💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

prism was katy’s ‘ray of light’ minus the commitment

FentyGa

Featured Posts

FentyGa

i recently relistened to katy’s whole discography (i’m doing this with several MPGs, rating each song out of 10 and finding my % for each album but that’s another thread for another time), and i realised that Prism had potential.

the first 8 tracks are a mismatched greatest hits compilation of half decent pop songs. then, the rest of the album is a cohesive and personal story of love, both self-love and romantic love. it just feels like she wasn’t committed or confident enough in her own work to go completely personal with the album, and included the first 8 tracks to keep her young audience and her radio success.

and maybe she was right? she finally did commit to a more mature and ‘woke’ concept with witness, and she lost her audience. maybe prism wouldve tanked the same. or maybe it was soon enough in her career that she could’ve matured with her audience?

obv ray of light is the standard for MPG ‘spiritual’ albums, hence the comparison

thoughts?

Lucas

It's Katy's best album but it just can't be compared to Ray Of Light... Ray Of Light is on its own league.

Mother of Puppies

It's my favorite Katy album (next to TD)

Call me LADY MOP & I'll mop the floor with you 🧹

Cssomeone

I was listening to Legendary Lovers and Walking on Air earlier today:udidnt:

The thing I love the most about Ray of Light is how balanced it is, an experimental pop perfection with great production. Prism has some highlights but it's quite forgettable

Pennywise

I thought the rest of the title was going to say "minus the ray OR the light" :messga:

YOUR GOD IS NOT HERE MICHAEL NOR WILL HE EVER BE

M i K E Y

This era was her peak ngl. The tour alone :flutter:

I also re-listened to Prism the other day. I still love this album but realized that it has some fillers like Ghost, This Moment, Love me. Not meaning those songs are bad but you can clearly hear that the singles are the highlight on this album 

elijahfan

While I enjoyed Prism, the comparison makes absolutely no sense. By all means, this was a safe album for Katy, on par with her previous work - Ray of Light was a complete reinvention and a game changer. I don’t mean no disrespect, but what did Prism influence and who even remembers it today outside of obsessed delusional stans?

Hades
21 minutes ago, M i K E Y said:

This era was her peak ngl. The tour alone :flutter:

I also re-listened to Prism the other day. I still love this album but realized that it has some fillers like Ghost, This Moment, Love me. Not meaning those songs are bad but you can clearly hear that the singles are the highlight on this album 

I thought the same but honestly Ghost is severely underrated. The other two are rather forgettable i agree. 😅

M i K E Y
31 minutes ago, Hades said:

I thought the same but honestly Ghost is severely underrated. The other two are rather forgettable i agree. 😅

But can we agree that Double Rainbow is a standout? 

altern8version

no shade but I’ll never understand the general public’s constant need to compare music to other music 

M i K E Y
9 minutes ago, altern8version said:

no shade but I’ll never understand the general public’s constant need to compare music to other music 

I feel like it’s more discussing (in this case). There’s no right or wrong yk

Archived