Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Why is Taylor Swift So Popular?

Chromatican

Featured Posts

Chromatican

After all these years Taylor is still able to sell anything with her name on it. She popped up in the same crop of pop girls that included Gaga, Kesha and Katy and yet is leagues above them today. The only comparable female star is Adele. I’m so baffled by this anomaly. What is it? It’s not just talent because Kacey Musgraves is just as talented in my opinion, as is Carly Rae Jepsen, who are the closest pop stars to Taylor in terms of sound and appeal in my eyes. 

Taylor was the first woman to win as many album of the year awards as she has and yet Gaga hasn’t? Beyonce hasn’t? Bjork hasn’t? Madonna hasn’t? Can someone explain to me why Taylor has such unprecedented appeal? 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kanye West :

jk 😂 well, she has few relatable songs when it comes to love, I always listen to Lover with a little nostalgia for a former love affair. + reputation is that kind of visual experience that’d make you scream she did that! Queen of marketing ❤️🌸

ARTPOP GAGA

1. The GP likes the type of music that she makes (like Adele and Ed): her music has very simple production (some feel it's bland) but her lyrics are very deep.

2. She began her career as a country singer. Country music resonates with American culture. Country fans are also known for buying physical albums and resisting streaming era 

3. She has a good marketing/promo teams. She's also a good businesswoman herself.

4. She writes her music (even if her song has co-writers, she's the main writer of most of her songs), so the GP considers her authentic instead of being a manufactured artist.

5. Her look is typical of a stereotyped American (blonde hair, blue eyes, 5''10 tall). If she were black, she would still be successful but definitely not as successful as she really is.

6. Luck. She's destined to be rich and successful. Life is when we cannot control things that happen to us.

her entire situation

started at ~16, country, developed fanbase

kanye west incident

fanbase grew with her, she went pop and became even more popular

media talks about her, so many boyfriends (who were very famous), katy drama, etc.

1989 takes over

kimye incident

etc etc etc

and she's so talented :vegas:  ofc + privilege

also she is super close with her fans, cultivated an amazing relationship. they're not catty and demanding so.. works great. Madison Montgomery on Scream Queens w her fans, a parody of it. She invites them to her house, etc.

She likes the drama...and people want drama, and im saying this not just literally..but also artistically. 

Mother of Puppies

A strong factor could be that she's very pretty and little girls love her and look up to her.

(for many years she wasn't even that famous or known in Europe)

Call me LADY MOP & I'll mop the floor with you 🧹

Chromatican
1 minute ago, ARTPOP GAGA said:

1. The GP likes the type of music that she makes (like Adele and Ed): her music has very simple production (some feel it's bland) but her lyrics are very deep.

2. She began her career as a country singer. Country music resonates with American culture. Country fans are also known for buying physical albums and resisting streaming era 

3. She has a good marketing/promo teams. She's also a good businesswoman herself.

4. She writes her music (even if her song has co-writers, she's the main writer of most of her songs), so the GP considers her authentic instead of being a manufactured artist.

5. Her look is typical of a stereotyped American (blonde hair, blue eyes, 5''10 tall). If she were black, she would still be successful but definitely not as successful as she really is.

6. Luck. She's destined to be rich and successful. Life is when we cannot control things that happen to us.

This is a pretty good summation. I guess I just don’t understand why other people in that lane…Kacey Musgraves, Carrie Underwood, Carly Rae Jepsen aren’t even within earshot of Taylor’s massive success and fanbase or commercial power. Of course she’s a good businesswoman but every musical artist nowadays has a team around them marketing them so it’s not like Taylor is unique to be selling double, triple, quadruple, or more what similar acts are selling. 

SevenWonder

I posted something like this in the Fearless thread. She really defies logic. Unlike Adele (the only MPG who sells more), she releases every other week. Which you would think would hurt her. Nope.  

I keep thinking the GP will grow tired of her. Nope.

Tbh, she's not all that interesting, though I like her a lot. That seems to help her, not hurt. 

She just keeps getting that gold. 

Chromatican
3 minutes ago, SevenWonder said:

I posted something like this in the Fearless thread. She really defies logic. Unlike Adele (the only MPG who sells more), she releases every other week. Which you would think would hurt her. Nope.  

I keep thinking the GP will grow tired of her. Nope.

Tbh, she's not all that interesting, though I like her a lot. That seems to help her, not hurt. 

She just keeps getting that gold. 

Honestly I’m shocked her re-recordings are selling like this. Like what is so interesting about re-recordings? I think a big factor is that she is generally a modest singer and is family friendly for the most part which is why she appeals to the Americana audience as well as general pop listeners and even has some indie credibility. Drama could be a factor, but Britney had buckets of drama and couldn’t maintain the longevity Taylor has, but that could be due to the conservatorship and Britney’s more adult image.

HermioneT

I always looked down on her or people liking her music. Until I made the effort to listen to her music (+ improving my English in the same year, so I could understand the lyrics) - since then I haven't stopped listening. Her music is just easy to listen to, and in the same time not shallow. Plus, I think the lyrics are relatable to a quite a wider range of people than just white girls.

Also she's such a smart artist concerning her marketing and business moves (maybe even including her private life) and her work ethics are probably unmatched. 

The combination of all this with great starting conditions (privileged upbringing, massive support of her parents + her country roots) put her miles before anyone else and she's working hard to keep that distance:vegas:

She / hers

SevenWonder
1 minute ago, Chromatican said:

Honestly I’m shocked her re-recordings are selling like this. Like what is so interesting about re-recordings? I think a big factor is that she is generally a modest singer and is family friendly for the most part which is why she appeals to the Americana audience as well as general pop listeners and even has some indie credibility. Drama could be a factor, but Britney had buckets of drama and couldn’t maintain the longevity Taylor has, but that could be due to the conservatorship and Britney’s more adult image.

Agreed about how shocking it is that her rereleases are selling better than everyone else's new stuff. It's just bizarre. 

24 minutes ago, Chromatican said:

After all these years Taylor is still able to sell anything with her name on it. She popped up in the same crop of pop girls that included Gaga, Kesha and Katy and yet is leagues above them today. The only comparable female star is Adele. I’m so baffled by this anomaly. What is it? It’s not just talent because Kacey Musgraves is just as talented in my opinion, as is Carly Rae Jepsen, who are the closest pop stars to Taylor in terms of sound and appeal in my eyes. 

Taylor was the first woman to win as many album of the year awards as she has and yet Gaga hasn’t? Beyonce hasn’t? Bjork hasn’t? Madonna hasn’t? Can someone explain to me why Taylor has such unprecedented appeal? 

She is more relatable then Beyonce, Gaga, Madonna and of course Bjork. Her songwriting is based on being blindly honest, so everybody can feel portraited in her music. Same happens with Adele or Olivia Rodrigo.

Actually I wish Gaga sings more relatable songs.

HIM820
2 minutes ago, Chromatican said:

I think you might be thinking about Taylor’s career inversely. She started out in country which does have a good sized fan base in America (Fearless, Red and her singles did great obviously), but being a specific genre artist is hard. So by her 5th album she is already years into her career and it will be one of her biggest successes. Most of the artists we are comparing had their huge insane success in their first two or three albums.

Also there were artists in the 1950-70s who released constantly and still charted and sold well. They just became an American mainstay and I think Taylor has that modern market covered and obviously to a whole new level it seems. Lana is somewhat like that as well even though sales wise to a lesser degree. 

Wet Fire

A lot of reasons: she markets her private and professional life really well, also the "I was the victim but not any more, I'm here for blood" image to an extent. Some of her albums have really good lyrics, and they make up for the rest of her albums which have trashy ones. Her music is relatable, not difficult to get into but that doesn't mean it's bad or substandard. A couple of her slbums are bland. But the rest is super good. The bottom line is that she's not polarizing and it's trendy and fashionable to listen to her music. 

• PartySick locked this topic

Archived