Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Was ARTPOP early HYPERPOP?

AURAOFSHEISSE

Featured Posts

AURAOFSHEISSE

This is an unbiased thread I do not personally think ARTPOP is hyperpop but it is an interesting question so I wondered what others thought.

We know that hyperpop is known for its abrasive maximalist sound and electronic production. ARTPOP also has the same take, the only difference is the sounds aren’t as bubblegum ,saccharine sweet or polished as most hyperpop songs. SOPHIE who shaped the sound of hyperpop and basically invented it happened to release her debut single Nothing more to say in February and then Bipp in June of 2013. Maybe Gaga and SOPHIE started the genre without even knowing 

lady gaga drinking GIF

Thoughts?

“Hands on your knees, I’m Angelina Jolie”

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yes and

Swine sounds something that Sophie could've produced, but that's it probably 
The rest of the album is quite far from hyperpop 

Did you think I'd show up in a limousine? No

BillieGOAT

I can hear signs of it in Donatella, G.U.Y., and MANiCURE… it’s an interesting thought!

Pennywise

I don't think it has anything to do with hyperpop

YOUR GOD IS NOT HERE MICHAEL NOR WILL HE EVER BE

BleepBloop

No. Nothing about ARTPOP is hyperpop lmao. Also hyperpop’s beginnings are far more attributable to PC Music as a whole and not just SOPHIE

I know you all love to give Gaga credit for literally anything, but she hasn’t contributed anything to hyperpop – for better or for worse

Glamourpuss

Partynauseous is I think. The song and the artrave interlude. 

elijahfan

Absolutely not... Electropop has been around for decades, hyperpop is something else. To be honest, as much as I love ARTPOP, it didn't invent a new sound.

If we have to pinpoint a precursor to hyperpop as we know it today, I'd say M.I.A.

Ziggy

So I both agree and disagree with commenters here (respectfully LOL). I think ARTPOP is not hyperpop, that needs to be said. However, I do think Gaga’s maximalism at large paved the way for hyperpop to claim a foothold in pop music and ARTPOP was certainly a piece of that legacy. Gaga’s legacy in pop so far is basically creating meaning from meaninglessness and vacuousness. Whether she fully accomplished this every time is up for debate, but that’s basically it. Hyperpop operates on a similar wavelength but could only have come after something like Donatella or Applause or Paparazzi or Telephone or Scheiße hitting airwaves. They paved the way for the saccharine sweet music with silent biting teeth that is basically part and parcel with hyperpop even if they themselves are distinctively NOT hyperpop. Her approach opened the door for other unconventional approaches in popular music, the same as Madonna, Janet and others paved the way for Gaga.

QueenMortuana

Nah definitely not. If there's any overlap it's just that both are electronic music lol.

A MESS

It was late stage, late as DNR, edm

Генерал Марина Абрамовић

Archived