💓 Official visual for Ashnikko's remix of "Plastic Doll" 💓

politics

Cali saves Gavin Newsom’s job

StarstruckIllusion

Featured Posts

Nickolas724

I knew we would win but I was still a bit nervous tbh. I’m so happy and relieved to not have to hear about another recall here in a long long time. We’ve been hearing about this recall for years already they had been planning it before covid and the only reason it qualified for the ballot was covid. Hopefully republicans get the hint that California is not for them not now or in any reality they make up. 

• Thanks 1

So this recall is costing about $200M-300M, some sources even say $400M. If he is recalled, the replacement would only be in office for a little over a year as re-elections would be November 2022. It’s comical how most times republicans are against affordable care and housing because “who do you think is gonna pay for it?” Yet, here they are wasting at least $200M for something that (most likely) won’t change anything. 

• Like 6
TimisaMonster

Disappointed but not surprised 

1 vs 50 candidates mostly Republican wasn't gonna result in a much different election result...

I voted against him for his hypocrisy and mismanagement of funds but it is what it is...

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!
  • Sad 2

I’m not surprised he wasn’t recalled, but I am looking forward to voting him out during the official election in November. California has been on the decline for the past decade and it isn’t getting better. I live in San Francisco and they’ve enacted a $950 law that essentially gives criminals the right to steal from stores without arrest as long as it’s under $950. This has made the city as absolute mess. My local target now has to close at 7 pm, because people keep stealing in the evening. Also I’ve seen more car break ins than I can count in the last 4 months. At this point it’s a cumulation of things that have gotten CA to this point, not just one person. However I don’t think anything will change until we have a new governor, and I’m hoping that someone good is able to step up in 2022.

edit: I don’t align myself with any political party, but I am angry that Democrats tried to turn this entire election into a “ Evil Republicans trying to take over California” thing. Most Democrats I know are tired of Newsom, and also want the state the improve with new governance. 

Edited by Siena
  • Shook 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Siena said:

I’m not surprised he wasn’t recalled, but I am looking forward to voting him out during the official election in November. California has been on the decline for the past decade and it isn’t getting better. I live in San Francisco and they’ve enacted a $950 law that essentially gives criminals the right to steal from stores without arrest as long as it’s under $950. This has made the city as absolute mess. My local target now has to close at 7 pm, because people keep stealing in the evening. Also I’ve seen more car break ins than I can count in the last 4 months. At this point it’s a cumulation of things that have gotten CA to this point, not just one person. However I don’t think anything will change until we have a new governor, and I’m hoping that someone good is able to step up in 2022.

edit: I don’t align myself with any political party, but I am angry that Democrats tried to turn this entire election into a “ Evil Republicans trying to take over California” thing. Most Democrats I know are tired of Newsom, and also want the state the improve with new governance. 

Corporations like Target are not going to go under because of a (proportionally) few people stealing from their stores. Obviously some are going to steal non-necessities but others will take things they need to survive. I’ve worked at target before and we had a couple of people experience housing insecurity that would take food, clothes, and hygiene products. The management just let them. I don’t think that specific part is as bad as you may think. 

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, efrs said:

Corporations like Target are not going to go under because of a (proportionally) few people stealing from their stores. Obviously some are going to steal non-necessities but others will take things they need to survive. I’ve worked at target before and we had a couple of people experience housing insecurity that would take food, clothes, and hygiene products. The management just let them. I don’t think that specific part is as bad as you may think. 

I understand what you’re saying, but the situation in San Francisco is completely different. It’s honestly hard to understand unless you live here. But people come into Target and Walgreens and trust me, it isn’t people taking necessities. They’re taking flat screen TVs and other electronics, and then driving off because legally they can’t be arrested. And it isn’t about these corporations having enough money that it doesn’t matter if people steal. The issue is that their is even a law that allows people to steal in the first place.

ItWasntLaauv

As much as Gavin gives me the ~ick~, he’s way better than the main Republican nominee that was running against him. Happy to still see him in, but I’m excited to hopefully vote him out for a better candidate during the next ACTUAL governor election :reductive::classy:. But we’ll see what happens and who’s running next! :yennefer:

Edited by ItWasntLaauv
11 hours ago, Siena said:

I understand what you’re saying, but the situation in San Francisco is completely different. It’s honestly hard to understand unless you live here. But people come into Target and Walgreens and trust me, it isn’t people taking necessities. They’re taking flat screen TVs and other electronics, and then driving off because legally they can’t be arrested. And it isn’t about these corporations having enough money that it doesn’t matter if people steal. The issue is that their is even a law that allows people to steal in the first place.

I get that it can be jarring to see but it’s really not hurting anyone, at least I hope they aren’t being violent about it! But every second of the day, the corporation steals from its workers anyways so, to me, it’s not something I see as immoral or wrong. What’s wrong and needs to be corrected, or punished, is how Target is able to exploit its workers by not paying them more. The workers are the ones actually pushing the products for people to buy. They’re the ones actually putting in the labor to make the company money and they don’t see their fair share. I see where you’re coming from though.

14 hours ago, Siena said:

I live in San Francisco and they’ve enacted a $950 law that essentially gives criminals the right to steal from stores without arrest as long as it’s under $950.

I read this, and thought "that can't possibly be right," so I looked it up. Here's what I found:

California's Proposition 47, which voters passed in 2014 and lowered criminal sentences for certain nonviolent crimes like shoplifting and check forgery, is being exploited by those who want to commit theft. The initiative set a threshold of $950 for shoplifting to be considered a misdemeanor, which doesn't prompt law enforcement to make an arrest, rather than a felony, which could incur harsh penalties like jail time. -- https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/after-san-francisco-shoplifting-video-goes-viral-officials-argue-thefts-n1273848

So:

- Shoplifting is still a crime (just not a felony). Essentially, the responsibility of enforcement (and the cost) is just shifted more to the store -- i.e., security guards. Which is kind of a normal thing. Of course, the stores would rather make the public pay that cost.

- The measure applies to all of California, not just San Francisco.

- It dates to 2014.

- Importantly, it was a ballot initiative, enacted directly by the voters, not by any politicians you might want to cast aspersions on. (Indeed, this is how California gets many strange laws.) And specifically, not by Gavin Newsom.

- Also according to that article, thefts in San Francisco are actually down 9% compared to last year. "The statistics are counter to the narrative."