• Katy Perry - Smile
    • Mariah Carey - Caution
    • Nicki Minaj - Queen
    • Madonna - Madame X

Featured Posts

ARTPOP GAGA
23 minutes ago, FameMonster01 said:

Weird how you didn't add Joanne or ARTPOP on here

Both albums have a top 5 hit single and sold quite well compared to other artists who can only dream of Gaga's success.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
papergangster
31 minutes ago, FameMonster01 said:

Weird how you didn't add Joanne or ARTPOP on here

Why would it be added, they’re not flops. 

Chose Smile not expecting it to be most voted but glad the majority agrees. Here’s my take on it, I’m gonna consider something the biggest flop if it meets these 4 criteria 

1-Did poorly commercially (sales/charts)

2-Had no cultural impact 

3-Was mediocre sonically and/or lyrically 

4-Did much worse than expected 

I will start with Christina. Bionic is freakin Iconic, the album is seriously so good. This was one of those moments where I truly agree, it was ahead of its time and ngl, this was during Gaga’s peak. This album had no room to breathe in the pop scene. Lotus to me was her first true underperformance but its lead is such a masterpiece, Your Body is a bop to this day imo. So obviously we expected Liberation to underperform, given how her previous 2 albums performed. This refers to my #4 criteria. 

Britney’s Britney Jean was probs my second choice for “biggest flop”. Femme Fatale had 3 top 10 hits, there was no sign of Britney’s decline. However an album executively produced by Will.I.am was bound to perform miserably. The real saving grace of this album is Work Bitch, that song definitely had an impact and is a club anthem to date. Glory was far from being sonically mediocre, in fact many consider it her best in a while. The album flopping was merely due to a lack of interest in Britney at the time. 

Madonna doesn’t have the same appeal as some of the more recent artists have on younger generations. No matter how good of an album she makes nowadays, it just is bound to underperform unfortunately. So I can’t consider Madame X to be the biggest flop. To a similar extent, I can say the same thing about Mariah’s Caution. Besides her album before Caution underperformed as well. No one was expecting these albums to perform well realistically. 

Nicki’s Queen has some highlights if I’m being honest. Also Chun-Li was a cute moment. It definitely marked the decline of Nicki though. We expected it to do better tbh. Would have been my 3rd pick for “biggest flop”. 

This leaves us with Katy’s records. After the highs of Teenage Dream and Prism. One can say that a lot was expected from Witness. Its lead single “Chained to the Rhythm” went to become a hit, however nothing followed. This was a major decline for Katy Perry, especially how she was perceived as a commercial monster on the charts. The album was also mediocre expect for a few songs. Smile, on the other hand did not redeem Katy from her decline, something Gaga was able to do post AP. In fact, the album has nothing going for it. Not a single salvageable  moment. By far the most mediocre album among the poll choices and It pains me to say it as I truly love Katy. If only she’d go for something more mature that showcases her vocals and lyrics. There’s nothing wrong with fun pop music but when you’ve done it 5 albums in a row with a decline in quality, not many will care. 

Sorry for the long post, I was bored :bon:

Putang Ina Mo

As much as I love Katy, it's definitely Witness. It flopped so hard, she haven't even bounced back.

my username says it all 🇵🇭

sillynate
24 minutes ago, ARTPOP GAGA said:

Both albums have a top 5 hit single and sold quite well compared to other artists who can only dream of Gaga's success.

Witness falls in that category too :bradley:

I feel like Katy is a little different from the rest of these queens because she was more so canceled than conventionally flopped. People have been very nasty towards Katy for no real reasons that I can understand. I get that she hasn't grown or evolved that much over the years (even tho HIH is a bop), but I've never seen someone fall so far, so hard. I feel like "Chained to the Rhythm" was her attempt at growth, and honestly it really broke her, but I f*cking love that song and "Bon Appétit" was great too. But community/tribalism comes with ostracism, always needing a target to cancel and she fell victim. All subjective thoughts and personal opinions of course.

ARTPOP GAGA
55 minutes ago, BrownEyes08 said:

The Art Of Starting Over

yes. that era was a massive flop. I don't even remember it.

Ororo Munroe
40 minutes ago, huttont said:

also gave some pretty cool performances

people here were dragging her performances of Daisies, but I loved them. 

I was thinkin' 'bout making a comeback, back to me

ARTPOP GAGA
2 minutes ago, calpky said:

I feel like Katy is a little different from the rest of these queens because she was more so canceled than conventionally flopped. People have been very nasty towards Katy for no real reasons that I can understand. I get that she hasn't grown or evolved that much over the years (even tho HIH is a bop), but I've never seen someone fall so far, so hard. I feel like "Chained to the Rhythm" was her attempt at growth, and honestly it really broke her, but I f*cking love that song and "Bon Appétit" was great too. But community/tribalism comes with ostracism, always needing a target to cancel and she fell victim. All subjective thoughts and personal opinions of course.

this post !! Katy was kinda blacklisted. Just like Janet was blacklisted after Super Bowl and Madonna was blacklisted by US radio during/after American Life era. 

ARTPOP GAGA
10 minutes ago, sillynate said:

Witness falls in that category too :bradley:

In terms of single, kinda. But in terms of album sales, ARTPOP and Joanne outsold Witness and Smile. 

Speak Easy
1 hour ago, Kimmo said:

Not this coming from “ARTPOP GAGA”…

D3618564-4-C16-4-C09-9068-2-B3-BD5-B299-

ARTPOP still went #1, spawned a Top 5 that stayed in the Top 10 for 19 weeks, spawned a minor hit DWUW that got great radio play, another Top 10 with Dope, and was certified Platinum. 

By Gaga's standard's it was a low performer, but there are "main pop girls" now that don't chart that well with their biggest albums. Ie: Demi Lovato, who has never even had a Top 5 on the BB Hot 100. 

ARTPOP GAGA
1 hour ago, Mister Gaga said:

Lotus, by Xtina. Smile had NRO, which is a moderate hit, and HiH, which is a cult classic. Lotus has nothing, 0 hits, 0 acclaim...it's not even an iconic flop ala Bionic/Witness

not to mention Lotus has very low streams, it isn't a cult classic like Bionic.

ARTPOP GAGA
1 minute ago, Anderson123 said:

Everyone here making fun of Christina and Katy but the real flop was Nicki's Queen.

Nene Leakes GIF

It was definitely a flop according to what Nicki herself expected. Remember her meltdown on Twitter when she was blocked from #1 debut?  That being said, it's a good rap album that was overshadowed by Cardi B being the it girl of rap that year.

Archived