💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Biggest cultural peak of all time by a female artist

ARTPOP GAGA

Biggest cultural peak of all time by a female artist?  

309 members have voted

1. 1. Biggest cultural peak of all time by a female artist?

• Britney Spears 1998-2004
    • Britney Spears 2007-2009
    • Xtina 1999-2003
    • Madonna 1984-1990
    • Taylor Swift 2015
    • Lady Gaga 2009-2011
    • Miley Cyrus 2013
    • Katy Perry 2010-2012
    • Hilary Duff 2003-2005
    • P!nk 2001

Featured Posts

KURUSHITOVSKA

I mean... Madonna was even banned by THE POPE, well, at least they tried. That is cultural impact. No one will ever top her. Period. And she got there with no Twitter, no Instagram and not even streaming services. People had to go to a store and buy her records.

¿Qué currículum tiene ésta tarántula?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TEANUS

Madonna and MJ ruled conversation in the industry together from ‘84 to the early 90s

Gaga, for the ‘weird’ factor, and Britney’s tabloid coverage are the only ones who have gotten anywhere close to Madge in terms of cultural importance IMO

British social ladies with upturned pinkies, glasses clinking // xoxoTEANUS

19 hours ago, KORG said:

This isn't about impact in America.

Outside of the US not one person has heard of Selena, Donna summer had a couple of hits, Whitney did that one huge cover then had a few absolute 80s bangers, Janet had 0.5 songs but is only known for being MJs sister and quite unproblematic. She didn't even get a headline slot at Glastonbury.

Stats over skin, thank you.

Cultural impact is more than just knowing a name. It is the way in which artistry impacts society, which includes music, fashion, etc... it's the way ideas begin and filter out into pop culture. They don't always start and end with the most recognizable names. A lot of what we consider iconic or recognizable in the pop sphere has its roots in niche subcultures. Clearly, the artist with the most cultural impact is without a doubt Madonna based on this list and if we are looking at this from a pop lens. 

By the way, you can't say a single person outside of the US hasn't heard of Selena. That's simply naive. Research, thank you.

4 minutes ago, LG666 said:

Cultural impact is more than just knowing a name. It is the way in which artistry impacts society, which includes music, fashion, etc... it's the way ideas begin and filter out into pop culture. They don't always start and end with the most recognizable names. A lot of what we consider iconic or recognizable in the pop sphere has its roots in niche subcultures. Clearly, the artist with the most cultural impact is without a doubt Madonna based on this list and if we are looking at this from a pop lens. 

By the way, you can't say a single person outside of the US hasn't heard of Selena. That's simply naive. Research, thank you.

are guys effin joking right? i love Selena seriously but even Miley, Ariana and Camila have bigger peaks. The closest Selena was to being a pop force was Love You Like A Love Song and Good For You :triggered:

Aga Gydal

The only answer is Madonna, and given how fragmented music consumption is now, there will never be someone who hit the zeitgeist like her 

KURUSHITOVSKA
1 hour ago, dojo said:

are guys effin joking right? i love Selena seriously but even Miley, Ariana and Camila have bigger peaks. The closest Selena was to being a pop force was Love You Like A Love Song and Good For You :triggered:

You know they are not talking about Selena GOMEZ right? :triggered:

¿Qué currículum tiene ésta tarántula?

And BTW, Janet Jackson 1989 - 1995 should 100% be on this list.  Her star power was pretty major - more than Madge.  

JusKeepBreathin

Madonna has like three cultural peaks then tho.

But 1984 through 2005 was Madonna's cultural peak.a 21 year old peak. Amazing 

If we include Everybody, Burning Up and Holiday then 1982. 

But starting with Like a Virgin and ending with Confessions on a Dance Floor. 

However I do like Rebel Heart and Madame X a lot. 

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

JusKeepBreathin
14 minutes ago, MACATL said:

And BTW, Janet Jackson 1989 - 1995 should 100% be on this list.  Her star power was pretty major - more than Madge.  

Janet from 1987 - 2001 What Have You Done For Me through All For You.  Were all bops.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Loyalty

The fact that Hillary Duff is there yet Whitney Houston is missing from this list… lol. 

1 hour ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

Madonna has like three cultural peaks then tho.

But 1984 through 2005 was Madonna's cultural peak.a 21 year old peak. Amazing 

If we include Everybody, Burning Up and Holiday then 1982. 

But starting with Like a Virgin and ending with Confessions on a Dance Floor. 

However I do like Rebel Heart and Madame X a lot. 

I would say the real impact ended with Music.  Confessions was biggest in gay circles but not for general public.  Madonna’s biggest peaks were 1984 - 1990 then 1997 - 2001.  Everything else was strictly fan based.  

1 hour ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

Janet from 1987 - 2001 What Have You Done For Me through All For You.  Were all bops.

Totally, but editing it down to true mass impact, I believe that started with Rhythm Nation.  Velvet Rope era was was big too I guess thanks to Together Again, then Doesn’t Really Matter bridged her to All For You nicely.  

Sofianer
16 minutes ago, MACATL said:

I would say the real impact ended with Music.  Confessions was biggest in gay circles but not for general public.  Madonna’s biggest peaks were 1984 - 1990 then 1997 - 2001.  Everything else was strictly fan based.  

Hung Up was a huge worldwide hit in late 2005 - 2006, it peaked the charts of 41 countries which made it earn a place in the Guinness Book of World Records

Archived