celeb

Simone Biles pulls out of Team Final for mental wellness

StarstruckIllusion

Featured Posts

Teletubby

she may return for Thursday's all-around final

i'm just a baby and @Juanlittlem is my ❀*·ꕤ. ☁️eternal enemy🌩️。˚❀

HIM820

I used to be in LOVE with gymnastics but this sport desperately needs to change, and I think (if she wants to) Simone could lead it into the future. The old USSR style of coaching should really be a thing of the past considering how much we care for mental/body health in the 21st century. But also, the old types of expectations need to change. I saw earlier people on Twitter saying “if she were a real athlete, she would pull through.” Wtf no. These are young women and HUMANS. Not just “Titans” who represent their country for sport.

Ziggy

Tbh good for her. It’s important to understand that mental headspace when doing these dangerous sports is SUPER important. She knows she can nail it. She knows when she can nail it. If she’s feeling like her headspace is going to mess her up and injure her, I’m glad she took space.

Future Lovers

la-videos-1staff-812415-sp-0725-tokyo-ol

Ariake Gymnastics Centre, Tokyo (CNN)Simone Biles withdrew from the women's team gymnastics final at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics on Tuesday, citing mental heath concerns as she attempts to protect "her body and mind."

After the final -- won by the the Russia Olympic Committee (ROC) -- Biles broke down in tears as she explained her decision.

"Whenever you get in a high stress situation, you kind of freak out," the 24-year-old told reporters. "I have to focus on my mental health and not jeopardize my health and well-being."

"It just sucks when you're fighting with your own head," she added.

The gymnasts said those competing weren't "just athletes, we're people at the end of the day" and that Team USA is planning to have a "mental rest day" on Wednesday.

Biles' emotional interview put the issue of mental health front and center of the Tokyo 2020 Olympics. Earlier on Tuesday, Naomi Osaka, who has also talked openly about her own mental health struggles, was knocked out of the women's Olympic tennis tournament.

Initially the other Team USA members wanted her to continue competing, according to Biles.

"I was like: I think the girls need to do the rest of the competition without me. They were like 'I promise you'll be fine, we watched you warm-up'. But I said 'no, I know I am going to be fine but I can't risk a medal for the team and I need to call it.

"You usually don't hear me say things like that because I usually persevere and push through things, but not to cost the team a medal. So they were like: OK, if Simone says this, we need to take it pretty serious. I had the correct people around me to do that. 

Following Biles' withdrawal, the (ROC) went on to win gold, while Team USA took silver and Great Britain bronze

"The impossible is possible" is how gymnast Angelina Melnikova described the ROC's victory, but it was Biles' psychological well-being that dominated the final's aftermath.

link to article

---------

A few reasons why this was such an important decision for her to make. 

First of all, she still carried with her the mental scars of her horrific abuse at the hands of Larry Nassar. She's been an advocate for mental health for years now and has been open with her struggles because of what she had to go through. She knows that you've got to take care of yourself and she did just that here. She demonstrated to everyone watching that it's okay to put your own health and your own safety first. No competition is worth sacrificing your mental health, not even the Olympics. And I hope that message resonates. 

Second of all, she recognized the risk. Gymnastics is a sport where if you're not 100% focused, you could die. You land the wrong way, you be off by mere inches, you make even the slightest mistake and it could mean the difference between success and a broken neck. She was asked to perform a routine so risky that there is debate as to whether or not it should be allowed in competition. She knows herself and her body and her sport so well that she knew there was a risk and that's the mark of a true athlete. 

And lastly, she is the most decorated gymnast in history. She has nothing left to prove. But, she knows that the girls on her team are here, some for the first time. She knew that her stepping up not at her best put them in a bad position and she was the definition of a team player by stepping back and having herself replaced. 

That is a true athlete. She knew she wasn't in the place to do it and she was honest with herself and with her team. 

Queen behavior methinks. 

Future Lovers
Just now, SamanthaC said:

@Forbidden Love merged your topic here. :)

Woops, I'm sorry i totally missed this thread existing. That's on me, I should've looked more thoroughly. Thank you! 

Jill
2 minutes ago, Forbidden Love said:

A few reasons why this was such an important decision for her to make. 

First of all, she still carried with her the mental scars of her horrific abuse at the hands of Larry Nassar. She's been an advocate for mental health for years now and has been open with her struggles because of what she had to go through. She knows that you've got to take care of yourself and she did just that here. She demonstrated to everyone watching that it's okay to put your own health and your own safety first. No competition is worth sacrificing your mental health, not even the Olympics. And I hope that message resonates. 

Second of all, she recognized the risk. Gymnastics is a sport where if you're not 100% focused, you could die. You land the wrong way, you be off by mere inches, you make even the slightest mistake and it could mean the difference between success and a broken neck. She was asked to perform a routine so risky that there is debate as to whether or not it should be allowed in competition. She knows herself and her body and her sport so well that she knew there was a risk and that's the mark of a true athlete. 

And lastly, she is the most decorated gymnast in history. She has nothing left to prove. But, she knows that the girls on her team are here, some for the first time. She knew that her stepping up not at her best put them in a bad position and she was the definition of a team player by stepping back and having herself replaced. 

That is a true athlete. She knew she wasn't in the place to do it and she was honest with herself and with her team. 

Queen behavior methinks. 

I loathe Team USA. I hope they don't make her do anything and that she can rest all she wants. She's a hero.

This was an official message from the Office of the First Lady.

• StarstruckIllusion changed the title to Simone Biles pulls out of Team Final for mental wellness
tyler k

the commentary online (mainly Twitter and Youtube comments) is so disgusting. I shouldn't be surprised, but people actually have the nerve to call her "weak" after what she's been through over HER ENTIRE GYMNAST CAREER. 

mmmy name ~isn't~ aliceee

Archived