💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Why is Adele so popular?

Suspiria

Featured Posts

Chromatican
3 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Don't get me wrong, I totally get a lot of the reasons people here are outlining. She was an antidote to the electro craze of the time, she's real, she sticks to what works and so on and so forth. But...there are plenty of other artists who have done and continue to do the same thing and they've never had an iota of her success. So I can only conclude she must have the most incredible marketing team behind her. It's no surprise that she's a graduate of the BRIT school, a lot of them go on to have successful careers and even though she doesn't do a lot of promo, she must be getting marketed in other ways. Ultimately, her success bothers me because of this...

That's precisely it. So many artists push themselves to excel in all these things yet can't be successful like her and I can't understand it. Most artists who don't connect with their fans, rarely promote and have huge gaps between albums (with only 2 music videos per album, I might add) become irrelevant faster than you can say Ferrari. Christina Aguilera is a huge casualty of all those things. Yet, Adele remains relevant even when she's not doing anything and is in hiding. The public's attention span is awful, has been for a long time yet with Adele, it's always tuned in. I find it downright unfair, if I'm being honest. And I'm getting tired of it all coming back to the reasoning of "because she's talented." There are many artists out there who are way more talented and can't get to her commercial level. I really feel the world need to expand their horizons more if they think Adele is the best to offer if you're into ballads. The public's fascination with her is akin to an earlier time period before streaming and we just accepted what the media fed us to be the best artists. It's so weird.

I think the marketing has to be a big part of it. I remember seeing Adele on Ugly Betty in 2008 or 2009 and she was just seen as a talented singer with a small devoted fanbase like Duffy. A couple years go by and when 21 hits it’s like the media suddenly decided Adele was the best thing to ever happen to music. I remember guests on the Wendy Williams show of all things saying they stanned Adele. I remember a ton of articles calling her the anti-Gaga and took major issue with it. I have issues with Taylor Swift, but at least she is hardworking af and does take some risks once in awhile. I found 25 to be massively underwhelming, but the gp ate it up and Adele was once again awarded album of the year. Imagine if she wins again after saying Beyonce should’ve won last time. 

No hate, at least Adele seems like a genuinely nice person. 

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
altern8version

She’s talented, genuine, doesn’t have to keep up with inauthentic gimmicks to stay relevant, has a wide range of appeal… sometimes talent wins idk 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

FFXIV WhiteMage

Ballads.

she put out great ballads and these songs are almost all encompassing.

just look at Shallow and ARUTW. 

Flawless

I agree with a lot opinions in here. Her music is really timeless and well crafted, It sounds rich. But I think her voice is what makes her stand out. She's in a league of true vocalists and when she appeared, the pop girls weren't known for their amazing voice. She brought back the powerful female vocal who dominated the charts some decades ago. That's why I think she's so acclaimed and respected.

the scars on my mind are on replay.

The Z
13 hours ago, KanyeWest said:

Hello is the most beautiful ballad of the 10s. It's not common

Uhmm... what?

21 arguably has better ballads, so does 25, so does ASIB, so does...ARTPOP

Versace

She’s undeniably a great vocalist and songwriter but I do agree she’s overrated. Her sales can compete with how legends sold in the 80’s. In an age where albums barely sell, her success sounds mythical. I think nostalgia is a contributing factor in her success and I don’t think many have caught onto it yet since it is happening subconsciously I feel. What I mean by that is that Adele feels like an artist from the past, reminiscent of power vocalists of the 80’s like Whitney, Celine, Tina Turner, Diana Ross, etc. So you’ll have an entire generation swoon by her. At the same time a younger generation is able to appreciate her due to how catchy her delivery is. Make no mistake her songs may not be super uptempo but they are definitely earworms (ex: Rolling in the Deep, Someone Like You, Hello, etc). Her songs aren’t Just acoustic guitar songs, they have an infectious structuring to them in a similar manner to Pop music. She’s worked with Ryan Tedder and Max Martin. Her and her team are  trying to make hits and don’t you believe otherwise. 

PlasticHo
On 10/5/2021 at 12:05 PM, Joshie said:

Perhaps all the reasons you mentioned are exactly why she’s successful. She’s a musician. She’s a vocalist. 

She doesn’t use huge budget for videos, she doesn’t use shock tactics, except once a decade for an album release, she doesn’t strip down for sex appeal, she doesn’t make the same manufactured pop, she’s doesn’t throw out cheap collabs, she doesn’t give her fan base some silly name. The list goes on.

She’s very down to Earth. She’s very relatable. She doesn’t spam social media with her celebrity, famous lifestyle. She’s just a gal in London who found success in music, who doesn’t sing in an American accent like you say, IMO. 

And she makes me laugh in almost any interview/appearance. She is so true to herself while also hilarious. I love her music, but it also helps that I can relate to and enjoy HER as a person. (Well, what little we get to see :) )

PlasticHo
On 10/5/2021 at 8:13 PM, StrawberryBlond said:

Don't get me wrong, I totally get a lot of the reasons people here are outlining. She was an antidote to the electro craze of the time, she's real, she sticks to what works and so on and so forth. But...there are plenty of other artists who have done and continue to do the same thing and they've never had an iota of her success. So I can only conclude she must have the most incredible marketing team behind her. It's no surprise that she's a graduate of the BRIT school, a lot of them go on to have successful careers and even though she doesn't do a lot of promo, she must be getting marketed in other ways. Ultimately, her success bothers me because of this...

That's precisely it. So many artists push themselves to excel in all these things yet can't be successful like her and I can't understand it. Most artists who don't connect with their fans, rarely promote and have huge gaps between albums (with only 2 music videos per album, I might add) become irrelevant faster than you can say Ferrari. Christina Aguilera is a huge casualty of all those things. Yet, Adele remains relevant even when she's not doing anything and is in hiding. The public's attention span is awful, has been for a long time yet with Adele, it's always tuned in. I find it downright unfair, if I'm being honest. And I'm getting tired of it all coming back to the reasoning of "because she's talented." There are many artists out there who are way more talented and can't get to her commercial level. I really feel the world need to expand their horizons more if they think Adele is the best to offer if you're into ballads. The public's fascination with her is akin to an earlier time period before streaming and we just accepted what the media fed us to be the best artists. It's so weird.

I mean this in a nice way. Can you share an artist you believe deserves Adele's success based on their vocals/talent? Because, I'd like to go watch their interviews and maybe I could provide a reason (for me at least). For me, Adele is very unique and hilarious in her interviews and that is what draws me in. It's like, I love Celine and Whitney, but I did not connect to their personality near as much. That's the case for many of the great singers who aren't successful, they're personality doesn't stand out and I'm sure their lack of marketing team is an issue also. 

Anderson123
On 10/5/2021 at 11:51 AM, CameltoeKween said:

I listened to all three of her albums in a row a couple weeks ago when all the hype about 30 started to ramp up, and even though I've been a longtime fan of Adele something else dawned on me.

She has built a catalogue of music that is absolutely timeless, with perfect production and classical qualities that transcend trend. None of her albums sound like a particular time, and yet also sound "now", No other pop girls have achieved this. Her lyrics are mature and ageless and fit her just as well as a 30-something mother as when she was a 19 year old music school graduate.

There's going to be a bunch of basic opinion pieces like this thread now that she's back, with people criticizing her for not doing something "different" or trying to paint her as this boring singer. It's the same every album and yet there isn't a single person in the music industry who doesn't get nervous when she pops back with a new body of work lmao

Adele has been this old friend that has woven in and out of my life and every time she comes back I welcome her with open arms. I would never want her to change to fit expectations or try to chase a trend.

On 10/5/2021 at 12:05 PM, Joshie said:

Perhaps all the reasons you mentioned are exactly why she’s successful. She’s a musician. She’s a vocalist. 

She doesn’t use huge budget for videos, she doesn’t use shock tactics, except once a decade for an album release, she doesn’t strip down for sex appeal, she doesn’t make the same manufactured pop, she’s doesn’t throw out cheap collabs, she doesn’t give her fan base some silly name. The list goes on.

She’s very down to Earth. She’s very relatable. She doesn’t spam social media with her celebrity, famous lifestyle. She’s just a gal in London who found success in music, who doesn’t sing in an American accent like you say, IMO. 

These two answers pretty much.

Adele also used to be overweight and I feel like a lot of people identify with that and see it as more down-to-earth

She writes relatable emotional lyrics in conversational english and the vocal delivery is usually perfect.

StrawberryBlond
36 minutes ago, PlasticHo said:

I mean this in a nice way. Can you share an artist you believe deserves Adele's success based on their vocals/talent? Because, I'd like to go watch their interviews and maybe I could provide a reason (for me at least). For me, Adele is very unique and hilarious in her interviews and that is what draws me in. It's like, I love Celine and Whitney, but I did not connect to their personality near as much. That's the case for many of the great singers who aren't successful, they're personality doesn't stand out and I'm sure their lack of marketing team is an issue also. 

Well, my views on what makes a good singer may be different to yours. I know a lot of people will scoff at me saying that Lana Del Rey is a better singer or songwriter but I truly believe she is. I could listen to her ethereal voice all day and her lyrics are so descriptive and intelligent. But Lana's a quiet personality, very soft spoken and reserved. But I prefer personalities like that. I find Adele's personality to be too OTT and irritating, particularly her outrageous cackle. I personally find her speaking voice to be very grating and her singing technique is nowhere near as good as it's made out to be, she strains too much and it actually makes me wince (beats me how more don't call her out for it - the way her voice cracks when she starts to sing "never mind I'll find someone like you" always gets me). We introverts prefer celebrities to be more chill and we prefer them for their music anyway, seeing as that's what they do. I really couldn't care how a singer is like out of the studio. But I realise that a lot of the singers I like just don't have the marketing team who prioritises them or they don't want to put themselves out there. And in the case of Lana, the industry treated her in such a sexist way when she started out because she was a pretty girl singing about toxic relationships. People gravitate towards someone like Adele because she and her music are uncomplicated and unproblematic. It doesn't change, it doesn't challenge. I find that kind of music to be boring, but each to their own.

27 minutes ago, Chic said:

Adele also used to be overweight and I feel like a lot of people identify with that and see it as more down-to-earth

That's proven by all the people who bashed her when she lost all that weight. They were saying stuff like "you've let down fat girls everywhere," "you've sold out to get more fans and sales," "we shouldn't celebrate drastic weight loss," "she looked better before and she looks like everyone else now" and more. Clearly, so much of it came from insecurity within her fans who were maybe feeling down about their weight until she came along and started repping it for the bigger girls. And a lot of them are living vicariously through her. I once saw someone say that if Adele looked like a Barbie doll, no one would have listened to her music like they did because we don't have a lot of tolerance for perfect girls singing heartbreak ballads. We believe they have nothing to be sad about and whatever problems they have are easily fixed. But a girl who's curvier, a bit flawed, more normal looking, we think that's the template for who should be singing "real" music. It's crazy how we downplay women's talent, put it into boxes and think it's only worth listening to if it fits very specific criteria.

RAMROD

You already got your answer on your own post, @Suspiria

Majority of people doesn't care about extravagance, originality, or symbolism in lyrics, they'd choose relatability and simplicity at all times over that. They just wanna listen to and enjoy music, not analyze it.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ unknown.. despair.. a lost (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Suspiria
On 10/12/2021 at 4:49 AM, RAMROD said:

You already got your answer on your own post, @Suspiria

Majority of people doesn't care about extravagance, originality, or symbolism in lyrics, they'd choose relatability and simplicity at all times over that. They just wanna listen to and enjoy music, not analyze it.

But I still don't understand why she's SO successful. Like ok I can see why people would like her, but there are a million other 'relatable' simple artists out there with good voices.

I guess it's an impossible question to answer, it all comes down to timing and opportunities (as with everything in the entertainment industry). I mostly made this thread just to vent lol, it just irks me to see someone I find so bland and uninteresting receive the attention and praise of the entire universe. In other words, I'm a hater!:grr:

Archived