💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Hyperpop & Charli XCX

holy scheisse

Featured Posts

holy scheisse

If you have some minutes to spend, I found this video to be so interesting... the video details charli's career away from top40 pop to hyperpop and shows her impact on the genre. i found the graphics the creator made to depict the commonalities between Charli, Grimes, and Sky Ferreira at the beginning of the 2010's, as well as later on in the video when he shows the "pop ecosystem with Charli at the nucleus" to be v interesting, and just the timeline of her career in general.

The whole video is very informative especially for those who maybe liked DOC, but had never really been into the genre or known much about Charli or the other artists. Also it's unsurprising that 911 remix seems to be the most popular on the album given that it was with the hyperpop queen Charli herself! Also not me learning that Bloodpop produced on Charli's first album, never been knew.

It seems that the author got a lot of flack for this video due to people commenting that Sophie is more deservedly the creator of hyperpop.. What do y'all think?

***********I know the title of this video has been frustrating to many, so let me make it clear here: there is no hyperpop without SOPHIE. Whatever you want to call this community, it doesn't flourish to the extent it has without the foundations that SOPHIE built, both as a musician and symbol. And her impact on Charli XCX is essential to what she ended up accomplishing. SOPHIE's ultimate decentralization in this video--contrary to my original plan-- is tragic in retrospect, as I never got the opportunity to spotlight her the way she deserves. But I can't change the past. If you still plan to watch my project, I hope you at least get a glimpse into the world that she made possible. RIP SOPHIE, a true inspiration to all.*************** ------------------ the author of this video 

TheSlash

Is Charli the most well-known hyperpop artists? Absolutely

But saying that Charlie created that genre is just lazy research. The genre has been around longer and SOPHIE and A.G. Cook - who Charli's working with - paved the way for other artists.

Ew, David!

holy scheisse
1 minute ago, TheSlash said:

But saying that Charlie created that genre is just lazy research. The genre has been around longer and SOPHIE and A.G. Cook - who Charli's working with - paved the way for other artists.

Yeah in the video the guy mentions when "PC Music" was formed in 2013, but doesnt talk about Sophie/AG until they worked with Charli in 2015-16

I don't know much about how far back Sophie/AG go!

holy scheisse
Just now, Frybean said:

Honey where's the other videos he made? You should watch them!

Im about to change the topic of the thread awaay from the topic of his video because the video was more intersting to me in regards to charlis involvement in it, and im not personally asserting what he's asserting in that line:messga:

and nobodies gonna actually watch the video yall are just gonna tell me im wrong and call me honey when im not personally saying she started it !! lol

• holy scheisse changed the title to Hyperpop & Charli XCX
Blastertoyo
11 minutes ago, TheSlash said:

Exactly this 

like saying Gaga created electropop. 

Charli brought mainstream popularity to the genre and without her it would have stayed as an underground internet trend but she has never created anything new 

please enlighten me to death

Chesescake

Though I agree SOPHIE is the huge influence in hyperpop, her stan just make me uncomfortable. Like yeah she's big, but ignoring other part of EDM, J-pop music, hip-hop genre and call hyperpop artists SOPHIE copycats? Like where's those stuff?

4 minutes ago, holy scheisse said:

and nobodies gonna actually watch the video yall are just gonna tell me im wrong and call me honey when im not personally saying she started it !! lol

Thanks for letting me know I just wasting my energy I guess.

Stephen

Charli did more than just bring popularity to the genre. I think that’s a gross understatement. Yes, it wouldn’t exist without SOPHIE but I would argue it wouldn’t exist in its current state without Charli either. She married her very specific shouty, sexy, girl power, pseudo-rap style of songwriting to SOPHIE’s production. I think people often underestimate her influence on the genre. 

If Charli didn’t exist, yes hyperpop would still exist but it wouldn’t be the same. It’s hard to imagine because she was so crucial in the development / progression of it.

I’m gonna watch the video now :vegas:

holy scheisse
55 minutes ago, Frybean said:

honestly my point was NEVER to argue that charli xcx invented hyperpop i just mimicked the title of that youtube video as my thread title which honestly shouldve been titled something like "how charli xcx got into hyperpop" okay? i aint reading 11 pages

All that tumblr aesthetic period during 2012 - 2013 have feed hyperpop music. There was already a mix of pop elements with rave, futuristic, cyber, technologic, satanism, elements on internet and tumblr and cool kids made looks out of this but still in the fringe. There wasn't a clear name for this, seapunk, solarpunk, cyberpunk, futurefunk, vaporwave were some proto-names for this kind of mixed aesshtetic. 
Then explodes trap music and then Z generation beg for an emo revival and the shapes of hyperpop became more solid and here we are.
I still think dubstep and the bass music scene during 2011-2013 was the cradle of hyperpop because some artists already like to mix hardstyle, metal, trap, electro with pop music but SOPHIE and A.G Cook really crystallized that.
Here some of songs that could be hyperpop but were released before the birth of hyperpop

tomsches

I suggest the mods ban hyperpop related threads from ggd. Cause it feels like every other day someone makes a thread to show off their Knowledge about hyperpop and the all the comments tell them they’re  wrong and show off THEIR knowledge about hyperpop. 

It’s pretty simple, Charli had a big impact on the genre and helped broaden its horizons and popularity. But she obviously didn’t create the sound, what we know as “hyperpop” started with PC Music which was founded in 2013.

AG Cook, EASYFUN, Danny L Harle, Hannah Diamond, GFOTY. Those are the original PC Music members or at least the core of it, adding SOPHIE who had big influence on the sound, and even though she was never part of the PC collective she did have a close relationship with them (specifically AG). I would suggest listening to PC Music Vol 1 for anyone who wants to listen their early releases and the genre at its early stage.

Then with Charli it all got bigger, and the sound has diversified and changed with time, but always retaining core elements that identify it as what’s known as hyperpop or bubblegum bass or just PC music which is also used to denote the sound not just the label. It’s a very broad term, hyperpop, and I would like to say it’s not all the same 100 gecs/Dorian Electra cling clang abrasive stuff a lot of people think, it’s much more nuanced than that. 

Archived