💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Was ARTPOP early HYPERPOP?

AURAOFSHEISSE

Featured Posts

Chesescake
35 minutes ago, AUARAOFSHEISSE said:

Bc Sophie…the entirety of hyperpop is trying to catch up with her sound and every hyper pop song has Sophie’s influence

Not before My Teenage Dream Ended.

7143838Girl Smile GIF

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
holy scheisse
4 hours ago, A MESS said:

It was late stage, late as DNR, edm

The shade 😂

A MESS
21 minutes ago, holy scheisse said:

The shade 😂

I love ARTPOP, but reality is reality 

Генерал Марина Абрамовић

Butters Stotch

I just came here to read the comments and it amazes me how every now and then ARTPOP still generates so much debate in this forum. I love ARTPOP and I will always love Gaga and everything she does, but I do have to agree with those saying ARTPOP didn't bring nothing new in terms of music. I do recognize back then ARTPOP sounded like nothing that was being released, but it doesn't mean it was a new sound. Gaga's been clear about the influence EDM had on ARTPOP and how it was an album meant to represent her "pain exploding through electronic music", so I think Gaga perfectly knew she wasn't inventing or creating a new genre because ARTPOP wasn't just a musical project and her vision went beyond music, it was intended to be an Artistic Revolution Through the Potential of Pop, her focus was ART and making it relevant again on a landscape that focused so much on POP.

FIND YOUR FREEDOM IN THE MUSIC

Chromatislaps

nope, Hyperpop is way different, different vibe. Hyperpop is way more "90s" aqua dancepop x glitchhop/pop x industrial IDM inspired.

Yxilon

Not Gaga but artists like Yelle, Little Boots and Dev brought hyperpop into mainstream way before Sophie. Also Hannah Diamond but she's less popular. 

Everything could be everything (it could mean anything)

AURAOFSHEISSE
36 minutes ago, Butters Stotch said:

and it amazes me how every now and then ARTPOP

Thank you, after this April I can’t believe ARThaters are still here:enigma:

“Hands on your knees, I’m Angelina Jolie”

StressedOut

No it's not, it's predominantly EDM.

If I had to credit anyone with the sound, I would definitely say SOPHIE and the whole PC Music scene. I think M.I.A., Death Grips, and Crystal Castles/Alice Glass did a lot for the sound despite them not being "hyperpop" per se.

enissa11

personally i don't think ARTPOP influenced that much hyperpop, as some people said before, certainly its maximalism and chaotic nature could've paved the way to the acceptance of a more aggressive and in your face type of electronic sounds within the queer community. But It's a genre based on cynical randomness, heavy glitch repetitiveness, trashy internet memes and shitposting, ARTPOP is nothing like that. and also let's remember it's still pretty much a niche genre, and i don't think it would become mainstream anytime soon tbh.

Mad Architect of Light

PussOfYonce

only in Aura, G.U.Y and Swine but even this is a stretch, ARTPOP is it's own sound if im fully honest it might take inspiration from EDM but it does not sound like standard EDM at all 

✨ puthy tight, puthy clean, puthy fresh ✨

enissa11
2 hours ago, AUARAOFSHEISSE said:

ARTPOP may be edm but I’ve never heard anything remotely like it, everyone on here wants to write it off as this pretentious edm album but NO ONE else could have made ARTPOP:saladga:

and also ppl here treat EDM as it was merely the watered down thing that charted in 2012-13. PLS gaga bought an instrumental and wrote a song over it from a artsy experimental trance and EDM band, i bet anyone who say those things here listen to infected mushroom at all to realize that it sound more close to them than any song in the top of the charts those years, even though is not a 8 minutes long song
for those who don't know, techno, house, synthwave, trance, EBM, industrial, drum n' bass etc are all subgeres of EDM, so saying "ARTPOP is just EDM" is correct but it doesn't mean anything actually because an EDM album may be as avant-garde and experimental as any genre, most ARTPOP doesn't sound like anything else on the mainstream at the time.

Mad Architect of Light

PussOfYonce
2 minutes ago, enissa11 said:

and also ppl here treat EDM as it was merely the watered down thing that charted in 2012-13. PLS gaga bought an instrumental and wrote a song over it from a artsy experimental trance and EDM band, i bet anyone who say those things here listen to infected mushroom at all to realize that it sound more close to them than any song in the top of the charts those years, even though is not a 8 minutes long song
for those who don't know, techno, house, synthwave, trance, EBM, industrial, drum n' bass etc are all subgeres of EDM, so saying "ARTPOP is just EDM" is correct but it doesn't mean anything actually because an EDM album may be as avant-garde and experimental as any genre, most ARTPOP doesn't sound like anything else on the mainstream at the time.

atthe time or now im still waiting to see something similar to that sound

✨ puthy tight, puthy clean, puthy fresh ✨

Jose P
2 hours ago, Yxilon said:

Not Gaga but artists like Yelle, Little Boots and Dev brought hyperpop into mainstream way before Sophie. Also Hannah Diamond but she's less popular. 

Hannah Diamond is literally from PC Music, ofc she’s one of the precursors she’s from the label that started all of it. But if we’re going to credit her then it would be better to mention AG Cook who founded the label. AG and SOPHIE are the pillars of the genre.

Archived