Was ARTPOP early HYPERPOP?

AURAOFSHEISSE

Featured Posts

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Roseblud Kisses
42 minutes ago, Jose P said:

Because the PC Music label was founded in 2013, and are we going to assume AG Cook, Hannah, EASYFUN just got together immediately after hearing ARTPOP? Obviously the roots to the sound go way back, ARTPOP is literally the same EDM sound of the time as anything else. Hell, let’s credit MDNA as well then, Skrillex or any EDM producer. But for example Madonna’s Music does actually contain elements of what would become hyperpop later on.

I love ARTPOP but this fanbase needs to stop telling themselves it’s anything special and groundbreaking. It’s just standard early 2010s EDM.

Fanbase? It's the media that have changed their tunes and are now calling ARTPOP special and groundbreaking etc. But in 2013 they already said what you are saying today. Now, this is what they are saying:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/k7a88y/lady-gaga-ARTPOP-anniversary-retrospective-2020

https://cultchur.com/retrospective-review-lady-gagas-ARTPOP/

https://www.papermag.com/defense-lady-gaga-ARTPOP-2641327606.html

https://www.frieze.com/article/was-lady-gagas-ARTPOP-better-you-remember

Skinni Pussi ConfirmedT

flyaway
2 hours ago, Jose P said:

It’s just standard early 2010s EDM.

You're not saying this

sounds like standard EDM like this

or this

Or this

I mean, we can argue about ARTPOP being hyperpop or not. But why do people call it standard EDM? I mean, there are clear differences between ARTPOP and your average song from 2010-2012.

tylerjs
6 minutes ago, flyaway said:

You're not saying this

sounds like standard EDM like this

or this

Or this

I mean, we can argue about ARTPOP being hyperpop or not. But why do people call it standard EDM? I mean, there are clear differences between ARTPOP and your average song from 2010-2012.

ARTPOP has a huge place in my heart and honestly it does sound very on brand with those other songs you listed there. Yes it’s a better work than most but it does sound the same. I mean that rough synth sound in Beauty and a Beat sounds almost exactly like the one from Swine, so :pole:

ARTPOP is not and has no similarities with hyperpop. Next question :party:

🇨🇺🇧🇸 monica from rhoslc kinda had a point

A R T P O P
4 minutes ago, flyaway said:

why do people call it standard EMD

Because it was largely an EDM album. 

Aura, Venus, G.U.Y., Sexxx Dreams, Swine, Donatella, Mary Jane Holland, Gypsy and Applause were all produced with EDM sensibilities. 

If it helps provide a frame of reference there is a playlist on Spotify called EDM 2012/2013 which will help you understand the state of the genre at the time. 

AURAOFSHEISSE
2 hours ago, SkinniPussi said:

Exactly :applause:.

Everyone here fails to explain why hyperpop did not emerge with Madonna's Music (in 2000) or M.I.A.'s Arular (in 2005)??? Why did hyperpop only emerge exactly right after Gaga's ARTPOP in late 2013? That's the real question :creepflop:

Bc Sophie…the entirety of hyperpop is trying to catch up with her sound and every hyper pop song has Sophie’s influence

“Hands on your knees, I’m Angelina Jolie”

AURAOFSHEISSE

ARTPOP may be edm but I’ve never heard anything remotely like it, everyone on here wants to write it off as this pretentious edm album but NO ONE else could have made ARTPOP:saladga:

“Hands on your knees, I’m Angelina Jolie”

Agunimon

it was mostly current edm trends with influences of trap and drum and bass.

TheSlash

Well, Hyperpop doesn't necessarily have to be electronic music these days. It's more like an umbrella term for music that doesn't fit in any "traditional" genre of music.

Of course you can find all that overproduced-on-purpose bubblegum pop over there, but Dorian Electra (and many others) are a prime example that it doesn't have to be.

So to answer your question: No, I don't think so. The music can still be classified as EDM. Was it ahead of its time, tho? Absolutely :tony: .

Ew, David!

Agunimon
7 minutes ago, AUARAOFSHEISSE said:

ARTPOP may be edm but I’ve never heard anything remotely like it, everyone on here wants to write it off as this pretentious edm album but NO ONE else could have made ARTPOP:saladga:

nobody called it pretentious, but the way Gaga spoke about it certainly was; which is also a cause for the disappointment many who were hyped af for it felt. it's a very polaraizing album in the memberbase because most who don't like it (myself included) were hyped up for it and the hype didn't match what was delivered. the visuals leading up to the release were also significantly different. to say no one else could have made ARTPOP, I would agree with. it does have its moments, and if I try to look at it objectively without comparing it to born this way or the fame monster, its certainly a good album. it resonates with me in the same way that lover from taylor does (as a huge taylor fan). it just wasn't as good as the albums that came prior.

alsemanche
4 minutes ago, AUARAOFSHEISSE said:

I mean true, but it still is very much EDM sounds that have been used multiple times before it. Gaga uses them in her own way, as she does with most of her music, but it still is what it is. And saying that does NOT take away from its value at all. I don't like EDM generally, but ARTPOP remains one of my favorite Gaga albums because it's EDM (among other things too) dealt with in a very Gaga-ish way. I don't think most of the members saying it's an EDM album are writing it off as anything, they're just describing its sound and genre. I love ARTPOP, but I genuinely don't see how it's a precursor to hyperpop. If that's the case, you also have to give credit to other EDM artists and albums (which I don't believe we should because I don't think they were precursors to hyperpop either).  

Soft, soothing, and succulent

DrKindnessKunt1999

As much as I love ARTPOP, I don’t hear any Hyperpop influences. It’s an EDM album with Synth-pop, Pop-rock, and Trap influences. Would I say that ARTPOP sounds 100% like what was in the radio back in day? Not exactly. But, at the same time ARTPOP didn’t reinvent the wheel either. 

Chesescake

...not this again, last time there's a user which's full of itself being hatred, at the end the thread was close...

Yeah, yeah whatever I guess it is pre-hyper, so is Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded, so is Grimes, so is Britney Spears bla bla bla... 

7 minutes ago, alsemanche said:

I love ARTPOP, but I genuinely don't see how it's a precursor to hyperpop. If that's the case, you also have to give credit to other EDM artists and albums (which I don't believe we should because I don't think they were precursors to hyperpop either).  

I disagree about we shouldn't give credit to other EDM artists, because EDM was actually containing some electro-genre like Bubblegum Bass (PC Music label,) there's also Deconstructed Club (Arca and Sophie,) which were main influence of hyperpop.

Archived