💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Why is Adele so popular?

Suspiria

Featured Posts

Suspiria

Adele is undeniably one of the biggest artists of all time, she smashes records with every release, is drowning in awards and acclaim, and even when she is totally silent for 5 years, the second she hints at a comeback the internet literally breaks.

She is certainly good at what she does. She can sing a good ballad, if you like that sort of thing. But what is it that makes her SO earth-shatteringly popular?

The type of music she makes (and appears to be continuing to make) is very common. There are literally thousands of artists from the past 50 years who make music very similar to hers. People love to call her 'authentic' and whatever but why does a girl from London sing with the accent of an American soul singer? Her visuals are objectively boring for the most part. She has not made any time to cultivate a fanbase or any connection with her fans, being radio silent for most of the past decade. And given how few and far between her releases are, it's not like she's a fixture in people's minds.

So she is not unique, not that 'authentic', not that hard working. Her music isn't undeniably fun or exciting, her visuals are not exciting.

Do I think she deserves no success? No, she writes her own songs, she is a consistent live performer. Her stuff is pretty consistent overall. But there are really no super special qualities about her, there is nothing I can think of that would make her SO so appealing to 99% of the earth's population. It boggles my mind.

Me rn:

DmcBNPDX4AEyDQG.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CyanDante

There's a genuine likability that I feel goes across people of all ages. Plus her music as well, especially the lyrics , also resonate with people across the world irrespective of age or race. And is also highly accessible that is not really controversial and is safe that will never go out of style, at any given time.

I mean I started listening to English music around 2009 and Someone Like You was the first song I cried to lmao, even though there was no one. :ladyhaha:

I'm not very good with Social Mediaᵀᴹ

Doily Skull

First of all, the post at the bottom is unnecessarily hateful 🙄 it is absolutely tragic how fans will shoot down an artist whose music they don’t appreciate just because the numbers are going against their fave. Your fave is getting paid and doesn’t even know you exist either way, so what exactly is with that attitude?

as far as her longevity, I think a large portion is just the music is well produced, she has a fantastic voice, and it’s content that everybody can relate to. Everybody has dealt with heartbreak, being hurt, and at the time it was a different sound than what we were getting in the early 2010s. I remember hearing “rolling in the deep“ for the first time and thinking “is this an older song?“ so, there could very well be a sense of nostalgia that comes along with this music as well. Beyond that, she has a absolutely hilarious personality, she’s one of these artists that does not put up a front when she’s talking. She sings beautifully, and sounds so ****ing Cockney and cusses every other word, she is undeniably charming in her own way.

EDIT: I would like to supplement this by saying that another reason she got popular is because that’s just how the music industry made it happen. They saw an opportunity and they pushed and pushed and pushed. Yeah, her visuals aren’t insane, but that’s the point. She’s meant to be someone you can relate to.

~staying stupid through my holy days~

Mother of Puppies

She plays it safe and therefor appeals to the general public I would say.

Call me LADY MOP & I'll mop the floor with you 🧹

mr.peter

sometimes things just connect. and Adelle has a special something that connects to a lot of people

Biagio2103

Well, at first she went massive because she brought autenticity in a moment where the music industry was filled with cheap pop music. She has massive appeal because her lyrics are not sexual, don't normally have bad words and are very relatable. Her voice is also very soft to the ears. She's also very sweet and down to earth, and doesn't involve on political things or anything controversial. I mean, absolutely anyone from anywhere at any age could like Adele.

I'm only good at being bad

Chromatican

She came in at the right time with 21, a universal album with themes of heartbreak and loss with a lot of music that appealed to people of multiple generations. Another factor is the fact that in 2011 the mainstream musical landscape had become so EDM and there was a major backlash to artists like Gaga, Katy, Kesha, and LMFAO. Electronic music become a phenomenon, and Adele and Lana Del Rey were the start of the backlash to "autotuned talentless artists who only sing about partying" and Adele was seen as "real music" and an authentic artist. Adele's album 19 was released to way less fanfare because it wasn't an anomaly in the musical market at the time and didn't have a song like Rolling in the Deep which contrasted the more EDM pop sound of 2011.

Teletubby

she is talented British

i'm just a baby and @Juanlittlem is my ❀*·ꕤ. ☁️eternal enemy🌩️。˚❀

Cameltoe Chariot

I listened to all three of her albums in a row a couple weeks ago when all the hype about 30 started to ramp up, and even though I've been a longtime fan of Adele something else dawned on me.

She has built a catalogue of music that is absolutely timeless, with perfect production and classical qualities that transcend trend. None of her albums sound like a particular time, and yet also sound "now", No other pop girls have achieved this. Her lyrics are mature and ageless and fit her just as well as a 30-something mother as when she was a 19 year old music school graduate.

There's going to be a bunch of basic opinion pieces like this thread now that she's back, with people criticizing her for not doing something "different" or trying to paint her as this boring singer. It's the same every album and yet there isn't a single person in the music industry who doesn't get nervous when she pops back with a new body of work lmao

Adele has been this old friend that has woven in and out of my life and every time she comes back I welcome her with open arms. I would never want her to change to fit expectations or try to chase a trend.

JaysAMess

I think her personality has something to do with it too. She's fun, she doesn't take herself seriously, she's likeable and relatable.

This video pretty much sums it up tbh.

Perhaps all the reasons you mentioned are exactly why she’s successful. She’s a musician. She’s a vocalist. 

She doesn’t use huge budget for videos, she doesn’t use shock tactics, except once a decade for an album release, she doesn’t strip down for sex appeal, she doesn’t make the same manufactured pop, she’s doesn’t throw out cheap collabs, she doesn’t give her fan base some silly name. The list goes on.

She’s very down to Earth. She’s very relatable. She doesn’t spam social media with her celebrity, famous lifestyle. She’s just a gal in London who found success in music, who doesn’t sing in an American accent like you say, IMO. 

I think some similar reasons as Taylor, in the way she is not controversial at all and her music can appeal to many ages, but also her personality I think plays a part because she's very likeable

As well, her voice is powerful and somewhat unique, like your can tell it's her when you hear one of her songs

Archived