5 minutes ago, theahsfan said:

GettyImages-966528980.jpg

Jesy after her blackfishing accusations:

Ariana Grande And What About It GIF

Property of @Whale

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you’re telling me she’s not even a Little Mixed?

fragment-fragment--bul-uh...scab-uh..fragment-foot, bullet fragment foot bich!

Economy
1 minute ago, WheresMy911Alice said:

The problem is that often times, white people are praised for being "edgy" for having braids or dreads, whereas black people have experienced loss of employment and the like for wearing their natural hairstyle. 

This is just one example.

But wouldnt trying to segregate things like dreds only make the problem worse?

I get theres a double standard that shouldnt exist because of a racism problem... but i dont think society responding this way is gonna help i think its slowing down progress

Because then any new style thats made popular in the black community doesnt become just a style. It becomes "the black style" or the "brown style" etc. 

U basically end up over emphasizing race as an identity simply by how u dress and putting people in categories and somehow thats suppostu be helpful to make progress? :huh:

We ended physical segregation. Not sure why creating social standard segregation on stuff as simple as dress and grooming is suppostu be helpful. Seems more like regressing.

Cruelty
Just now, bionic said:

I hope she has people who ar elooking out for her

I just worry that they're desperately trying to follow the Beyonce/Robbie Williams pattern (first one out of the band has an incredible solo career) without thinking about whether Jesy's mentally equipped to handle it yet. Allowing her to release this tone-deaf mess of a single would suggest to me they don't have her best interests at heart :shrug: but maybe that's just me :shrug:

BlingNotTheMusic
4 minutes ago, Economy said:

But wouldnt trying to segregate things like dreds only make the problem worse?

I get theres a double standard that shouldnt exist because of a racism problem... but i dont think society responding this way is gonna help i think its slowing down progress

Because then any new style thats made popular in the black community doesnt become just a style. It becomes "the black style" or the "brown style" etc. 

U basically end up over emphasizing race as an identity simply by how u dress and putting people in categories and somehow thats suppostu be helpful to make progress? :huh:

We ended physical segregation. Not sure why creating social standard segregation on stuff as simple as dress and grooming is suppostu be helpful. Seems more like regressing.

You made some great points. However, as a privileged white male, I decided a few years ago that I would listen to BIPOC during these times. I'm not dragging you, just something I have found to help in these scenarios. 

BlingNotTheMusic
6 minutes ago, INNA said:

So you’re telling me she’s not even a Little Mixed?

COMMENT OF THE YEAR :enigma:

rasclautmangos

I'm just surprised people though she was anything other than white lol. 

I'm sure Jesy means no harm. I just get flashbacks to Miley Cyrus using a black urban aesthetic to seem edgy, perpetuating every negative stereotype imaginable, then dropping it and speaking down on a whole genre when it no longer benefited her.

As a melanin infused person, I cant say I care about it in some aspects, but do in others.

Hair is hair, you do you.

Clothes are clothes, go at it, nobody owns fabric on a cultural level.

However, darkening her skin and using a black-population-country infused accent is way way out of line.

Then again, British culture especially where she lives, is very much a melting pot of various cultures. So I'm sure it's authentically "her".

It's not the first time it's happened. Cheryl Cole used to have some black in her.

JohnWayne92

Okay, so I’m white. My Dad, who raised me from the time I can remember, is Hispanic. My brother is half Hispanic, half my family is Hispanic. My life long best friend is Pakistani, my childhood best friend was African American, my fiancĂ© is half African American/Half White. I grew up in and around all of these cultures because of it, and I’m told that I need to sit in my little white box? That isn’t fair. I grew up surrounded by a plethora of cultures/ethnicities. 

I don’t know why we continue to generalize everything for everyone, constantly. No two humans are ever the same, our one thread that does connect is that we are just that, humans. There is no normal, there is none of the social constructs we have continued to force on ourselves. No situation is the same, and it’s ridiculous for everyone to go around acting like they are. 

When I was growing up, the goal was for everyone to be accepted, and for all of the lines to blur and everyone just be human. Now, instead, most people have just become comfortable with idea of switching places, instead of making racism and xenophobia wrong all the way around. 

it’s like when people say, I did a 360, when they mean a 180. 360 just means your back on your Scheiße. 

Gimme More
9 minutes ago, rasclautmangos said:

I'm just surprised people though she was anything other than white lol. 

I'm sure Jesy means no harm.

8 minutes ago, KORG said:

As a melanin infused person, I cant say I care about it in some aspects, but do in others.

Hair is hair, you do you.

Clothes are clothes, go at it, nobody owns fabric on a cultural level.

Then again, British culture especially where she lives, is very much a melting pot of various cultures. So I'm sure it's authentically "her".

It's not the first time it's happened. Cheryl Cole used to have some black in her.

both of these.

Plus people seem to pick and choose who this is an issue with and praise Ariana and ignore it. 

I think it's hypocritical so supportive of her in ROM then those same people coming for Jesy.

I'm from the UK and most people in the UK, overly tan, especially where Jesy is from. This is just how it is in the UK and that is British culture unfortunately. I'm sure she's not doing it to be black or look black.

#JusticeForBritney ♡

Cruelty
3 minutes ago, Gimme More said:

both of these.

Plus people seem to pick and choose who this is an issue with and praise Ariana and ignore it. 

I think it's hypocritical so supportive of her in ROM then those same people coming for Jesy.

I'm from the UK and most people in the UK, overly tan, especially where Jesy is from. This is just how it is in the UK and that is British culture unfortunately. I'm sure she's not doing it to be black or look black.

I was wondering when you'd turn up.

It's nice that you can think 'that's just how it is in the UK', but others can't see it like that. Why are you excusing her for something that you describe as 'unfortunate'? Regardless of her intentions, she's been told many times that her actions are offending many people. And nothing has changed.

JohnWayne92
4 minutes ago, Gimme More said:

both of these.

Can someone explain to me how someone that is Italian is always called white?

Economy
24 minutes ago, WheresMy911Alice said:

You made some great points. However, as a privileged white male, I decided a few years ago that I would listen to BIPOC during these times. I'm not dragging you, just something I have found to help in these scenarios. 

Of course, only BIPOC can truly understand the feeling. I would never dismiss it

However knowing a feeling doesnt mean ur always gonna be constiously aware of unintended consequences. Emotion can actually cloud ur judgement too. 

I think theres stuff worth considering. Cuz I personally genuinely believe a lot of stuff being promoted with a good intention may actually be making problems worse in ways ppl arent necessairily constiously thinking.

If that happens all the time in all aspects of life and well intentioned stuff backfires all the time, its not so far fetched imo to think it could be happening here too

JohnWayne92
1 minute ago, NeonSkeleton said:

It's nice that you can think 'that's just how it is in the UK', but others can't see it like that. Why are you excusing her for something that you describe as 'unfortunate'? Regardless of her intentions, she's been told many times that her actions are offending many people. And nothing has changed.

So
I take problem with this because who tf isn’t offended by something now of days. The internet literally looks for something to be offended over, and that doesn’t mean people have to change who they are because of it, or address it? 

If all of us had to PUBLICLY address every little thing we did, we would hate our lives. 

Gimme More
2 minutes ago, NeonSkeleton said:

Well of course you don't see it like that as I said it is British culture, well I personally believe she looks like most other british girls and find it weird how it's suddenly an issue 10 years later after she's left LM.

I guess you forgave Ariana and forgot all about it whilst supporting ROM, people need to stop being hypocrites and picking and choosing when it fits them.

I feel like most people are snowflakes today and will cancel someone over anything.

#JusticeForBritney ♡

Archived