💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Is Chromatica more relevant than ARTPOP?

Klonoa

Featured Posts

BARKDANGER

ARTPOP. The GP recognizes that albums name
granted it might be for ARTFLOP or Gaga’s so called flop era, but most of my non-stan Gaga listeners know that albums name. They know songs like Applause and Do What U Want. 

While Chromatica is my 3rd fav Gaga album, those listeners only know Rain On Me. Chromatica came out in the era of streaming and ARTPOP at the cusp of the beginning of it, so the GP only know Rain On Me. They couldn’t tell you what album it’s from. 

“I’m on the edge of glory
”

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anderson123

It’s a very open question, hard to understand what you mean by it. 

Love both albums but Chromatica is my second favorite after Born This Way and one year and a half later I still enjoy the songs so much, they sound fresh, clean and there’s something about the length of it that makes them perfect. l

ARTPOP is an album that I had to almost force myself to love but going back to it there’s so much going on, it’s messy because that’s what Gaga intended to do and they’re mostly EDM songs that to be honest don’t sound as dated as other hits from the early 2010’s. 

I think people going back to ARTPOP now and learning to appreciate it says something about it. Back in 2013 it was cool to “hate Gaga” so being harsh on it was a trendy thing to do. On the other hand, Chromatica comes after so many acclaimed eras like Cheek to Cheek, Joanne and A Star Is Born so the thirst for dance Gaga was huge. Time will tell and to each their own, some will enjoy either album more.

BlingNotTheMusic
3 hours ago, Blastertoyo said:

Rain On Me at least is “the song with Ariana”

Ha Ha Reaction GIF

BlingNotTheMusic

Which is more relevant? It's kind of a loaded question because it's relevant to whom? Cultural relevance? Billboard chart relevance? Music trend relevance? Concept relevance? Etc

At this time, I would say ARTPOP is more "relevant" as there would be no Chromatica without ARTPOP in the literal sense but also figuratively in that Gaga needed to embrace her artistry FULLY during the ARTPOP era to somewhat, swing the pendulum back a bit and create the more artistically less extreme and muted Chromatica. Chromatica actually lacks a lot of what I like about ARTPOP, and ARTPOP lacks what I like about Chromatica. I'll let you decifer what that means, but they go hand in hand. All in all one could infer that, Chromatica (pre DoC) needed more breathing room and experimentation, where as ARTPOP needed more cohesiveness and direction. 

Chromatica is very direct and easy to listen to, but at times, lacks substance and is too formulated (verse - chorus - verse - chorus - bridge....)

ARTPOP is somewhat aimless at times and needs a little reeling back. But it has a uniqueness to it more than any other Gaga record imo. Chromatica is not, what I would call, unique.

Dawn of Chromatica is an entirely different conversation :trollga:

Tyler1992

ARTPOP has been revisited by critics recently, and has been reviewed more favourably.

But, I’d say that Chromatica has the chance to be remembered very wel in the future.

Mister G
On 9/10/2021 at 8:20 PM, WheresMy911Alice said:

Which is more relevant? It's kind of a loaded question because it's relevant to whom? Cultural relevance? Billboard chart relevance? Music trend relevance? Concept relevance? Etc

At this time, I would say ARTPOP is more "relevant" as there would be no Chromatica without ARTPOP in the literal sense but also figuratively in that Gaga needed to embrace her artistry FULLY during the ARTPOP era to somewhat, swing the pendulum back a bit and create the more artistically less extreme and muted Chromatica. Chromatica actually lacks a lot of what I like about ARTPOP, and ARTPOP lacks what I like about Chromatica. I'll let you decifer what that means, but they go hand in hand. All in all one could infer that, Chromatica (pre DoC) needed more breathing room and experimentation, where as ARTPOP needed more cohesiveness and direction. 

Chromatica is very direct and easy to listen to, but at times, lacks substance and is too formulated (verse - chorus - verse - chorus - bridge....)

ARTPOP is somewhat aimless at times and needs a little reeling back. But it has a uniqueness to it more than any other Gaga record imo. Chromatica is not, what I would call, unique.

Dawn of Chromatica is an entirely different conversation :trollga:

ARTPOP & Chromatica are two sides of the same coin. They actually complete each other and come full circle for the ultimate experience. Why I appreciate both of them equally and think their relevance will be here for a while is that they speak to times where Gaga struggled with a serious topic. You can piece together her struggles with pain, feeling abandoned by people who were supposed to be there to support her, her mental health.

People complaining Chromatica was uneventful must live in Wonderland thinking there isn’t pandemic taking place.

21 minutes ago, Mister G said:

People complaining Chromatica was uneventful must live in Wonderland thinking there isn’t pandemic taking place.

I mean Chromatica did feel kind of uneventful because the pandemic was the focus of April of 2020 so- :triggered:

ARTPOP is still Lady Gaga's best album.

BlingNotTheMusic
2 hours ago, Mister G said:

ARTPOP & Chromatica are two sides of the same coin. They actually complete each other and come full circle for the ultimate experience. Why I appreciate both of them equally and think their relevance will be here for a while is that they speak to times where Gaga struggled with a serious topic. You can piece together her struggles with pain, feeling abandoned by people who were supposed to be there to support her, her mental health.

This is so true. Chromatica was like a more focused ARTPOP imo .

7 minutes ago, WheresMy911Alice said:

Chromatica was like a more focused ARTPOP imo .

Yeah but imo that made Chromatica feel like it lacked substance. I respect your opinion though!

On 9/11/2021 at 2:22 AM, Blastertoyo said:

I don’t think the GP can name any song from ARTPOP tbh 

Rain On Me at least is “the song with Ariana”

Applause is Gaga’s biggest radio hit in USA :huntyga:

Plastic Flower

ARTPOP is definitely more relevant today than how it was back in 2013. About Chromatica, it's too soon to tell. 

Drop it

15 minutes ago, Cookie Tookie said:

I still listen to ARTPOP in full, while I skip songs on Chromatica 

Same here! :)

9 minutes ago, Plastic Flower said:

ARTPOP is definitely more relevant today than how it was back in 2013. About Chromatica, it's too soon to tell. 

Definitely :golfclap:

Archived