Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Adele Responds To Racist and Cultural Appropriation Allegations

Blastertoyo

Featured Posts

Blastertoyo
7 minutes ago, BlueRose said:

but culture is something else. people should exchange/borrow the good stuff

I’m not saying culture shouldn’t be shared. I’m saying that culture isn’t a costume or a trend though. 

Adele participating in an event that embraces cultural traditions of Jamaica is different than Jesy and KarJenners wearing black hairstyles for aesthetic and then uneducated people are like “wow that’s such a 2016/2020 trend” :huntyga:

I want it to be ridiculous for people to look back and think that in the 2010-2020 it was “cool to pretend to be and look black” because it is ridiculous 

please enlighten me to death

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While it is true similar situations are way more controversial in the US, it is NOT a white person's place to tell a person of color how to feel/react when they see a white person appropriating their culture.

I think it's pretty clear the general consensus is that celebrating a culture like in Adele's case is one thing, while completely changing your look is another. Khloe Kardashian is a prime example, the Kardashian-Jenner clan as a whole actually. Picking and choosing what they like from black culture that they feel fits their aesthetic while surrounding themselves with black people like they're props.

Furthermore, because of the disgusting history of the US black people have a right to gatekeep their culture and trends. People called their wigs ratchet/ghetto, extra-long stylized nails trashy, their neighborhoods the 'hood' and their presentation unprofessional: now their culture is what's in and everyone (including some white appropriating people) want a piece of that. It's the nature of what happened and they have every right to be skeptical.

If some black people are completely fine with it, that is THEIR choice and not anyone else's from any other race. The same goes if they don't like it.

2 minutes ago, Blastertoyo said:

I’m not saying culture shouldn’t be shared. I’m saying that culture isn’t a costume or a trend though. 

Adele participating in an event that embraces cultural traditions of Jamaica is different than Jesy and KarJenners wearing black hairstyles for aesthetic and then uneducated people are like “wow that’s such a 2016/2020 trend” :huntyga:

I want it to be ridiculous for people to look back and think that in the 2010-2020 it was “cool to pretend to be and look black” because it is ridiculous 

unnamed-2.jpg?strip=all&quality=80

Exhibit A.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/dear-khloe-cultural-appropriation-of-black-hairstyles_b_57b380cde4b014a587fba07c

I've linked a great article explaining why cultural appropriation is a thing. Some of y'all (not you @Blastertoyo) should educate yourselves.

This is all so petty and inconsequential.  Focus on things that matter.  I hate social media.   

BlueRose

stop white epeople from doing techno,stop white people from doing drag...that s cultural appropriation. the kardashians affected a w hole a great deal of the planet  with their choices and treating people like probs is trash

Blastertoyo
1 hour ago, BlueRose said:

stop white people from doing drag...that s cultural appropriation.

:ladyhaha: Imagine saying this and thinking you did something 

Cross-dressing on stage is as old as theater itself: From the ancient Greeks to Elizabethan dramas, male actors happily performed female roles. But it was minstrelsy, vaudeville and burlesque in the late 1800s that birthed what we know as "drag" today.

Julian Eltinge, one of the most acclaimed female impersonators of the 20th century, made his big Broadway debut in 1904, in the musical comedy Mr. Wix of Wickham. Soon enough he was touring the U.S. and Europe—even giving a command performance for England's King Edward VII. Eltinge was one of the top-earning entertainers of his day, eventually getting his own Broadway theater (now the AMC Empire movie theater on 42nd Street).

https://www.newsweek.com/herstory-drag-julian-eltinge-rupauls-drag-race-1415489

3 hours ago, Wolf Boy said:

I wonder what the aliens think of this…

We can’t say “aliens” anymore. Didn’t you see what Demi said? It’s offensive to ETs :teehee:

BlueRose
36 minutes ago, Blastertoyo said:

:ladyhaha: Imagine saying this and thinking you did something 

Cross-dressing on stage is as old as theater itself: From the ancient Greeks to Elizabethan dramas, male actors happily performed female roles. But it was minstrelsy, vaudeville and burlesque in the late 1800s that birthed what we know as "drag" today.

Julian Eltinge, one of the most acclaimed female impersonators of the 20th century, made his big Broadway debut in 1904, in the musical comedy Mr. Wix of Wickham. Soon enough he was touring the U.S. and Europe—even giving a command performance for England's King Edward VII. Eltinge was one of the top-earning entertainers of his day, eventually getting his own Broadway theater (now the AMC Empire movie theater on 42nd Street).

https://www.newsweek.com/herstory-drag-julian-eltinge-rupauls-drag-race-1415489

that s exactly what I m saying people saying this kinda non sense and think they are woke. but when it comes to clothing and hair it's cultural appropriation. you put a laughing emoji to ridicule me while you implied that greek culture is talked about because ancient greeks were colonizers. not showing respect for conversation? very woke indeed

Blastertoyo
18 minutes ago, BlueRose said:

that s exactly what I m saying people saying this kinda non sense and think they are woke.

🪞 

heres a mirror, use it

”white people doing drag is cultural appropriation”

:ladyhaha:

Blastertoyo
5 hours ago, Simon said:

Wow, how rude. Culture, ideas everything is fluid. There's so many things invented by white people, other by black, other by asians etc etc etc... In technology, culture, in every aspect of our life and we shouldn't say things like that. If we were to limit culture, stop spreading it, and everyone sat in their culture bubble, we would regress as a humanity. I hate snowflakes, and cancel culture

Also also 

I didn’t even notice until now how f*cking shady it was for you to edit my quote and make it look like that 

:what:

you literally took out the part where it says “one user said” and make it seem like one line that I posted.

:awkney:

salty like sodium
6 hours ago, Fanta said:

I'm glad she addressed it, albeit a bit late, but it's good. It's true that in the UK during those festivals everyone is dressed up and completely immersed in sharing beautiful Jamaican culture, but I can also totally see how that can horribly mistranslate over in America. I don't think her intentions were bad, but the timing was. Glad she's educated herself, go on queen.

But also just because everyone does it doesn't mean it's ok, America may have very different race dynamics but that also means that the discourse and understanding of those dynamics in academic circles is much broader than it is in other places imo. Like the cultural appropriation debate in the UK isn't necessarily as strong, but that doesn't mean that there is no cultural appropriation. It's impossible for a culture to be 'shared' when they are not all treated equally by laws, institutions and even public opinion.

And it's kinda meh that her comment is "I get why some people FELT that way", implying she doesn't believe that that's what she was doing. Still it's nice that she addressed it and owned up to it, I suppose!

1 minute ago, salty like sodium said:

But also just because everyone does it doesn't mean it's ok, America may have very different race dynamics but that also means that the discourse and understanding of those dynamics in academic circles is much broader than it is in other places imo. Like the cultural appropriation debate in the UK isn't necessarily as strong, but that doesn't mean that there is no cultural appropriation. It's impossible for a culture to be 'shared' when they are not all treated equally by laws, institutions and even public opinion.

And it's kinda meh that her comment is "I get why some people FELT that way", implying she doesn't believe that that's what she was doing. Still it's nice that she addressed it and owned up to it, I suppose!

But it's exactly that. SOME people feel that way. Americans FEEL that way. Doesn't mean everyone else does. Most countries and people are happy to share their culture and have it appreciated by others, it's only Americans that scream "cultural appropriation"

a black person in America accusses someone of "cultural appropriation" but how might a person from an African country feel about some random American 4 generations down dressing in traditional clothing ? 

They could easily accuse them of the same thing but how often do you see it? Hardly ever? Because like I said already most people and nations like to share their culture with others. 

Archived