💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

Kacey Musgraves – star-crossed (album out now)

nightadieu

Featured Posts

nightadieu
22 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Again, I feel somewhat let down by a Kacey album. She always seems to have this deal where half her songs are good and the other half are bland and forgettable so all her albums are only halfway decent for me. I really thought she was onto something when I heard the intro song but then to find out that the rest of it doesn't sound anything like it was such a letdown. I don't know what she was thinking by doing a bit of modern tinged RnB with Good Wife, it doesn't suit her at all. The writing's still good but a lot of the beats are just not it. My favourites were Star-Crossed, If This Was A Movie, Justified, Angel, Hookup Scene, Keep Lookin' Up and Gracias a la Vida but the rest just seem like filler. I'm surprised she continues to get solid reviews because this seems to be a real problem that no critic is addressing. I thought this would be a more cut-throat break-up album too but it wasn't really and apart from the opening song, I really don't see a lot of Romeo and Juliet inspiration either. I thought going down a more pop route might be good for her but now I don't know.

That’s actually really interesting – I couldn’t get into her previous music as it was too shallow for me. Star-Crossed however is on repeat since Friday and the songs you have said to like best I like the least ans vise versa. I’m really enjoying the beats and production and think they sound great with her voice

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/10/2021 at 4:14 PM, WheresMy911Alice said:

So I gave this a listen last night, and I was kinda underwhelmed. Golden Hour was instantly likeable and I connected to every single track. This album has stellar production but the lyrics are sometimes too bubblegum for me 

"Put my lip gloss on
Kick it at the mall like there's nothing wrong" :ohwell:

"He wants a breadwinner
He wants your dinner" :bear:

It feels like she took a step back, lyrically. I will definitely give this more listens but at first it feels very elementary and almost like a high school girl writing about her divorce :sharon: don't come for me as I will probably come back a few days later saying it's the best album of the year :lolga:

EDIT: From what I remember, the standout tracks are starcrossed, justified, camera roll ...

That’s how I felt upon my first listen but I instantly loved it on my second. I hope you end up liking it too! I’m not super familiar with the rest of her discography so I really didn’t have anything to compare it to

BlingNotTheMusic
4 hours ago, huttont said:

That’s how I felt upon my first listen but I instantly loved it on my second. I hope you end up liking it too! I’m not super familiar with the rest of her discography so I really didn’t have anything to compare it to

It's slowly growing on me I think. The comparative nature to an artist's previous work is pretty common. Golden Hour was her crossover record so it's kinda hard to top that. 

just finished watching the film: she ****ing left what doesn’t kill me out! BLASPHEMY, how dare she? arguably, my second fave off the record (after simple times). I’M OUTRAGED 🥺 :excuseu:

stella + elliot = stelliot

Glamourpuss

I am very underwhelmed. Golden Hour has songs that are so beautiful and make me feel like this > :flutter: but the new album makes me feel like > :noparty: 

Normally I would give an album a chance to grow on me but I feel like I've already made up my mind on this and probably won't return to it. 

BlingNotTheMusic
3 hours ago, Glamourpuss said:

I am very underwhelmed. Golden Hour has songs that are so beautiful and make me feel like this > :flutter: but the new album makes me feel like > :noparty: 

Normally I would give an album a chance to grow on me but I feel like I've already made up my mind on this and probably won't return to it. 

I felt this way the first listen or two but I kept listening and stopped comparing it to Golden Hour (one of my fav records ever) and I like it more now. Not on GH level but the production and layers on this album is insane. 

Glamourpuss
On 9/14/2021 at 12:24 AM, WheresMy911Alice said:

I felt this way the first listen or two but I kept listening and stopped comparing it to Golden Hour (one of my fav records ever) and I like it more now. Not on GH level but the production and layers on this album is insane. 

I gave it another chance and it's grown on me a lot. I don't compare it to Golden Hour anymore and can appreciate it as its own thing. I think the production is what I like the best, particularly the bridge and last verse of Camera Roll. 

BlingNotTheMusic
5 hours ago, Glamourpuss said:

I gave it another chance and it's grown on me a lot. I don't compare it to Golden Hour anymore and can appreciate it as its own thing. I think the production is what I like the best, particularly the bridge and last verse of Camera Roll. 

It's crazy how the more I listen to it in full, It's almost a different experience :classy:

papergangster
On 9/13/2021 at 12:30 PM, spector said:

just finished watching the film: she ****ing left what doesn’t kill me out! BLASPHEMY, how dare she? arguably, my second fave off the record (after simple times). I’M OUTRAGED 🥺 :excuseu:

It’s in the film, just not sung by her. 

1 hour ago, papergangster said:

It’s in the film, just not sung by her. 

yes, for, like, 10 seconds during the church scene. i don’t count that. :triggered:

stella + elliot = stelliot

Archived