twinning

:hor:

YOUR GOD IS NOT HERE MICHAEL NOR WILL HE EVER BE

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShayCristoforo
Just now, Admin said:

Genuine question: what if it’s not her home environment, but cultural environment? I mean, could it be that these teenagers are so influenced by Black culture from the Internet that they unintentionally adapt it?

Kind of like, English is not my first language, so I didn’t even know it when I was a kid (let alone spoke it with any kind of accent). Then at the age of like 8 I started learning it and I was actually taught British English. But now I speak with an American accent because pretty much everything I consume in English comes from the US. You know what I mean? It’s not intentional.

I get that. It’s different when you don’t know the language though. 
People who truly are guilty of blaccents already know the language, but perform it in a way that’s contrived. Even if it’s unintentional, it’s kinda annoying. 

Get the pinot ready, because it's turtle time.

dynamite

I find it cringe worthy the way that so many people talk like this now because I associate it with social media and nothing else as that's primarily where I've been exposed to it and it seems like yet another awkward trend... But it's how a lot of people from her generation talks now lol it's not fair to make it into a bigger issue, regardless of where it originated

Either way it would be nice for her and anyone else who picked up this kind of talk from Twitter to go back to the way they used to talk and leave it for the people who it originated with I guess

GucciGa
6 minutes ago, Admin said:

Genuine question: what if it’s not her home environment, but cultural environment? I mean, could it be that these teenagers are so influenced by Black culture from the Internet that they unintentionally adapt it?

Exactly. And it might not even be unintentional. When something is constantly promoted as "cool" and "hip" than an impressionable teenager is going to absorb it. 

Even teenagers growing up in the 80s with no Internet used certain slang and wore certain fashion just from watching MTV or whatever. Imagine that influence dialled up to a zillion when constantly being online. 

I just don't agree with black actors/creators being happy to take white people's money but then they get offended if they start using their slang that they use to sell their song or product. Obviously the N word is a different issue but I've even seen people get offended at white people use phrases like "what's the tea"? 😅.  It's ridiculous. 

😇

Chlorine Sevigny

Good points are being made here... with the internet and especially literally growing up on the internet for gen z, your "culture" is suddenly what you're surrounded with online (in addition to IRL of course).

Picking up this way of speaking is a bit cringeworthy but understandable, especially during a kiki -- you go to this affectation. A lot of people do it. 

Isn't this not just a youth thing? Seems most kids these days talk like this/use this slang. 

gypsy101
34 minutes ago, Lucas said:

blaccent = black accent?

yes it’s not a new term

RahrahWitch

Ima sound real old here :bradley: but that's just how almost every kid sounds these days 

Is like accusing most Latins teenagers of speaking with spanish accent. Of course is cringe worthy, but is not a bad thing, they just copy what is cool, just like almost every single adult did when they were kids. 

pop a 911

Didn’t they try canceling Gaga for using a blaccent during Enigma  :triggered:

i’m not real, i’m theatre

NichuuB
2 minutes ago, POP A 911 said:

Didn’t they try canceling Gaga for using a blaccent during Enigma  :triggered:

Oh wow. One more point to Enigma's cringe list:triggered:

Property of @Whale

littlepotter
43 minutes ago, Pennywise said:

The English I have learned does include AAVE, for example, because I learned it through media and not from an academic medium. What would that mean in the US context? 

This so much. I don't understand it. AAVE is a dialect of English. Why would it be the only language that's off limit for me to learn? I speak English as a third language and a lot of it I've learned from entertainment, so obviously parts of the vocab I'm going to learn is going to include AAVE. Why would I need to make a conscious decision not to use it? I completely understand the need for american poc to gatekeep their culture from white americans who are prone to stealing and taking advantage of their culture, it's a defense mechanism. But then this further creates a divide between AAVE and "regular" English - like, why am I supposed to learn the white version? Why not make AAVE more universally appreciated?

chaeri pls

ChavaWM

Quick question. Is she Hispanic?

Because I grew up in a very chicano area, around lots of gangs and that is also how people out here talk. I don't think using the word "homegirl" makes it blaccent

Archived