💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Matt Damon says he just recently stopped using the homophobic f-word slur

Teletubby

Featured Posts

Wolf Boy
1 hour ago, flyaway said:

Didn't he also turn a blind eye when he knew about H Weinstein's abuse by choosing not to say anything at all? 

I'm not a fan of him.  

Didn’t all of Hollywood do this?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RichAssPiss

I'm sorry but why does he think it had "a different meaning" when he was growing up? It had the same meaning. He just didn't understand the meaning.

highwayunicorn9

This is so interesting to see because today while at lunch with my boyfriend at a Mexican restaurant a worker was yelling across the patio to his coworkers and used the f-slur but in Spanish. We asked to speak to the manager and he completely denied it even though we heard it clear as day. It’s a sad reminder that things have changed a lot but there’s still work to be done.

PartySick

What other "application" has that word ever had aside from being a bundle of sticks 100+ years ago in England? :selena:

🖤

BornAsUnic0rn
2 hours ago, HIM820 said:

Um to all the comments saying he’s of the older generation… he’s 50- not 80. Yea it’s technically older but his generation is still somewhat culturally relevant to know certain things. That on top of the fact he isn’t working in some kind of field where he’s in a bubble with men just like him. He’s in the entertainment industry. He should 100% know better. 

“men just like him”, what do you mean by that? Like… please explain.

Because this is not a “men like him” issue. Homophobia, racism and other forms of hatred and discrimination are social issues, not just a certain group of people being the issue. It was and to a certain degree is socially acceptable to be homophobic and say homophobic things.

I, as a gay man, only a year ago stopped using this slur and completely stopped accepting people saying it. Realizing that my acceptance with those things enables others to do likewise.

Putting the burden of hatred and discrimination on one group of people isn’t going to bring us all together in the right direction, it creates more divide. 

MadreMonster

He acts like it was ok in the old days to use the f-word… it was still used derogatorily towards our community. It wasn’t used to praise us.

Whocking it took him this long.

Cruelty

The way he brought this out like it was a cushy little anecdote rather than something deeply worrying that a prominent media figure was happy to throw homophobic slurs around in 2021-

ItWasntLaauv

Okay coming back to this thread. The replies are interesting. He came out and admitted his wrong before anyone called him out for it publicly. I thought that’s what people wanted when it came to taking accountability, but for some reason, since it’s him,  we’re shaming him for it. PICK A LANE YOU GUYS.

Cruelty
6 minutes ago, ItWasntLaauv said:

Okay coming back to this thread. The replies are interesting. He came out and admitted his wrong before anyone called him out for it publicly. I thought that’s what people wanted when it came to taking accountability, but for some reason, since it’s him,  we’re shaming him for it. PICK A LANE YOU GUYS.

I'm all for him taking accountability, I just think my issue is with him bringing it up at all - as others have pointed out, why did he... feel the need?

The way the anecdote is framed as well - the interview is about generational differences, and the way he slides from 'today's teenagers text whilst they're watching movies, this is causing the death of the movie' onto 'today's teenagers tell you not to use homophobic language' kinda creates this false equivalence suggesting that the word in question has only recently become taboo, when that's... very clearly not the case?

And now we have people praising this man for... not throwing slurs at us anymore? WHY IS THE BAR THIS LOW.

ItWasntLaauv
17 minutes ago, NeonSkeleton said:

I'm all for him taking accountability, I just think my issue is with him bringing it up at all - as others have pointed out, why did he... feel the need?

The way the anecdote is framed as well - the interview is about generational differences, and the way he slides from 'today's teenagers text whilst they're watching movies, this is causing the death of the movie' onto 'today's teenagers tell you not to use homophobic language' kinda creates this false equivalence suggesting that the word in question has only recently become taboo, when that's... very clearly not the case?

And now we have people praising this man for... not throwing slurs at us anymore? WHY IS THE BAR THIS LOW.

I’m not going to speak for how someone was socialized, I don’t know his life or the way him and the people around him talk. Maybe he’s telling the truth, f*ggot is definitely still widely used, maybe not in pop culture, but it’s used nonetheless very often in casual conversations depending on where you’re at, especially in middle aged individuals. There are also many people who use it without thinking deeply about what the word means, like the example that Matt used for his situation.

Yeah it may have taken him a while to stop using it or whatever, but he stopped nonetheless and publicly gave his daughter kudos for helping in being more conscious of his words. That’s great if you ask me!!

Archived