Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
event

AOC at the Met Gala: "Tax the rich"

Werk

Featured Posts

littlepotter
7 hours ago, rojo said:

Hypocritical would be to say tax the rich but not say anything while attending an event for rich people. This is the opposite. She is consistently saying the same unapologetically

Like???? Literally??????? How are people not understanding that it takes huge balls to attend an event with rich people and have that message on your dress.

chaeri pls

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pennywise
33 minutes ago, littlepotter said:

Like???? Literally??????? How are people not understanding that it takes huge balls to attend an event with rich people and have that message on your dress.

I mean... I get it but this feels very "neoliberal performative anti-capitalism" -ish. She cannot really win with this one because it's alienating almost all demographics at once except for American neoliberals. The left will be like "bish why are you even there????", the right already hates her, and the center is basically the right with a sprinkle of civil rights (only when it fits their narrative tho) so, no we don't talk about them :bear: 

YOUR GOD IS NOT HERE MICHAEL NOR WILL HE EVER BE

littlepotter
12 minutes ago, Pennywise said:

I mean... I get it but this feels very "neoliberal performative anti-capitalism" -ish. She cannot really win with this one because it's alienating almost all demographics at once except for American neoliberals. The left will be like "bish why are you even there????", the right already hates her, and the center is basically the right with a sprinkle of civil rights (only when it fits their narrative tho) so, no we don't talk about them :bear: 

How would neoliberals like her message? Neoliberalism still espouses conservative economic policies so they sure would not like the rich to be taxed. Why would the left not want her to be there? Like how are leftist policies ever going to be espoused when leftists have this "higher than thou" attitude and think going to high profile events is beneath them and makes them a "class traitor". I'd much rather her being "performative" and in your face than the millions of leftists who only talk about it in their private twitter accounts and reddit boards. 

chaeri pls

Supersonic
36 minutes ago, Pennywise said:

Well... what you feel is wrong.

There's no such thing as "neoliberal performative anti-capitalism". Neoliberals LOVE capitalism, I'd argue they're the ones who are most alienated by messaging like this.

The political left has made an awful habit of cannibalizing themselves and started calling their neighboring ideological fractions "neoliberal" regardless of their actual political affiliation, because the mere association of being a filthy, happily exploitative capitalist feels like a deep-cutting personal attack to people whose entire being has been consumed by left-wing activism.

Accusations of being a "neoliberal" have become so plentiful, that the meaning of the word has become nothing but a meaningless pejorative. 

The problem here is really another: It's far-left slacktivism,  one that resentfully "critiques" and moans about the system and scoffs at anybody trying to employ reforms to solve actual problems. Because if you don't "tear it all down and build it new", nothing is ever enough. 

The dress might be ugly, but... it served it's purpose. It's in the headlines and there's a discussion thread about its messaging with almost 50 replies on this site alone. Sh*t like this does more to raise awareness/foster discussion about taxation than plain political campaigning in the context of re-election. 

Supersonic
8 hours ago, alsemanche said:

"Tax the rich but let me have a fancy ass dinner with them first ahah" :bear:

What's the alternative?

Tweet "Tax the rich!" from the basement of her mom's house, in total anonymity to a twitter bubble where no one disagrees? :bear: 

Wearing a dress that says "Tax the rich" IN FRONT of the rich, confronting the rich and possibly also seeking actual conflict with the rich that is present there while breaking bread together seems more effective.

But appearently left-wingers are no allowed to talk about politics with people that have not been approved by the Marxist-Leninist Council of good morals. :bear: 

Never mind, I give up even bothering :huntyga:

This thread is already too messy

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.

I hope she will not secluded inside the hall.  It will high school stuffs all over again if she does. :bradley:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ unknown.. despair.. a lost (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

RahrahWitch

Honestly, I like it.

Seeing her dress in a sea of rich people displaying their wealth and extravagance is eye opening. It's insane to think how hunger games it all is. 

11 hours ago, Cookie Tookie said:

Sweetie, you ARE the rich. Your pockets should be the first ones emptied. 

Sis if you think she's the rich people are talking about, you're very misguided. We're talking about billionaires. 

Purr more, hiss less.

I found this cringey ngl and a bit attention seeking while the liberals in the US which are so extreme with their thoughts they'll clap and praise and then she's happy with herself, why didnt she show up as Jeff Bezos with an astronaut outfit? Thats the problem, nothing interesting with these celebs at MET 

The front of the dress reminds me of a 1960's diner waittress dress, a work uniform of a low wage working class woman, like from Laverne and Shirley show. The writing on the back is her message. It's made in a fabric and length and no-shoulder style that make it a gown.  I find this dress to be authentic to AOC. I applaud her choice to make her statement given this chance.

Archived