đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Was ARTPOP early HYPERPOP?

AURAOFSHEISSE

Featured Posts

Chesescake
46 minutes ago, stevana229 said:

no... ARTPOP was the generic EDM pop music that was very popular at the time. 

Yeah... But since hyperpop is a EDM genre we can say that ARTPOP as EDM album is... sort of, kinda like early hyperpop. :billie:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. But it’s more complicated.

ARTPOP is firmly an EDM album. It does have some features that Hyperpop would become famous for, and there are songs that might be closer to that sound like Aura or Swine, but not nearly enough for them to be Hyperpop tracks.

That said, those who are saying ARTPOP is a generic EDM album don’t know what they’re talking about. Just because it didn’t invent any new genres or inspire the next wave of artists it doesn’t mean it sounded like everything else on the radio. ARTPOP is a highly idiosyncratic album that could only be made by someone like Lady Gaga, and it pulls more from more underground EDM artists than say David Guetta or LMFAO.

I do believe ARTPOP shares a similar ethos as Hyperpop. Maximalist, overproduced, taking pop music tropes and twisting them, trying to make pop music into something avant-garde. Hyperpop succeeds where Gaga tried and kinda failed, so I believe in that regard Gaga was ahead of her time.

So while I don’t think ARTPOP invented the Hyperpop sound, as it has more in common with other EDM genres, I do believe it kinda tapped into something that Hyperpop artists would later take and run with.

Chesescake
14 minutes ago, Bae said:

No but the real question is why 25 people in this thread think Swine sounds like a Sophie production :bear:

Because it's g l e e c h i n.

Archived