• Xtina - Bionic
    • Katy Perry - Witness
    • Katy Perry - Smile
    • Mariah Carey - Caution
    • Nicki Minaj - Queen
    • Madonna - Madame X

Featured Posts

Teletubby

I forgot about Nicole Scherzinger, when Big Fat Lie flopped she was dropped by RCA Records :bear:
She was judge in X Factor and sold less than one of the contestants in UK. if I remember correctly she sold less than 5,000 copies.

I had a hole in the pocket of my favourite coat And my love for @Juanlittlem dropped into the lining

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted Smile because Katy's downfall is unbelievable. Harleys in Hawaii has been going viral lately though out of nowhere so she might get another chance. 🥺

Liberation was expected to tank. No surprise. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Monster7

You reminded me that Lotus and Liberation are a thing:bradley: I voted for Liberation though cause the only song I know from that one is Accelerate and well...:awkney:

StrawberryBlond

I immediately always think of Lotus when this question is posed. People always go on about how Bionic was the big flop but Lotus did worse and very few people other than her superfans know it even exists, so isn't that the bigger flop really? And I know Liberation sold even worse and didn't even get so much as a top 40 hit but it was better received by critics and it was the first album that she was able to tour with in years, so I don't think it was that big of a letdown at the end of the day. Lotus is what does it for me because it is her worst album in my eyes, just an attempt to be generic in order to chart and it backfired. I'm glad that after it didn't give her a comeback, her label stopped focusing on getting her to chase hits and just make the music she wanted because Liberation was a better return to form, her best album since Back To Basics. What makes an album a true flop is when no one really likes it, so even if her albums keep on performing worse, as long as they're well-liked, it isn't as big a disappointment to me.

I really don't think that the likes of Madonna and Mariah should be considered, though. They're legends and when that's the case, it doesn't matter how you do on the charts anymore and these are albums released after decades of fame, they obviously won't sell millions. You can only truly flop when you're still in your prime years, which are maybe about the first 15 years or so of your career.

I guess everyone just forgot about the colossal flop that was Nelly Furtado's Spirit Indestructible :laughga:

Sold like less than 10K in the first week, and she was HUGE in the late 2000s.

ARTPOP GAGA
8 hours ago, MadreMonster said:

If we adjust it based on record sales, Smile probably did similar to Liberation. CDs/digital sales have plummeted.

But at least Liberation had Your Body. But idk how it actually charted - it seemed like a hit at the time.

Your Body is the lead single of Lotus, which peaked at #34 in America and #10 in Canada (it was a moderate hit in Canada). You mixed up.

ARTPOP GAGA
1 hour ago, LaLuna said:

I guess everyone just forgot about the colossal flop that was Nelly Furtado's Spirit Indestructible :laughga:

Sold like less than 10K in the first week, and she was HUGE in the late 2000s.

6k first week actually.

I chose Queen by Nicky.

Because this happened very early on in her career with basically her second full album.

Mariah is unfair to be in the list with Caution. Glitter should have been in its place. Mariah, Christina, Britney shouldn’t be expected to be charting high every time.

Same for Madonna.

From the above 3 legacy Divas I would say Christina had the worst luck as at least Mimi had a re-peak with Emancipation and going into EMC2. Plus the Christmas album which is always charting. 

SevenWonder

To me it's Smile. Xtina's albums are sort of low hanging fruit, imo. Christina's peak was no where near Katy's peak, by any metic. And I'm older than most on here and very much remember that era.

Katy was on par (even bigger) with Gaga, Taylor, Adele, Rihanna and Bey. To see her sorta become irrelevant overnight (seemingly) was and is weird. Maybe because it happened to her first out of her peer group?

Not saying Smile was the least successful on the list. That's clearly Xtina. But Katy has much higher expectations. At least in my eyes.

Madonna and Mariah shouldn't be on the list. That's silly.

M i K E Y
16 hours ago, SHALLOW said:

Witness wasn't really that bad imo, at least not here in Italy. The singles were constatly playing on radio

Same here in Germany. No day where CTTR or Bon Appetit wouldn’t be played 

Bradley

People called ARTPOP a flop but honestly that was like one of her biggest eras if you look at it now.

Joanne commercially is not as successful, but Joanne was the more acclaimed era. Chromatica is her most acclaimed album on Metacritic but it also didn't sell as much as ARTPOP did.

Archived