55 members have voted

1. 1. Are you enjoying season ten?

Featured Posts

Just now, SlowLoris said:

Ahhhhh I see.  I mean,I see them as camp because of:

1) the cheese factor

2) the consistent, cliché meta-textual references to the 'genre' of horror

3) the trashiness and low-browed naivety

4) the exaggerated aesthetic of human life (specifically AMERICAN life)

5) Jessica Lange (and other gay icons)

I guess I don’t see Asylum and Freak Show specifically as not campy because they’re kind of factual to a certain degree in history. So, I don’t know honestly. :shrug:

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SlowLoris
3 minutes ago, Pikachu said:

I guess I don’t see Asylum and Freak Show specifically as not campy because they’re kind of factual to a certain degree in history. So, I don’t know honestly. :shrug:

Makes sense!  I guess to me those are camp because they're incredibly exaggerated versions of that history, making those events into almost caricatures of themselves.  

Like, yeah there were actual asylums and freak shows, but there weren't often armies of lab-created monster zombies being fed baskets of bread in the woods by nuns, German snuff film victim revenge plots, killer clowns or alien impregnation

1 minute ago, SlowLoris said:

Makes sense!  I guess to me those are camp because they're incredibly exaggerated versions of that history, making those events into almost caricatures of themselves.  

Like, yeah there were actual asylums and freak shows, but there weren't often armies of lab-created monster zombies being fed baskets of bread in the woods by nuns, German snuff film victim revenge plots, killer clowns or alien impregnation

De Acuerdo Agree GIF

Fair enough.

Ororo Munroe
3 minutes ago, SlowLoris said:

I think first three seasons were done right. Ryan’s formula worked flawlessly (almost). campy characters + historical events + social commentary + gay culture + actual horror. but you can’t use your successful formula for more then 10 years in a row tho. I can’t say that I didn’t enjoy Death Valley so far, but I wish they were had more serious tone along with their usual campy nature! 

I was thinkin' 'bout making a comeback, back to me

Ororo Munroe

Also, I kinda hate they show our generation is shows in movies and shows as mobile addicted. like, yes, I spend a lot of time with my phone, but I don’t use it when I hanging out with my friends. and friends don’t do that neither. like, if you want to show how kids are obsessed with their devices you don’t have to say it straight away like: OmG GuYs We SiTtINg HeRe FoR HoUr AnD yOu AlReAdY iN yOuR pHoNeS! 

I was thinkin' 'bout making a comeback, back to me

Levine
On 9/30/2021 at 5:47 PM, Bradley said:

That African-American actress legit cried over lines about acidic c*m. The level of dedication she gave to the terrible writing is admirable. :enigma:

I'm screamingggg ahahhahahaha it's so true!

_

But I don't know guys, I kinda liked this episode? Of course there are many flaws like y'all are saying, but I enjoyed it. Let's see how it goes

Bradley
1 hour ago, Levine said:

I'm screamingggg ahahhahahaha it's so true!

_

But I don't know guys, I kinda liked this episode? Of course there are many flaws like y'all are saying, but I enjoyed it. Let's see how it goes

I mean it wasn't bad to me, I don't mind a little bit of campiness, but I just had no hope that they could close the show decently.

thatfoxyfeeling

So the first episode for Death Valley was a complete mess which is a shame because I was looking forward to a alien/abduction themed season. :cryga:

I don’t know if it was the acting, the writing, the directing, the score or just everything combined. The cliché sci fi sound effects were too much for me. :yennefer:

Dominic

Love this season overall, its been brilliant. Wasn't keen on the modern storyline because it's the standard Murphy teen nonsense but we'll see how it goes  

The hardest thing in this world is to live in it

Queen Bitch

The first episode of Death Valley was so bad. Like the black&white half was actually good, but it went to sh!t from there. It tried too be hard to be funny and failed miserably. That joke about the jewish guy hiring that other to f him because jews can only bottom on sundays was so cringe

The preaching about young people using their phones too much was cringe

Kaia Gerber's "acting" was cringe as usual

The last conversation about eating ass was cringe

Everything was f*cking cringe. It felt like an episode American Horror Stories

I haven't seen it yet and I'm quaking bc everyone hates it, I don't want to hate it lol

Magneto
On 9/26/2021 at 1:07 PM, imitalian said:

All the future ahs season should have 5-6 episodes cause its the only way the story doesnt become a bloated mess with forgettable and unnecessary plots. I liked this season cause it was clear and straightforward with one main storyline, few defined characters and linear storytelling.

Ryan if you're reading this, pls hire this person :diane: 

This has always been my biggest problem with all the seasons of AHS. Yes, even the first ones for the Asylum/Coven stans. All seasons have a lot of potential, but all suffer from filler flashback episodes, unnecessary plots and forgettable storylines that just distract from the main story line.

Lowkey I'd love a reboot of the whole show (yes you heard me), where it's just fewer episodes and more streamlined storylines. Asylum could've done without the alien abduction and zombie storylines and still be amazing! It also leaves more content for other seasons so they don't overlap.

Thank you for coming to my TED-talk,

Signed a long timed, but opinionated fan

Free my mind

high culture

I absolutely love this season! I haven’t anticipated a new episode of a show like this in a long time. 

I understand the criticisms of the first episode of Death Valley, I think to many there seemed to be a decrease in quality after the time jump. To me, the jump from the antiquity, properness, and simple elegance of the 50s to the absurdity and cringeyness of the modern day was definitely intentional and was meant to symbolize the change in our society. They have already alluded to the popular theory that Eisenhower made a deal with the aliens in the 50s to get their technology which is why we have things like computers and cell phones today. 
The modern timeline def is not as appealing on the surface level as the 50s timeline, but I do have faith that they will bring it back around in a great way. I think this is their best season in a long time!

• Guest changed the title to AHS10: Double Feature (DISCUSSION)

Archived