💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Gaga's Accent in House of Gucci

KarmaPolice

Featured Posts

GipJo
1 hour ago, Scri said:

What I don't get (I mean know it, but I find this solution a choice) is why they needed to add the accent. If the character is an Italian speaking English it's perfectly understandable, but it's the actor that is speaking English...

Not to talk about the quality of the accent

It's a very Italian movie, so the accent make the immersion much stronger.

The Last Duel doesn't have French accent, because besides the setting, the story could happen anywhere, the location of the story doesn't really add much to the story.

SoI think Ridley thought this through and clearly knows what he wants.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
judaspriest
1 hour ago, Bradley said:

My very limited knowledge of the Italian accent comes from Assassin's Creed Ezio trilogy and I thought they sounded pretty close to each other, but what do I know :bear:

AC II and Brotherhood are STILL hands down the best games in that franchise, all the sequels have been much inferior

Omegahedron

Love the trailer and Gaga. But I heard Russian in a lot of places with it.

Italian is quite a sing-song lyrical accent. And hard to capture without doing a pastiche.

dynamite

The Russian explains why I thought she sounded like the adopted girl in Orphan then lol :bear:

Karen Smith

I speak Polish and yes her accent is like polish or russian, but it's cute. I guess it's not easy to say strong R for an American person. 

Killa

At first 10 seconds I thought 

ize french? Then humm signora Russiana then ohh she’s trying to sound mysterious

def lacking the open vowels and less precise consonants but

i thought she worked her character. 
but yeah she sounded so Russian at first impact. 
the rs, as a singer I see this in every American. They think Italian is all about the r. But that I thought worked well

the problem was that she’s trying to deepen the voice and did it by darkening the vowels

on other hand there’s jaw tension, tho I thought that was well used for her acting. Anywho it’s fun she’s going for it. I can’t wait for the premiere

enissa11
20 minutes ago, Omegahedron said:

Love the trailer and Gaga. But I heard Russian in a lot of places with it.

Italian is quite a sing-song lyrical accent. And hard to capture without doing a pastiche.

the sing-song lyrical accent i've heard only with italian people that is still learning english, or on the contrary people that want to parody the italian accent without intentions of being subtle at all

Mad Architect of Light

Batwings

I could hear a little bit of Russian seeping in here and there, but I don't think it will be an issue, and I am just glad it's not the over-the-top "IT'S A SPICY-A MEAT-A-BALLS-A!" Italian accent that some actors do. 

DanielM

That question will be the greatest issue for the critics. The accent is that fine line between a meh performance and a great performance. Meryl Streep's career is all about accents. I'm okay with Gaga doing just a good performance but I'm not expecting an Oscar for acting in her second gig in movies. I just feel sorry for the people here because everybody is SURE she will have another great award season. I wish fans would take down their expectations. 

Monster Voices

As a Bulgarian - she does not sound slavic/russian. The english r-s are sneaking in, but it is not bad at all. 

Forever and Always!

GipJo
8 minutes ago, DanielM said:

That question will be the greatest issue for the critics. The accent is that fine line between a meh performance and a great performance. Meryl Streep's career is all about accents. I'm okay with Gaga doing just a good performance but I'm not expecting an Oscar for acting in her second gig in movies. I just feel sorry for the people here because everybody is SURE she will have another great award season. I wish fans would take down their expectations. 

Who are you to say that critics would not like her accents? We haven't seen the movie yet, and it's given that we monsters would hope she gets another great award season, nothing is sure and we all know that.

RAMROD

Personally doesn't bother me :sis:

Accents are sexy

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

latina twilight

Tbh only the opening lines on the trailer bothered me, and that could be because I'm so used to Gaga's own speaking voice.

The rest I'm okay with. She does sound a lot like Patrizia in the tea scene, at least for my ears. There's always lots of different opinions on accents in movies, and I have seen more positive than negative to Gaga's, so I'm at peace with it.

Also, the trailer shows very little compared to a 2 hour movie, so I trust the rest is even better.

"YOU USED TO BE SO KIND, I NEVER KNEW YOU HAD SUCH A DIRRTY MIND".

Archived