Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Matt Damon says he just recently stopped using the homophobic f-word slur

Teletubby

Featured Posts

FrederickSpears

This man is a famous actor SURROUNDED by gay people, and he just recently stopped using that homophobic slur? He's garbage. Good for his daughter, glad someone has brains in that family. She didn't get it from him I'm guessing.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HIM820
1 hour ago, BornAsUnic0rn said:

“men just like him”, what do you mean by that? Like… please explain.

Because this is not a “men like him” issue. Homophobia, racism and other forms of hatred and discrimination are social issues, not just a certain group of people being the issue. It was and to a certain degree is socially acceptable to be homophobic and say homophobic things.

I, as a gay man, only a year ago stopped using this slur and completely stopped accepting people saying it. Realizing that my acceptance with those things enables others to do likewise.

Putting the burden of hatred and discrimination on one group of people isn’t going to bring us all together in the right direction, it creates more divide. 

Seemingly straight men. I am a gay man too and have worked and played sports with men exclusively at times and they (assuming I was straight) would use homo gay and f*ggot flippantly all the time. Whether they were using it to put down someone or something was specific to whatever situation. It made me uncomfortable obviously, but they had the assumption we were “all the same” when we weren’t, as I was still in the closet. Matt who has been working for decades in Hollywood, knows he is surrounded by gay men and women. Whether they are his writers, makeup artists, directors, etc. He 100% knows that, so I find it hard to believe he is just finding out it’s not socially acceptable to say. Yet here is this interview. 

I’m actually the opposite of you. I never used the word my entire life because of the trauma associated with it. It always made me uncomfortable. Then once I started making more gay friends they showed me the power in reclaiming it. It gave me the power to hear the word and be okay with it not hurting me. I never personally use it, because I never really adopted it to my go to vocab. Some of my friends definitely use the word, but never as a put down to someone else. They will never say it with a negative connotation. Whether that’s putting a burden on one group, I really don’t know- or care. I’m not dedicating the rest of my life to trying to bridge the gap between the homophobic people and non homophobes, as I gave years of my life trying to change people in my family. I can only speak on where I am right now as a gay man just trying to survive. 

judaspriest
2 minutes ago, HIM820 said:

I’m actually the opposite of you. I never used the word my entire life because of the trauma associated with it. It always made me uncomfortable. Then once I started making more gay friends they showed me the power in reclaiming it. It gave me the power to hear the word and be okay with it not hurting me. I never personally use it, because I never really adopted it to my go to vocab. Some of my friends definitely use the word, but never as a put down to someone else. They will never say it with a negative connotation. 

"Wear it like armor and it can never be used to harm you"

Healed My Heart

Honestly, I'm glad it at least got through to him. When my parents say inappropriate things and I call them out they just get defensive and say "we grew up in a different time" with no effort to change.

She/her 💗💜💙

lasagna

that word has always been a slur, and given that hes literally 50 years old, he knew that. he doesnt deserve any praise for only recently not using it.

he knew better, he just didnt care.

human turd

enissa11

2021, breaking news: straights discover social injustice

Mad Architect of Light

Ziggy

Like yeah that’s great, progress. But my thing is more like why do men say this s**t with such pride? This isn’t really anything to be proud of but here he is promoting a movie out here speaking this to the heavens bold as brash

TimisaMonster

So it took the disapproval of your young daughter to understand the hurt and offensive use of that word?

He's a grown ass man...there's no excuse...but actions speak louder than words

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

BLACKOUTbritney
8 hours ago, highwayunicorn9 said:

This is so interesting to see because today while at lunch with my boyfriend at a Mexican restaurant a worker was yelling across the patio to his coworkers and used the f-slur but in Spanish. We asked to speak to the manager and he completely denied it even though we heard it clear as day. It’s a sad reminder that things have changed a lot but there’s still work to be done.

My partner is Colombian and his Colombian, Brazilian and Spanish friends use the f word all the time as a joke. I guess because it doesn’t sound as aggressive as the f word it never bothered me. This comment actually got me really thinking about it.

From what he explained to me, in Spanish the word can be a term of endearment between friends. I think the f word in English just always sounds so aggressive so it doesn’t suit being used as a term of endearment

17 hours ago, FreeBritney said:

This man is a famous actor SURROUNDED by gay people, and he just recently stopped using that homophobic slur? He's garbage. Good for his daughter, glad someone has brains in that family. She didn't get it from him I'm guessing.

This made me giggle in real life :fan:

Archived