news

VMAS Debut Moon Persons

Stupid Oreo

Featured Posts

Stupid Oreo

First of all, they are stunning

Secondly, we stan it being called a ‘person’:vegas:

C73-C4-E4-E-AF71-4-CEC-BC33-5-CAA547425-

“American artist Kehinde Wiley has designed a new version of the iconic MTV Moon Person Trophy, as Rolling Stone points out. The updated statuette was created as part of MTV’s 40th anniversary celebration. Wiley’s Moon Person is adorned with flowers and green vines, and “represents inclusivity and diversity marked by the historical, environmental and nature relevance of the botanicals,” as MTV told RS. Winners will receive the updated trophy at the 2021 MTV Video Music Awards.”

MTV: “Each intertwined vine or leaf has a different historical relevance, such as the seeds from African slaves, that are woven into the American tapestry. The sculpture complements Wiley’s forthcoming series of portraits, in which he plans to create paintings featuring his subjects lying on their sides as vines encircle their bodies.”

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ToxicHot

I really like the sentiment of what the decorations stand for, but it looks kind of.....tacky. :selena: For a sculpture it’s nice, but not for a trophy that’s going to be given to every winner. The Moon Person is iconic, I really don’t think they had to change it like this.

dOnT sAd ReAcT mE 2 bE sHaDy i WiLL RePoRt U!!1!

River

Not a fan of tbh, It looks like Poison Ivy attacked it.

And not really feeling the important story behind it that the artist wants to tell, but I guess I'm not really an art person so I don't get the story - art connection of the artist, so idk for a simple person like me, I would like to get it an important message like this by first look for a popular piece like the moon person:shrug:

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

Dr Fudge

It’s a nice sentiment, but I think as a society we’re going about inclusion and diversity in the wrong way. We shouldn’t just be changing “man” to something gender neutral to accommodate people, but instead adding a new type of award. Basically what I’m trying to say is that subtraction isn’t the answer, but addition is. We’re a beautiful, creative society. We should keep adding, not just changing. Equity is about boosting underrepresented people to give them equal platform. 

Been a cuff touple, a puff bupple, a tough couple of years.

S0436

Why not just make and design a totally new statue then? Makes no sense as there is no foliage on the moon!

brennan731

They've done this in 2013 with KAWS and also with Jeremy Scott in 2015. It's art, some will like it, some won't. I personally love it. 

TimisaMonster

The shiny moon man was fine...:awkney:

Moon person with weird vines all over it makes zero sense...

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

James Gibson

Wow this is ugly

Also they changed the name to moonperson in 2017 when they eliminated the gendered categories. Its no news.

Archived