🐍 Official visual for Dorian Electra's remix of "Replay" 🐍

question

Applause almost didn’t make the cut on ARTPOP?

Featured Posts

ARTVENUS

So I was randomly thinking about how Applause apparently wasn’t supposed to be on ARTPOP…? So if this is true then what was the reason it almost wasn’t released? Why did Gaga say Applause almost didn’t make the album?

Edited by ARTVENUS
CautiousLurker

She was saving it for Act II but a certain producer who shall remain nameless, threw a fit and threatened to expose Gaga as a secret stamp collector, so Gaga caved in and included it and now she doesn't have an incentive to release Act II... What I'm trying to say is - the reason we don't have Act II is because of Applause :bradley:

sniveling little Kant scholar
  • LMAO 5
nightadieu

I think it's because she wrote 70-100 songs for the album so obviously it's hard to choose which ones to include. She only considered it for the album after meeting with Jimmy from Interscope: "She told Seacrest that the track “almost didn’t make the album” until she met with Interscope Records chief Jimmy Iovine and played him 40 songs during a meeting. “We played ‘Applause’ last and Jimmy said to me, ‘Well every single record you’ve played me has been better than the one you played before it, so the last one should be the first single,'” she said."

Source: https://www.nme.com/news/music/lady-gaga-178-1265127

• Like 1
  • YAAAS 1
  • Shook 1
Amidana
3 minutes ago, nightadieu said:

I think it's because she wrote 70-100 songs for the album so obviously it's hard to choose which ones to include. She only considered it for the album after meeting with Jimmy from Interscope: "She told Seacrest that the track “almost didn’t make the album” until she met with Interscope Records chief Jimmy Iovine and played him 40 songs during a meeting. “We played ‘Applause’ last and Jimmy said to me, ‘Well every single record you’ve played me has been better than the one you played before it, so the last one should be the first single,'” she said."

Lol did she play it last because she considered scrapping it and her plan failed 

nightadieu
Just now, Amidana said:

Lol did she play it last because she considered scrapping it and her plan failed 

Assuming she wrote 70-100 songs and played a curated selection of 40 songs, I think she would have been fine with any of those being chosen

• Like 1
ARTVENUS
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Amidana said:

If you listen to the Applause concept demo leak form 2012 you hear her say “ARTPOP should end with Applause” so I think she just wanted it as the album closer from the beginning

Edited by ARTVENUS
SkinniPussi

The record industry and relentless anti-Gaga media campaign wanted to humiliate Gaga, so they came up with “Applause vs Roar” on purpose as a bad pun :excuseu:

WheresMy911Alice
27 minutes ago, nightadieu said:

40 SONGS?! :messga:

• YAAAS 2
nightadieu
8 minutes ago, SkinniPussi said:

The record industry and relentless anti-Gaga media campaign wanted to humiliate Gaga, so they came up with “Applause vs Roar” on purpose as a bad pun :excuseu:

Pretty sure it’s coincidence. Obviously, the industry heavily relies on comparing women – but Applause was scheduled to be released one week after Roar

dzox

Idk but i've read somewhere that sexx dreams was supposed to be the lead single wasnt she leaked aura because the label didnt want it to be the lead? 

• LMAO 1
  • Shook 2
A MESS
50 minutes ago, WheresMy911Alice said:

40 SONGS?! :messga:

Imagine this job, I'd end up fed up of music in just one week of meetings

• Like 3
Wet Fire

Maybe because she didn't want to include it her "the radio isn't ready for this sound" version of ARTPOP. Then obviously, the commercial vs experimental categories weren't maintained in her subsequent release of the album.

Nathaniel Arven

from what i remember, Applause was an obvious choice for the label. I think that when this song was created, somebody knew it had to be on the record.. What I mean to say is that it might not have been out of the cut for long after its birth.