💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Was ARTPOP early HYPERPOP?

AURAOFSHEISSE

Featured Posts

elijahfan

Once again, I love ARTPOP, but leave it to Little Monsters to assert that Donatella was culturally influential.... :ladyhaha:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Roseblud Kisses

Big question! This is like the debate about punk vs new wave. Did one follow the other, or were they parallel movements, or simply synonymous with each other for the same anti-authoritarian movement against corporate rock?

Hard to say. I mean if you listen to the Aura or Swine instrumentals, you definitely hear what could be regarded as proto-hyperpop. But that's only two tracks, and only Act I of ARTPOP. I think hyperpop definitely was part of the same wave as Gaga's ARTPOP, she herself stated that she did not invent it, it was already building up all around her and including other artists and producers. Her work of genius I guess, was invoking and inverting Andy Warhol's pop art, to give art pop, or in her case - ARTPOP - a renewed purpose and breadth, and linking it with dance, sex, art, pop and technology. The idea of synthesis, that of for example ancient pagan religion vs the Christian Renaissance, of classic Disney princesses vs blonde popstars, of artist vs critic and audience, or high art vs raves and trash culture etc, makes ARTPOP more than just a sound (as in hyperpop), but also a dialogue, or, a cycle of themes within themes about themes.

"A hybrid can withstand these things. My heart can beat with bricks and strings"

So, to answer the question. Definite maybe!

Skinni Pussi ConfirmedT

Emerald

No lol it wasn't anything new, just by-the-numbers Electropop garbage, definition of 2013.

𝐱 đ°đąđ„đ„ 𝐧𝐹𝐭 đŸđšđ«đ đžđ­

Damon

definitely not, it's just average edm, i think we can track early hyperpop by madonna back in her music/american life era has some 

... and now i just sit in silence.

flyaway

LG invented Hyperpop before it became popular, even if this forum is still in denial. 

Jose P

Hyperpop, whilst a very broad term, still has a characteristic sound and production style no matter its iteration, and ARTPOP has none of it. Not everything that sounds abrasive is hyperpop. Not even hyperpop itself has to actually be aggressive like 100 gecs or Dorian, just listen to Hannah Diamond as an example.

What is called “hyperpop” can be traced to many artists before PC Music was founded, like M.I.A or even farther back to Music era Madonna, but not Gaga. Let’s stop being delulu 

Roseblud Kisses
19 minutes ago, flyaway said:

LG invented Hyperpop before it became popular, even if this forum is still in denial. 

Exactly :applause:.

Everyone here fails to explain why hyperpop did not emerge with Madonna's Music (in 2000) or M.I.A.'s Arular (in 2005)??? Why did hyperpop only emerge exactly right after Gaga's ARTPOP in late 2013? That's the real question :creepflop:

Skinni Pussi ConfirmedT

littlepotter

I agree that it introduced to the music sphere a maximalism that was lacking before and it could have helped lead to Hyperpop. I've read articles about it

chaeri pls

flyaway
1 minute ago, SkinniPussi said:

Everyone here fails to explain why hyperpop did not emerge with Madonna's Music (in 2000) or M.I.A.'s Arular (in 2005)??? Why did hyperpop only emerge exactly right after Gaga's ARTPOP in late 2013? That's the real question :creepflop:

Very much that.

This forum likes to dismiss ARTPOP so bad, but its influence on this new generation is undeniable. 

Jose P
5 minutes ago, SkinniPussi said:

Because the PC Music label was founded in 2013, and are we going to assume AG Cook, Hannah, EASYFUN just got together immediately after hearing ARTPOP? Obviously the roots to the sound go way back, ARTPOP is literally the same EDM sound of the time as anything else. Hell, let’s credit MDNA as well then, Skrillex or any EDM producer. But for example Madonna’s Music does actually contain elements of what would become hyperpop later on.

I love ARTPOP but this fanbase needs to stop telling themselves it’s anything special and groundbreaking. It’s just standard early 2010s EDM.

Archived