💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Olivia Rodrigo is being accused of talking in a Blaccent

Teletubby

Featured Posts

PartySick
43 minutes ago, Pennywise said:

The English I have learned does include AAVE, for example, because I learned it through media and not from an academic

This might be a controversial take (shocker) but imo, we're not as segregated as people think. Light and dark skinned people do have different experiences in the US but we still grow up around each other, we're friends with each other, we go to the same schools, live in the same neighborhoods, work at the same jobs, of course we're going to trade some language.

I think this whole AAVE/blaccent thing is a really weird take. Not so much acknowledging that the terms and way of speaking originate from black entertainment and households but the whole "cancel them because they're speaking like that"...idk, it's just another one of those things that I think only serves to further divide and vilify people rather than educating anyone.

Like, I was friends with a lot of black girls in high school and I picked up some lingo from them 'cause I spent literally every day with them for years. It was the same for white guys who would hang out with black guys or they'd listen to black artists and emulate them because they enjoyed their music. Imagine being shamed for that :toofunny:

🖤

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
spector

it’s just gen z talk, an effect of cultural amalgamation across geographical and virtual terrains of life. it’s not a new phenomenon—it’s generational. :enigma:

stella + elliot = stelliot

Gaga2645
1 hour ago, Admin said:

Genuine question: what if it’s not her home environment, but cultural environment? I mean, could it be that these teenagers are so influenced by Black culture from the Internet that they unintentionally adapt it?

Kind of like, English is not my first language, so I didn’t even know it when I was a kid (let alone spoke it with any kind of accent). Then at the age of like 8 I started learning it and I was actually taught British English. But now I speak with an American accent because pretty much everything I consume in English comes from the US. You know what I mean? It’s not intentional.

Being from a different country and adopting an accent thru social media is kind of different than living in the US because you are very much aware of the systemic racism attached with AAVE. However considering I’m non-black this isn’t really my place. However what I can say is with miss rodrigo is this very common within hispanic culture, but it doesn’t make it right. With it being 2021 she should very well know better. 

Chlorine Sevigny
5 minutes ago, spector said:

it’s just gen z talk, an effect of cultural amalgamation across geographical and virtual terrains of life. it’s not a new phenomenon—it’s generational. :enigma:

I love this. :applause:

js4754394o9823
18 minutes ago, ChavaWM said:

Quick question. Is she Hispanic?

Because I grew up in a very chicano area, around lots of gangs and that is also how people out here talk. I don't think using the word "homegirl" makes it blaccent

she's filipino american

red wine, cheap perfume and a filthy pout

Lucas
44 minutes ago, gypsy101 said:

yes it’s not a new term

Oh thanks for the info. English not being my mother tongue I had never heard this term before :)

spector
1 minute ago, PussPuss said:

I love this. :applause:

thank you :wub: i took a few semesters of cognitive and cultural linguistics during my english ba years, so i have a little bit of credit here, i’d like to believe. i also think that, by the same token, academic language can be just as cringeworthy when decontextualized, applied “incorrectly,” or, even, weaponized. it’s also a linguistic dialect, if you will, that’s the product of specific people within a specific environment across specific disciplines. i’m noticing, however, especially with the topic of mental health being at the forefront of layperson discourses, that clinical phrases and proper terminologies are being employed (appropriated?) by members of the newest generations. it shouldn’t be an issue; it’s a non-issue; in fact: it’s very much welcome. it’s a signifier of cultural and generational shifts, of terrains of margins and powers being rearranged as we speak—literally. a bit of a tangent, sorry. 😅

stella + elliot = stelliot

Economy
6 hours ago, Admin said:

Genuine question: what if it’s not her home environment, but cultural environment? I mean, could it be that these teenagers are so influenced by Black culture from the Internet that they unintentionally adapt it?

Kind of like, English is not my first language, so I didn’t even know it when I was a kid (let alone spoke it with any kind of accent). Then at the age of like 8 I started learning it and I was actually taught British English. But now I speak with an American accent because pretty much everything I consume in English comes from the US. You know what I mean? It’s not intentional.

Living in a super culturally diverse area i can tell u ppl influence eachother all the time and pick up wordings and sayings. It doesnt mean ur trying to appropriate some culture

Ppl are just too dam extra and sensitive all the time as usual. If anything these little influences should be seen as a good thing. It means cultures are mixing together as human beings rather than segregatedly constantly have race define them

Culture evolves... and in immigrant heavy Countries in particular like Canada, USA, UK etc ur particularly going to get that. Ppl are not all going to stick to their original culture of their ancestors 100% forever generation after generation perfectly devided in groups and anyone that wants that i question if they arent the ones who are actually racist who think everyones definition of identity always has to come back to race

Were not talking some serious culture thing here. Accents or sayings gets picked up all the time. Spend 1 week with a crowd and if ur impressionable enough u already start speaking like that crowd in some ways

Blastertoyo
1 hour ago, ChavaWM said:

Quick question. Is she Hispanic?

Because I grew up in a very chicano area, around lots of gangs and that is also how people out here talk. I don't think using the word "homegirl" makes it blaccent

She’s Irish, German and Filipino. I do find a lot of Filipinos had adopted this kind of “accent” though 

see: Patrick star 

Make Up Dancing GIF by PatrickStarrr

please enlighten me to death

ChavaWM
2 hours ago, Blastertoyo said:

She’s Irish, German and Filipino. I do find a lot of Filipinos had adopted this kind of “accent” though 

see: Patrick star 

Make Up Dancing GIF by PatrickStarrr

I agree.

I have Filipino cousins. Half Mexican, half Filipino. And again, they sometimes speak that way around family since it's how we grew up

ToxicHot

This reply :billie:

Well...... :trollga:

dOnT sAd ReAcT mE 2 bE sHaDy i WiLL RePoRt U!!1!

JusKeepBreathin

I personally have really watch that I don't easily move into a black accent unknowingly. I grew up in Miami so indefinitely have the Miami accent, but I grew up watching reruns of lots of black TV shows that I loved like Martin. I also speak Spanish with a Cuban accent and I'm Puerto Rican. My Spanish accent moves around alot depending on the accent of the other person too. It's more of a coping mechanism to try to fit in when it happens in Spanish. I really have to hold accents back when I speak in English for fear that someone may think I am trying to make fun of them or something when literally, it's just how my brain operates. 

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Gagaloo911

It's pretty cringe cause she sounds like she's trying to be cool, but I wouldn't be this pressed to go off on her like that lmaooo

Archived