interesting because food has actually already been culturally appropriated (or integrated) into global communities. But the interesting thing here is that a lot of foreign foods in western countries actually are not 'cultural traditional recipes' because the recipes were often white-washed :bear: (less spicy, less unusual ingredients, etc.) So that's like just picking the parts of the culture you like and throwing away the parts you don't like, which is a different kind of issue altogether. 

 I won't consider both as an issue at all. 

If you say so, Halloween is coming, as an asian, os that I cannot dress as Dracula or Annabelle ? 2015 Met Gala theme was about China, are they all appropriation? No

And for food, I'm living in Australia and I do find some restaurants are not cooking exactly the way we traditionally cook, but I won't call them out or cancel them cuz they are doing it "wrong" , it's just a common thing and cultural sharing and learning still takes time. 

Also @KanyeWest didn't say anything wrong,i think it is so common to hire or buy their traditional clothing while traveling another country.

 

(just my opinion :haroon: )

Edited by Linus Gaga
Hit me a message and say hi !
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
salty like sodium
4 minutes ago, Linus Gaga said:

 I won't consider both as an issue at all. 

If you say so, Halloween is coming, as an asian, os that I cannot dress as Dracula or Annabelle ?

For the Halloween thing, I'm just going to refer you back to this link I already shared on this post:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_appropriation#:~:text=Cultural appropriation is the unacknowledged,culture appropriate from minority cultures.

It's about dominant cultures and systems of oppression. Since you are not oppressing the cultures that have created Dracula or Annabelle, cosplay away. :huntyga:

7 minutes ago, Linus Gaga said:

2015 Met Gala theme was about China, are they all appropriation?

YES, it is appropriation for the Met gala, which is already problematic on so many levels and has been boycotted by many celebrities as such. :huntyga:

8 minutes ago, Linus Gaga said:

And for food, I'm living in Australia and I do find some restaurants are not cooking exactly the way we traditionally cook, but I won't call them out or cancel them cuz they are doing it "wrong" , it's just a common thing and cultural sharing and learning still takes time. 

Still part of cultural appropriation, where the foreign cultures are forced to adapt to fit the western mindset, instead of the western mindset adapting to the foreign cultures. I don't make the rules, unfortunately, that's just the way the world works. :messga:

9 minutes ago, Linus Gaga said:

Also @KanyeWest didn't say anything wrong,i think it is so common to hire or buy their traditional clothing while traveling another country.

Just because something is common doesn't make it right. :bear: It used to be legal (and common) to be racist in a lot of parts of the world, fyi.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Linus Gaga
7 minutes ago, salty like sodium said:

Just because something is common doesn't make it right. :bear: It used to be legal (and common) to be racist in a lot of parts of the world, fyi.

Depends on is it real racist or the 'cultural appropriation when it is actually appreciation' 

because the traditional clothing hire place is everywhere in countries like japan and korea, either have to pay or free, for tourist to dress and walk around the city for photos.

Real racist, of course, I don't stand it, no one should. But cultural appropriation I find it a lot of time is just people digging for something to feel offended, especially the ones calling out people aren't even from the cultural background. 

Is like when Katy Perry performed Unconditionally with traditional Japanese Outfit, most people canceling her are just people from the west, while the Japanese fans were happy to see Katy adding their culture element into her performance

Hit me a message and say hi !
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
salty like sodium
13 minutes ago, Linus Gaga said:

Depends on is it real racist or the 'cultural appropriation when it is actually appreciation' 

because the traditional clothing hire place is everywhere in countries like japan and korea, either have to pay or free, for tourist to dress and walk around the city for photos.

Real racist, of course, I don't stand it, no one should. But cultural appropriation I find it a lot of time is just people digging for something to feel offended, especially the ones calling out people aren't even from the cultural background. 

Is like when Katy Perry performed Unconditionally with traditional Japanese Outfit, most people canceling her are just people from the west, while the Japanese fans were happy to see Katy adding their culture element into her performance

:bear: so much to say so little time. I'm going to leave it at that sorry :kiss:

Link to post
Share on other sites
bubbletea
20 hours ago, Fanta said:

I'm glad she addressed it, albeit a bit late, but it's good. It's true that in the UK during those festivals everyone is dressed up and completely immersed in sharing beautiful Jamaican culture, but I can also totally see how that can horribly mistranslate over in America. I don't think her intentions were bad, but the timing was. Glad she's educated herself, go on queen.

agree but it's weird how she waits for major interviews to manifest any type of criticism or responses 

  • Like 1
  • YAAAS 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Fanta
9 minutes ago, bubbletea said:

agree but it's weird how she waits for major interviews to manifest any type of criticism or responses 

It's out of touch and ignorant, as if acknowledgment of such mistakes requires calculation. You simply take accountability, apologize, get educated and move on.

  • Like 2
  • YAAAS 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
dojo
1 hour ago, salty like sodium said:

For cooking, this is very interesting because food has actually already been culturally appropriated (or integrated) into global communities. But the interesting thing here is that a lot of foreign foods in western countries actually are not 'cultural traditional recipes' because the recipes were often white-washed :bear: (less spicy, less unusual ingredients, etc.) So that's like just picking the parts of the culture you like and throwing away the parts you don't like, which is a different kind of issue altogether. 

tiffany pollard GIF

ᶜᵃʳᵃᵛᵃᵍᵍⁱᵒ ⁱⁿ ᵃ ᶜᵒʳⁿᵉʳ ˢᵗᵒʳᵉ...
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
BlueRose
3 hours ago, Linus Gaga said:

i said the same in the other thread 

should we stop everyone who are not Japanese, cosplaying Japanese anime characters? 

should we not using some cultural traditional recipes to cook something cuz we are not from the culture ?

that was me quoting people who actually said that techno n drag begun from blakc people and therefore white people are appropriating the culture. i dont actually believe that

Link to post
Share on other sites
PlasticHo
On 10/9/2021 at 10:27 AM, Fanta said:

It's out of touch and ignorant, as if acknowledgment of such mistakes requires calculation. You simply take accountability, apologize, get educated and move on.

It's likely because she hadn't done many interviews and she doesn't use social media really. So, it's likely the first time she got asked in an interview about it. If you follow Adele, you'd know she doesn't put much thought into social media, Stan wars, etc. She lives her freaking life. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
NCgaga
On 10/9/2021 at 12:27 PM, Fanta said:

It's out of touch and ignorant, as if acknowledgment of such mistakes requires calculation. You simply take accountability, apologize, get educated and move on.

It’s none of these. She was at a Jamaican festival where everyone is appreciating and dressing up like the culture. Most of you are actually probably from western cultures, and are always the most offended by this. Get a grip, and she should NOT apologize. 

  • LMAO 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Fanta
On 10/13/2021 at 7:33 AM, NCgaga said:

It’s none of these. She was at a Jamaican festival where everyone is appreciating and dressing up like the culture. Most of you are actually probably from western cultures, and are always the most offended by this. Get a grip, and she should NOT apologize. 

Unless you're a spokesperson for the black community (actually, a black person yourself) it is not your place to presume she shouldn't apologize. Black people were offended because it was their culture, and it not a non-black person's place to say otherwise. Unless you are black yourself, where your opinion is the most valid here, the audacity.

Edited by Fanta
Link to post
Share on other sites
TasteLikeWhiskey

Every single day, yeah I dig a grave...

Do not think I underestimate your great concern
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...