💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Why is Taylor Swift So Popular?

Chromatican

Featured Posts

DanielM

I still feel like she is super local. At least in my country, I don't see that many people liking her. So it goes over my head how much Americans love such a blend white girl. :ladyhaha: But I think it's the same situation as Nicolas Sparks - little love stories are popular. Does that mean will be talking about Nicholas Sparks in 50 years? No. Popularity is different than impactful and groundbreaking. So I don't think people should praise Taylor so much just because she is popular. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chromatican
1 minute ago, DanielM said:

I still feel like she is super local. At least in my country, I don't see that many people liking her. So it goes over my head how much Americans love such a blend white girl. :ladyhaha: But I think it's the same situation as Nicolas Sparks - little love stories are popular. Does that mean will be talking about Nicholas Sparks in 50 years? No. Popularity is different than impactful and groundbreaking. So I don't think people should praise Taylor so much just because she is popular. 

What is the point in criticizing her for being local when her local sales are bigger than the global girls global sales though? ☠️

DanielM
2 minutes ago, Chromatican said:

What is the point in criticizing her for being local when her local sales are bigger than the global girls global sales though? ☠️

I'm not criticizing her for being local. I'm just saying she is a local phenom, and that is why it is difficult for me to understand her popularity. I mean, I can see why Beyoncé is popular - she really appeals to everyone in the WORLD. Taylor is an American thing. At best, I'm criticizing myself for not being able to see what Americans see on Taylor :ladyhaha: 

Dennis

No she's more like BTS. She has a sizeable fanbase that will buy many copies of whatever she releases.

I feel like the two biggest drivers of her success are the consistency and size of her output. Whether or not you’re a fan, the durability and quality of her songwriting is not to be underestimated. She’s about as good as they come for pop/country artists, and is even just a straight up good writer - she has a natural talent for imagery and articulating her emotions that, when coupled with her work ethic, has allowed her to pump out a ton of music without sacrificing quality. Each album is also JUST different enough to keep people guessing - she doesn’t do hugely experimental things, but varies her style from country to pop to indie so that no one can ever claim she’s doing the same thing over again. 

I forget where I read this, but her albums have also been compared to worldbuilding. They just all kinda fit together, and once you get deeper into her discography (assuming you’re into the pop-indie stuff she makes), loyalty begets loyalty. It’s easy to become a fan, or at least enjoy her enough to come back for the next album. I think there’s trust she’s built that even if you don’t like the whole album, her knack for good songwriting will leave at least a couple of songs in there for you.
Mix that with her excellent marketing and you got yourself a star with substantial popularity in the long term. 

rawrimamonster

She maintains a polished, “America’s sweetheart” image w/out doing anything too shocking, scandalous, or sexual. 

Much like Dolly Parton she can get both Red State & Blue State fans on her side by maintaining a (mostly) neutral persona.  

Sepsami

Extremely wide appeal, she appeals to  everyone from young kids to adult fathers to LA Gays :enigma:

Glamourpuss

I think it's because of her songwriting. Her perspective on life and love is the same as most other girls and from a young age she wrote about love in a fairytale romantic way that has become more realistic over time as she's grown up. Most of us have grown up with her and experienced the same so we can relate.

I think we've all had a reputation era too. 

Blastertoyo
2 hours ago, enissa11 said:

she just knows how adapt perfectly and that's it, first the stereotypical 2000's relatable teenager for girls,  then the jump to the generic electropopstar at its peak when it was cool,

Your post is long so I didn’t quote the whole thing 

but I agree. Taylor’s brand is essentially “American white girl who writes songs” and that’s one of the reasons why it can adapt to all the things you listed.
She also hopped on the indie/hipster aesthetic trend that was arguably spearheaded by tumblr and Lana and “transitioned to a pop sound” but the only thing that really ever changed was her clothes, aesthetic and production on her songs and she made them even more repetitive than before.

to me, she was always a pop artist with a country aesthetic until she dropped that. What does it say that during 1989 she made a song about New York and was appointed the tourism ambassador for NYC when she’s literally “a country girl from Nashville” ?

People just accepted it when in reality, if it was actually such a wild transition for her and shows off her versatility, why is not as/ more jarring than Gaga picking up a guitar singing about how she was in love with cowboys ???

please enlighten me to death

Glamourpuss

I see a lot of comments about her being neutral and safe but most of us in real life are just average. We don't have an edge or any eccentricities and Taylor fits that persona. Not all pop personalities should be loud and in your face. Apart from the Reputation era I think Taylor is pretty much a normal girl and most people can relate to that. You can think she's basic but she's a very talented songwriter and deserves her success. 

basic songs (for the most part) and digestible for the locals

great writer, good vocalist and ok performer

big fan base who grew up with her

victim complex with Kanye, Katy, Scooter etc. has both been a blessing and a curse

avoiding politics has sadly helped her a lot 

Tinnitus15

Her songwriting…As she said in many interviews she likes to be the heartbreak singer,who sings about it…Her marketing team is on another level..Taylor deserves the success..She likes what’s she doing and goes all in during her eras..She and Dua deserves the recognition they get nowadays..No doubts they’re the hardest working artists rn(and I am not bringing Gaga in this one)

VasilisVas

I’ll probably get dragged, but I think a big part of it is she always plays victim and people feel sorry for her. Yes - I’m sure she’s talented and she’s part of the creative process of her music and works hard etc etc etc but there is certainly nothing groundbreaking about her music in my opinion 

NCgaga

She represents a very large demographic and her songs stay extremely relatable to that demographic. She is consistent, and changes her sound just enough to stay relevant. 

She is genuinely mores musically  talented then a lot of pop girls and writes most of her music. She is the All American girl pop star. 

• PartySick locked this topic

Archived