💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Biggest cultural peak of all time by a female artist

ARTPOP GAGA

Biggest cultural peak of all time by a female artist?  

309 members have voted

1. 1. Biggest cultural peak of all time by a female artist?

• Britney Spears 1998-2004
    • Britney Spears 2007-2009
    • Xtina 1999-2003
    • Madonna 1984-1990
    • Taylor Swift 2015
    • Lady Gaga 2009-2011
    • Miley Cyrus 2013
    • Katy Perry 2010-2012
    • Hilary Duff 2003-2005
    • P!nk 2001

Featured Posts

JusKeepBreathin
5 hours ago, MACATL said:

I would say the real impact ended with Music.  Confessions was biggest in gay circles but not for general public.  Madonna’s biggest peaks were 1984 - 1990 then 1997 - 2001.  Everything else was strictly fan based.  

We'll agree to disagree on Confessions. 10 million albums is sold in 2005-2006 which is the middle of the iTunes digital single era is not a fanbase album. Maybe in the US it was heavily driven by gays, and that's a big maybe,  but worldwide it was a huge GP album. Also it was released Nov 15 or 16 in 2005 and was still the 6th best selling album of the year despite it's completion selling for most of the 2005 year. 

Screenshot-20211005-080734.png

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gaga did indeed have a huge cultural impact, and I much prefer her as a singer/performer/artist .... but ...  it's Madonna.

Gaga and Britney are in the conversation, but it IS Madonna.

TimisaMonster

Bad Romance and Born This Way literally changed the world...:legend:

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

3 hours ago, MOT said:

Gaga did indeed have a huge cultural impact, and I much prefer her as a singer/performer/artist .... but ...  it's Madonna.

Agree. But I can understand how someone who wasnt old enough to experience the Madonna period wouldn't agree. You had to be there to realize just what a cultural impact she had for about two decades (I know she has been in the spotlight longer, but IMO her greatest cultural impact period was mid 80s to late 90s/early 2000s). Forget social media which gives artists the ability to make a different and perhaps stronger impact if properly utilized. Madonna had a vision of what she knew would get the mass numbers to pay attention, she went for it and the rest was history: household name across the globe and so many fans and other artists influenced by her. I am not even a huge Madonna fan (well, I like her a lot but not a stan) so I'm not saying she was the only one possible of accomplishing this. She just happened to try it at the right time.

7 hours ago, MOT said:

3 hours ago, beli8 said:

Agree. But I can understand how someone who wasnt old enough to experience the Madonna period wouldn't agree. You had to be there to realize just what a cultural impact she had for about two decades (I know she has been in the spotlight longer, but IMO her greatest cultural impact period was mid 80s to late 90s/early 2000s). Forget social media which gives artists the ability to make a different and perhaps stronger impact if properly utilized. Madonna had a vision of what she knew would get the mass numbers to pay attention, she went for it and the rest was history: household name across the globe and so many fans and other artists influenced by her. I am not even a huge Madonna fan (well, I like her a lot but not a stan) so I'm not saying she was the only one possible of accomplishing this. She just happened to try it at the right time.

Yep. If you weren't around at the time, and most people on here weren't, then it is difficult to appreciate just how big Madonna was in her early years. Gaga, Britney, pretty much every female artist since then has been operating in the space created by Madonna's bulldozer. The Beatles and Elvis would probably get the nod as the two biggest acts in the history of popular music. Madonna is jostling for the number three spot.

12 hours ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

We'll agree to disagree on Confessions. 10 million albums is sold in 2005-2006 which is the middle of the iTunes digital single era is not a fanbase album. Maybe in the US it was heavily driven by gays, and that's a big maybe,  but worldwide it was a huge GP album. Also it was released Nov 15 or 16 in 2005 and was still the 6th best selling album of the year despite it's completion selling for most of the 2005 year. 

Screenshot-20211005-080734.png

Ask a non fan what their favorite song from Madonna is off Confessions.  They’ll look at you in bewilderment.  Then ask them about their favorite late 80’s Madonna - they’ll know several, and many are their favorite songs of all time from a pop artist.  

Hades

No one comes close to Madonna's peak. Not even Britney/Gaga. 

You just can't realise her power. 

3 minutes ago, Hades said:

No one comes close to Madonna's peak. Not even Britney/Gaga. 

You just can't realise her power. 

Dua with Levitating alone is outpeaking legends already :bradley:

NCgaga
On 10/4/2021 at 4:34 AM, salty like sodium said:

The fact someone could make a poll like this and not even think to include Mariah (1990-2001), the only artist in history to snag at least one #1 song for 11 consecutive years, has 19 #1 hits, two of the longest-running #1 hits in history, and broken so many more records due to having the longest cultural peak of them all ... :messga:

EDIT: Not to mention the fact that practically all her singles between 1990 and 2001 were top 5 hits :huntyga: Like no one else could ever even.

I think it’s about Cultural impact and not so much success. Mariah is very successful- up there with Madonna- but she didn’t have a cultural impact like Madonna, Gaga, Beyonce or Britney. Same with Celine. Celine being the least problematic diva of all time, has made her very successful but not so much an Influence on culture. 

androiduser
40 minutes ago, MACATL said:

Ask a non fan what their favorite song from Madonna is off Confessions.  They’ll look at you in bewilderment.  Then ask them about their favorite late 80’s Madonna - they’ll know several, and many are their favorite songs of all time from a pop artist.  

I think you are biased. You are overestimating Janet success and minimizing Madonna's. Hung Up was one of the biggest hits of Madonna's career and one of the biggest hits of the year, even decade.

Compare the Hung Up chart data to any Janet song, and the difference is immense.

"bewilderment" , Jesus Christ!

androiduser

Madonna is THE most successful and culturally influential female artist in pop history.

NCgaga

There is only one answer. It’s Madonna. Madonna perfected controversy with titillating and pissing off thE GP, while simultaneously being an idol for rebel girls and gays. And she did it for decades, while also having major success.  There are other females that have had major Cultural influences: 

Cher: the first major gay icon. Major Tv and movie success. 

Dolly: the first openly sexy female country singer(also the queen of country) 

Aretha: brought gospel culture to pop music. 

GLoria Estefan: first major Latin American female popstar crossover. 

Britney- first virginal to problematic popstar. We have seen her rock the world with her performances and we have watched her hit rock bottom and this is still going on after 20 years. 

Gaga: changed the whole sound of music in 2008 with every pop act following suit for years later with electro dance. Has had the most success and recognition as an artist not only as a musician but actress as well with lots of acclaim. 

Honorable mentions: 

Beyonce, Janet, Alanis Morisette, Shania Twain, Pink, Xtina, Nicki and Miley. 

StrawberryBlond

The answer has to be Madonna, if nothing else for the fact that she went through her peak in the pre-digital age. All celebrities were just bigger back then. Their music sold better because there was no way of listening to it for free or trying before you buy. You could only find out about them through reading physical copies of magazines that you had to pay for. News didn't come in within seconds of it breaking and 24/7 news wasn't a thing. This all meant that attention spans were much better and people were captivated any time they got the chance to witness a famous singer in some form so they held them in much bigger reverence than we do now. And then add to that that the things she was doing were genuinely shocking and groundbreaking. You simply can't compare the cultural impact of celebrities now to the ones back then. Celebrities of today become irrelevant so fast as choice is so vast and everything groundbreaking has been done so we're all jaded. Britney and Gaga would be close runner-ups but if they'd been around in the 80's, they'd have been even bigger because the world just consumed art differently back then.

NCgaga
43 minutes ago, MACATL said:

Janet is amazing and I own a lot of her catalog, especially being in my 30s. But she is not on the level of Madonna. A non fan of Janet would have issues naming one Janet song from any era, but could name at least one or even a couple Madonna songs. 

Economy

Absolute peak even my dad thinks its Gaga tbh. She was literally #1 in every possible category at the time even next to male artists too:

- most hit singles

- most album sales

- most social media buzz (and most followed)

- most mainstream media buzz as well

- most youtube views

- most awards

- biggest female tours

She managed to dominate every possible category. Britney didnt do this, Mariah didnt do this,  i think even Madonna maybe didnt do this... modern girls Rihanna, Katy Perry and Adele certainly didnt do this. They were #1 in some categories but not the biggest in everything simulatneously

Gaga is not even close to the biggest female career of all time commercial or impact but biggest peak zoomed in a 2 year period i feel shes a genuine contendor, she was literally everywhere

Even Ellen I remember commented "the rate of your success, I dont know that weve seen anything like this" and she literally saw so many stars come and go

Archived