💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Johnny Depp: "no one is safe" in cancel culture

Queen Bitch

Featured Posts

Queen Bitch

Johnny Depp took aim at cancel culture and described it as being “so far out of hand,” as he discussed his fall from grace in Hollywood during an appearance at the San Sebastian Film Festival.

“It’s a complex situation, because it can be seen as an event in history that lasted for however long it lasted for, this cancel culture, or this instant rush to judgement based on essentially what amounts to polluted air that’s exhaled,” Depp told the press contingent at the Spanish festival.

The Hollywood actor was speaking in the wake of a libel case against the British tabloid The Sun, which characterized Deep as a “wife-beater” as it related to the treatment of ex-wife Amber Heard. He lost that court case and subsequently did not appear in Warner Bros.’ Fantastic Beasts franchise shoot.

“Do I feel safe myself? Yea, I do. Because it’s important when you’re faced with something as mind-bogglingly bewildering, that sort of things hits you from many angles,” Depp continued. But the actor said cancel culture as a movement is “so far out of hand now that I can promise you that no one is safe. Not one of you. No one out that door. No one is safe, as long as someone is willing to say one sentence.”

San Sebastian honored Depp with its Donostia Award, a lifetime achievement honor that recognizes “outstanding contributions to the film world.” Despite that attention from the European festival, Depp argued that one accusation can lead to career ruin, to “no more ground, the carpet has been pulled. It’s not just me that this has happened to. It’s happened to a lot of people.”

He added, “Nobody out there, we don’t know what anyone is thinking at any moment. But I believe that no one is safe. But if you are armed with the truth, that’s all you need. It doesn’t matter if a judgement per se has taken some artistic license.”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/johnny-depp-cancel-culture-1235018678/

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
VoldeLorde2

cancel culture isn’t a thing. y’all just don’t want to see millionaires held accountable for their actions. 

though, what happened with johnny was shite. the whole thing’s a mess, quite frankly. 

RahrahWitch

Your actions have consequences. Call it cancel culture but If it comes out that you did something shitty then don't get mad when people don't want to support you. The texts to his friend saying he wanted to drown, burn then f**k amber's burnt corpse is enough for me to never want to see a movie he's in again.

Blastertoyo
1 hour ago, qoqo said:

He’s 100% right

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the recent wave of pop stars are all kids who had yet to or had freshly turned 18. 

they aren’t as large of a liability since they either haven’t made that many mistakes yet and/or aren’t able to be held accountable for said mistakes since they’re new adults 

:ohwell:

after all you can’t reasonably cancel someone who hasn’t or just turned 18 

please enlighten me to death

Big Reputation

Agree 100%. Cancel culture is one of the most toxic things these days 

When it’s dark outside you’re always the light

Supersonic

He's right about "nobody" being safe. Because cancelling usually follow down the logic of "multiple unverified accusations = proof".

That's why cancel culture disproportionally affects marginalized people more than it does people like Johnny Depp. If you're a black trans women influencer with 10k followers... you're gonna feel it harder. Johnny Depp is not an example of "Look what cancellation can do, regardless of your status." He might be a victim of some online cruelty (that honestly... may even be warrented considering what has actually transpired.) He has lost out on ONE single movie role, and now he's back to collecting awards along with a "Woe is me, i got cancelled." sob story for everybody to listen to.

He is proof that people of a certain status don't have to give a single damn about what is going on on social media, while the regular plebians to semi-successful people ACTUALLY can have their entire livlihood robbed from them because of a false accusation, somebody twisting your words or maybe just... putting your foot into your mouth once. Not to mention the social isolation that people have to endure when they're ousted from a community that they depend on for mental support. He's in a position where a social media sh*t storm is nothingh but chewing gum under his shoe, so it comes across as kinda... tacky and opportunistic to weaponize this "cancel culture" BS for his media comeback.

Debithius
39 minutes ago, VoldeLorde2 said:

cancel culture isn’t a thing. y’all just don’t want to see millionaires held accountable for their actions. 

though, what happened with johnny was shite. the whole thing’s a mess, quite frankly. 

I have to laugh :ladyhaha:

Economy
48 minutes ago, VoldeLorde2 said:

I disagree it goes way beyond that.

Theres times where "cancelling" someone is about accountability but more than half the times its bored twitter users with nothing better to do with their lives blowing things way out of proportion

If its not that serious leave it alone. Celebs are human too of course they arent gonna be perfect all the time. We dont have to nit pick everytime they fail to use the best wording in something or they did something without thinking, it happens. Not every molehill has to become a mountain

If its from 15 or 20 years ago... unless its somethng super serious like rape or murder I also see no reason to even bring it up now

I think our generation is still learning how to navigate in the online world. I just hope the next generation is more cautious about their actions, specifically online. We need to learn how to reduce our online footprint in order to not be surprised in the future with something written years ago. I know Depp's problem has nothing to do with a tweet misunderstood or whatever, but I feel like we all should start to educate ourselves and the next generation about leaving feelings and thoughts online. It can be a problem in the future in a way we are not ready to imagine now.  

CaliforniaDreamin
1 minute ago, DanielM said:

I think our generation is still learning how to navigate in the online world. I just hope the next generation is more cautious about their actions, specifically online. We need to learn how to reduce our online footprint in order to not be surprised in the future with something written years ago. I know Depp's problem has nothing to do with a tweet misunderstood or whatever, but I feel like we all should start to educate ourselves and the next generation about leaving feelings and thoughts online. It can be a problem in the future in a way we are not ready to imagine now.  

It also falls back into 5 seconds of fame, people see that finding past mistakes  on other celebrities can get them attention so they scrounge on them as hard as they can. I’m suprised cc hasn’t hit Gaga yet cause I can think of a few already 

I'd rather have a little bit of twitter overreach than silence on issues that are "cancel"-able.

Purr more, hiss less.

Archived